Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
DeanClemmons
DeanClemmons has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DeanClemmons has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DeanClemmons has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor
NookColor Linux connection issues

I recently upgraded from a Nook v1 to a NookColor, and had major issues connecting it to my Linux PC (running Linux Mint Debian edition). I fixed this, and felt it might help someone else if I shared this. The problem was that the Nook wasn't recognized properly, and it was hit-or-miss to get either the internal memory or my 32Gb microsd card to mount. The simple fix was to use my old Nook v1 cable, although I suspect any generic USB-A to micro USB cable will work. Connection with that cable is smooth and instant. Without proof, I'll just say that the special cable with the charging light built in is most likely not seen properly by Linux - or at least LMDE. I spent most of an evening tracking this down, so I hope this saves others some time and troubleshooting. I tried using the Nook Color cable on a Windows system and it connects fine, so Linux drivers are the most likely culprit.
DeanClemmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
thanks for the tip - it may definitely help someone

the whole micro-usb system is, IMHO, a mess... i have a separate cable for my Toshiba drive, Sony camera, Kodak camera, and now, the Nook Touch

ackpht!

note to manufacturers: detailed pinout specs may not help consumers, but would certainly help developers and tech folks

p.s. karma points to you!
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Because of the need for more charging power than the standard USB spec allows, the nook Color cable is not a standard USB cable. The Linux drivers might be the culprit, but they have an accomplice. Good to know a standard USB cable operates to spec, though.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
You may also have a bad cable--there are a ridiculous amount of duds out there that either don't work properly or just fall apart (the plastic around the 'n' chips and crumbles away). You might want to try it out on some other machines if you can. If you do have a junk cable, B&N has been pretty good about replacing them.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:12 AM   #5
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I'd bet a bad cable - the cable is basically just a standard micro USB cable with a couple of extra pins to provide extra charging power.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
DeanClemmons
DeanClemmons has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DeanClemmons has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DeanClemmons has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor
Update 8/15/11

Just to be sure I ordered an extra power cable from B&N and tried it on my Linux box, same issue. Lots of errors in dmesg, no connection. This cable ALSO connects fine in win7. I'd say this makes a pretty convincing case for this being a Linux-specific issue. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post the error messages. I also tried this on my web server (Ubuntu 10.04 server) and got a connection with both cables, which narrows this down to a Debian-specific issue. Unfortunately, I have a separate instance of Calibre on my server (dedicated to tech manuals) so I can't just shift everything there. But at least I kept my Nook v1 cable...
DeanClemmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanClemmons View Post
Unfortunately, I have a separate instance of Calibre on my server (dedicated to tech manuals) so I can't just shift everything there. But at least I kept my Nook v1 cable...
Set up a different user name on your server with the sole purpose of hosting a Calibre instance dedicated to books on your Nook?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I have used a Kobo Touch USB cable without experiencing any problems. I loaded a couple of hundred books using calibre recently and noticed that not only did it work but it also recharged the battery as well. I believe the Nook Color's documentation states that the Nook cannot be charged via a USB connection to a computer - so I was quite surprised.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote