Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
Jack in NC
Jack in NC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
"Right" or "Good" time to buy a Kobo?

Greetings from NC!

I am a MobileRead newbie. I've been reading ebooks for more than a decade, but just bought my first Ereader, a used Kobo Aura HD, a few months ago.

I love it. I'm hooked. The value of Kobo, for me, is Pocket integration and ability to read non-DRM epubs.

So, I am planning to get a Kobo Aura One for size, water resistance, Overdrive integration, and smart backlighting.

I'm not in a huge rush, and we do have the holiday shopping season/sales coming soon in the US. Is there a particularly good or bad time to buy a Kobo? Will they go on sale around the holidays? Is there new hardware coming that could reduce the price of the Aura One? Is there any other timing considerations that are worth keeping in mind?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Jack
Jack in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
That one is easy.
The best time to buy is always a week after you bought it.
Or in other words, buy when you want it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no wrong time to buy a Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I doubt they're in a rush to refresh the One since there's nothing from the Amazon side that competes with / tops it.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
I doubt they're in a rush to refresh the One since there's nothing from the Amazon side that competes with / tops it.
I would like to see a 300DPI 7" H2O3.
Advert
Old 10-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would like to see a 300DPI 7" H2O3.
The Aura One is basically just a 7.8" 300DPI H2O...unless you really think the extra .8" makes a huge difference.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
The Aura One is basically just a 7.8" 300DPI H2O...unless you really think the extra .8" makes a huge difference.
Battery life of the H2O is better.That's the problem with the KA1. They weakened the battery to make it lighter.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Whilst I do agree with you about this, I feel that Amazon may have done enough with the new 7" Kindle Oasis to stop many Kindle waverers stepping off the "Path of Righteousness" toward Kobo. This may be disappointing for Kobo's future income prospects. I'd love to be wrong about this

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed there's been no new flagship Kobo this year. I love my KA1 but I'd still like to have had the buzz of a shiny new improved device. I know the Kobo Aura2 and H2O2 are new-ish devices and there's nothing wrong with them, but I didn't see anything to get particularly excited about.

One thing I'd like to see Kobo do to improve their customisability (is that a word?) features is to tidy up and fully bring out into the light some of their "hidden" features , e.g.
  • Night mode screen colour inversion
  • Full screen book reading (no header, footer)
  • Screenshot
  • Font bolding for all fonts, not just the built-in ones
All of the above are already possible, for all recent Kobo models, via patch or simple manual editing of the .conf file, so why couldn't they become "official" with relative ease?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
For purchases in the US--I suggest buying from the Canadian company-Chapters Indigo. The prices on their website are in Canadian Dollars (of course), and with the exchange rate, it works out to less than buying direct from Kobo--even after adding the cost of shipping in. And from posts I've read here, delivery is usually fairly quick. It took a little longer for mine to get here, but it was a Christmas present, so not unexpected that time of year.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #10
genoasalami
Connoisseur
genoasalami began at the beginning.

Device: KK3G, PW, Voyage, Oasis, Aura One, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
For purchases in the US--I suggest buying from the Canadian company-Chapters Indigo. The prices on their website are in Canadian Dollars (of course), and with the exchange rate, it works out to less than buying direct from Kobo--even after adding the cost of shipping in. And from posts I've read here, delivery is usually fairly quick. It took a little longer for mine to get here, but it was a Christmas present, so not unexpected that time of year.
What about returns?
genoasalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #11
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in NC View Post
I'm not in a huge rush, and we do have the holiday shopping season/sales coming soon in the US. Is there a particularly good or bad time to buy a Kobo?

Jack
To return to the original question, Black Friday and cyber Monday may have sales or at least free shipping from Kobo. Watch the web site regularly as it is not unusual for free shipping sales to pop up around holidays.

The Chapters/Indigo exchange rate advantage sounds like a good idea, but I have not tried it.

Good Luck!
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:39 PM   #12
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I feel that Amazon may have done enough with the new 7" Kindle Oasis to stop many Kindle waverers stepping off the "Path of Righteousness" toward Kobo.
I feel like this is an accurate assessment. As a former Kindle user, though, I'm so glad I made the switch. The Kobo UI and customizability are so much better than Kindle.
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:48 AM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoasalami View Post
What about returns?
I'm not sure about returns from the U.S. to Chapters Indigo in Canada--as luckily for me, I'm very happy with the my Aura One. I seem to recall a discussion of this issue a while back, but don't remember the details. Maybe a search of prior threads might pull something up.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:28 AM   #14
GlenRunciter
Enthusiast
GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Sage
Size matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
...unless you really think the extra .8" makes a huge difference.
Just asked my wife. She says it makes a realy huge difference... *scnr
GlenRunciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:09 AM   #15
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Battery life of the H2O is better.That's the problem with the KA1. They weakened the battery to make it lighter.
Shrug.

I’ve been happy with the battery life of my KAO, gets about the same battery life as my PW3 with similar usage.Which for me is about a week. I like the weight too, it’s just about right for holding in one hand.

Kobo also reduced the weight on the H2O Edition 2(and maybe battery?) so who knows if they’d keep the same battery life again for a version 3.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote