Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-19-2019, 12:56 AM   #1
SoggyGeek
SoggyGeek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite Touchscreen Intermittent

Hi all, I am pulling my hair out with my old reliable (~2013 model) Kindle Paperwork touchscreen acting up. I can't tell you the exact model right now (but will edit it in later when I can retrieve it). But it has no keyboard and no page switches, only has an On button on the bottom and operates by touch. It does have a backlight. It was purchased I think in late 2013, and it's a "with advertising" wifi-only model.

This one has been in a cover it's whole life, mainly on the shelf next to my bed. The screen has not been damaged, and it is not dirty.

A few weeks ago, I got an update to the firmware. Don't remember if I asked for it or whether it just updated when I switched the wifi on.

A couple of days later, I switched it on, and the touchscreen won't do anything. It responds to the on/off button, the ads change when I turn it on and off, and if I hold the button in, I eventually get to the home screen where there are options to cancel, restart, or screen off. But I can't do anything because the touchscreen isn't working.

I did a bunch of Googling and found the restart procedure (hold on/off button in for 40+ seconds), and have restarted/reset a bunch of times. (it has never done a factory reset (wipe clean), however.) This changes nothing.

What DID work was to let the battery completely run out (this takes several days if it is fully charged and the wifi is off). Once it completely died, I had a big dead battery symbol on the screen. Then I charged it, and when I started it up, the touchscreen works again. For a little while... It's non-responsive now.

I can accept that the touchscreen mechanism might eventually fail. It's electronics and electronics doesn't last forever. But I can't accept that it starts working again after I let the battery go completely dead and then start it up.

I am not a suspicious person, but I sure have been getting lots of push from Amazon to upgrade my Paperwhite over the last couple of months. I am wondering if the latest firmware update introduced a planned obsolescence algorithm into my unit. I am sad to see however, no barrage of "my Paperwhite touchscreen doesn't work" posts here, so probably not.

I don't mind doing a reset to fix the issue when it's needed, but I can't seem to get anything to work except to let the battery die. Anyone have any suggestions??

Next time I can get to the About screen, I'll update the post with details of which actual model I have and what firmware version I am on.

Once I get the firmware version, I may try downgrading to an earlier firmware version, if it's possible to do without too much drama (but what I've been reading in the Developer's Forum isn't making me hopeful if I have the latest firmware already.)

Thanks
SoggyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
SoggyGeek
SoggyGeek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
OK! The battery finally went to zero, and I've recharged it, and the touchscreen works again... at least for a little while (last time it only lasted a day or so and then went unresponsive again). Now I have the info on my Kindle Paperwhite from the About Screen.

My Serial Number starts with 90D4, the Firmware Number is 5.11.1.1 (3528530001) and I have 907 Mb free.

Can this firmware be downgraded? Do you think my problem might be FW, or is it just starting-to-fail hardware?

Thanks.
SoggyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Don't keep letting that battery go completely flat, that can damage it beyond repair. It may just be getting old.

Reset it to factory, that about all you've not yet tried. I've no info about downgrading an update, but someone else might.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Kindle firmware downgrades can only bee done by opening the case and connecting to the serial port, which usually includes soldering. See the serial port threads in the Kindle Developer's Corner forum.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
redhen
redhen began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD
My Kindle PW also have the same problem as you. So far I have not found any fix. Would be grateful to revive my beloved PW Kindle.
redhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:43 PM   #6
pracom
pracom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
I seem to be experiencing exactly the same problem with my Kindle PW touchscreen which I believe is about the same generation model. Has anyone found a satisfactory solution to this issue?
pracom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paperwhite, touchscreen