Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #16
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Speaking of delay, I just came across this today:

https://blog.wooting.nl/what-influences-keyboard-speed/
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #17
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The difference? A real eMMC chip on the Forma vs. the insane internal SD card design on the H2O. It's sure nice on the hackability front, but, man, is it awful in terms of performance.
Even after the first load? I'd expect it to hang around in memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
For instance, mine is fairly consistent on a fresh, cold boot, and then starts to go wonky at the first sleep cycle. Although, "fairly consistent" might be stretching it, because it tends to stick the other way around after a cold boot (meaning stick to the highest clock speed even when idle).
Yeah, occasionally I notice oddly slow page turns where I can only assume it's the scheduler underperforming. But oddly slow as in it takes 100 ms instead of 20 ms (or whatever), so still a lot faster than Nickel. :P

Last edited by Frenzie; 05-26-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:06 AM   #18
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
@Frenzie @NiLuJe

please correct me if I say something wrong.

I still believe koreader running on simple linux (kobo, kindle) could be faster (like faster page turning) than android version. Because android is a over-big, over-messy architecture. Android itself is an "app" running above the linux (kernel), and we run our apk on the android (java), android is actually a VM, this casuses more delay than anything else.
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #19
Frenzie
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
I still believe koreader running on simple linux (kobo, kindle) could be faster (like faster page turning) than android version. Because android is a over-big, over-messy architecture. Android itself is an "app" running above the linux (kernel), and we run our apk on the android (java), android is actually a VM, this casuses more delay than anything else.
I don't think that's necessarily true provided you've got enough RAM, but Android doesn't really have much to do with anything. Nickel is the same principle as KOReader (or coolreader or Plato). Just a fullscreen app running on embedded Linux.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:18 AM   #20
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
@Frenzie @NiLuJe

please correct me if I say something wrong.

No, android is not an "app". It is a framework based on multiple services/daemons running.
No, the Dalvik/Art virtual machines don't cause any noticeable delay.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #21
BloodRagg
Zealot
BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ahh a new version, is there a way to debug lag of page turns ?
With me its mostly high resolution pics being rendered to my devices resolution.
But Im interested any way.
BloodRagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #22
Frenzie
Wizard

Depends a bit on what you mean by debug, but either way the emulator would be the way to go unless there's a clear indication that there's something ARM-specific going on.

For LuaJIT, cf. https://www.freelists.org/post/luaji...filer-released

For regular gdb stuff I like the Nemiver frontend, but anything goes. :P See https://github.com/koreader/koreader...with-gdbserver for doing it on-device.

I've done my profiling on crengine with cachegrind + KCachegrind for visualization. That resulted in some pretty significant performance gains (mostly thanks to @poire-z ).
Old 06-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #23
BloodRagg
Zealot
BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Depends a bit on what you mean by debug, but either way the emulator would be the way to go unless there's a clear indication that there's something ARM-specific going on.

For LuaJIT, cf. https://www.freelists.org/post/luaji...filer-released

For regular gdb stuff I like the Nemiver frontend, but anything goes. :P See https://github.com/koreader/koreader...with-gdbserver for doing it on-device.

I've done my profiling on crengine with cachegrind + KCachegrind for visualization. That resulted in some pretty significant performance gains (mostly thanks to @poire-z ).
Whattttt all I can say is
BloodRagg is offline   Reply With Quote