Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Chaihana Joe
Chaihana Joe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, Kobo Glo, Apple devices, Android devices, PC
Persisting html-to-epub workflow

I'm new to Calibre, new to authoring in fact. I want to push the book I'm writing through Calibre to convert from HTML to ePub on a frequent basis and I want to be able to have the metadata and conversion settings 'remembered' from one 'build' to the next.

It seems to me I should be looking in either one of two possible places. Either keep my book as an entry in the Calibre catalog and just 'refresh' it with the latest HTML as and when it's ready. This would allow me to keep the metadata, etc from build to build. I can see no way to achieve this.

Alternatively it may be possible to export or save my metadata and conversion settings so that each new iteration of the book can have the saved settings applied to it as each build passes through Calibre. I can see no way to achieve this, either.

I hope this makes sense.

What do you recommend?
Chaihana Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaihana Joe View Post
I'm new to Calibre, new to authoring in fact. I want to push the book I'm writing through Calibre to convert from HTML to ePub on a frequent basis and I want to be able to have the metadata and conversion settings 'remembered' from one 'build' to the next.

It seems to me I should be looking in either one of two possible places. Either keep my book as an entry in the Calibre catalog and just 'refresh' it with the latest HTML as and when it's ready. This would allow me to keep the metadata, etc from build to build. I can see no way to achieve this.

Alternatively it may be possible to export or save my metadata and conversion settings so that each new iteration of the book can have the saved settings applied to it as each build passes through Calibre. I can see no way to achieve this, either.

I hope this makes sense.

What do you recommend?
Once converted
Calibre remembers the settings that were used (even if they were the defaults at that time and later changed) What was used was remembered. So if you replace the Zip(HTML) and do NOT delete (drag the new version into the Metadata editor formats area. It will replace) the book, converting AGAIN from HTML to EPUB will use the same settings.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Chaihana Joe
Chaihana Joe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, Kobo Glo, Apple devices, Android devices, PC
Brilliant! Wasn't sure what you meant by the 'Metadata editor formats area' but guessed and it worked. Hard to see any better way of describing it though - there's no label on that box.

You've saved me a ton of copying and pasting.

Many thanks.
Chaihana Joe is offline   Reply With Quote