Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #16
impry
Enthusiast
impry began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4 (2011)
Well, now I'm very curious. In the first post pox67 said that theres a difference in contrast between the PRS 505's screen and the Bebook. Other users didnt find any problem. Maybe they should use a magnifying glass to find these little dots? Its a little mysterious. (Or the PRS 505 have smaller black dots, or fewer?) One big reason was for me to buy an ebook reader is the screen's quality. /I have used many PDA's, starting a Handrspring Visor Platinum, long time ago /.
impry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #17
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by impry View Post
Well, now I'm very curious. In the first post pox67 said that theres a difference in contrast between the PRS 505's screen and the Bebook. Other users didnt find any problem. Maybe they should use a magnifying glass to find these little dots? Its a little mysterious. (Or the PRS 505 have smaller black dots, or fewer?) One big reason was for me to buy an ebook reader is the screen's quality. /I have used many PDA's, starting a Handrspring Visor Platinum, long time ago /.
It appears that all eInk screens have very tiny imperfections when viewed close enough. Here is a closup view of a Sony screen:

http://flickr.com/photos/nickgray/35218857/

I had to use a 10X magnifier to see them on my BeBook, but they are there just like the Sony screen.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
impry
Enthusiast

Its okay. So there are models, where these dots are quite visible without magnify, (like the device I have) and others, where these dots are small enough not to care about.
The problem is, that these dots (lots of) can make the screen look more greyish when its should be "white". Throwing away the great contrast, what is could give.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think the way that eInk "works" provides a simple explanation for this.

A "pixel" on an eInk screen is a fluid-filled cell containing lots of little particles which are black on one side, and white on the other. They "flip" from "white side up" to "black side up" and vice versa when the appropriate electric current is passed through the cell.

I think that all that's happening here is that when the screen is "white", a small fraction of the cell particles are still showing "black", hence the tiny little black dots which "dust" the screen if you look at it very closely.

That's just an "off the cuff" guess at what's happening, but I think it might well be the correct explanation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #20
impry
Enthusiast

Thanks again Harry.
I've found pics here: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...hu-hu%26sa%3DN and here: http://people.cs.vt.edu/~njustn/DSC00355.JPG
They are quite reassuring.
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #21
pox67
Connoisseur
pox67 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (stolen), Bebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A "pixel" on an eInk screen is a fluid-filled cell containing lots of little particles which are black on one side, and white on the other. They "flip" from "white side up" to "black side up" and vice versa when the appropriate electric current is passed through the cell.
I was using the term pixel as the smallest element of a screen. Thus one of your little flippers.

Either Bebook has a bad batch of eink screens or they are noticeably inferior to the Sony PRS-505 screens. Even when the Bebook is off there is noticeable greying of the screen.
pox67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox67 View Post
Either Bebook has a bad batch of eink screens or they are noticeably inferior to the Sony PRS-505 screens. Even when the Bebook is off there is noticeable greying of the screen.
Sorry to ask an obvious question, but have you directly compared the BeBook screen to that of the Sony? They use an identical screen, and all eInk screens are "grey" rather than "white".
Old 02-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #23
pox67
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry to ask an obvious question, but have you directly compared the BeBook screen to that of the Sony? They use an identical screen, and all eInk screens are "grey" rather than "white".
No I haven't done a direct comparison as the Bebook was a replacement for the stolen Sony. I remember first starting up the Bebook though and thinking - that doesn't look right.

I am pretty sure the Sony uses an 8 grey scale screen where the Bebook uses a 4 grey scale so the screens are no identical.

Has anyone opened up their eink device to take a look at the screen?
Does it have a serial number or manufacturer number?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I am pretty sure the Sony uses an 8 grey scale screen where the Bebook uses a 4 grey scale so the screens are no identical.
The screens are identical, made in the same factory on the same line. It is the controller (sort of like a video card) that is different.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:30 AM   #25
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Has anyone opened up their eink device to take a look at the screen?
Does it have a serial number or manufacturer number?
All eInk displays come from the eInk Corporation.
http://www.eink.com/products/matrix/imaging_film.html
Old 02-07-2009, 03:31 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The screens are identical, made in the same factory on the same line. It is the controller (sort of like a video card) that is different.

BOb
Absolutely right. ALL 6" eInk devices use the identical screen. It's the only one available - there are no alternatives.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:35 AM   #27
impry
Enthusiast

Hello again! I get an update to my question/problem. I've a really nice support in my country to my V3 (Koobe). They are really helpful. After a few letters, they sent me a possible solution! Its possible that I have to update the EPD waveform version to a newer one. I'll give it a try after work. If anybody interested, I'll post my results, and the method how to do it.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #28
Dave_S
What Title ?

EDIT Ooops, posted in wrong thread.

Last edited by Dave_S; 02-17-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #29
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by impry View Post
If anybody interested, I'll post my results, and the method how to do it.
I'm interested
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #30
pox67
Connoisseur

impry,
is that update meant to clear up the screen?
If so I would be very interested!