Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Sans-serif font for Sony reader

I don't know whether this has been said by someone already. If that's the case, I apologise. But I just thought I'd share my recent discovery

I really dislike the standard font used on the sony readers. I dislike it so much I haven't really used my Sony the last couple of months, instead doing all my reading on my Kindle. I tried changing the font a couple of times but for some reason never succeeded.

But now I've found a really easy way to convert books into a rather pleasant sand-serif font, and it's super easy. You just type in *{font-family: sans-serif;} in the Extra CSS box when you convert a book in Calibre. I bulk-converted all my books that way.

So if you want a font that's easier to read but don't want to work too hard to get it, this is the way to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sans-serif.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	586.5 KB
ID:	73663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	73664  
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Sony readers actually use three fonts: one for serif, one for sans serif, and one for monotype. You can use any of them by the method you noted, of course the default is serif so it requires no additional CSS.

BTW, if you need bolder text you can use:

Code:
body {font-weight: bold}
But then all text will be bold rather than just headings and selected text for emphasis.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-04-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Sony readers actually use three fonts: one for serif, one for sans serif, and one for monotype. You can use any of them by the method you noted, of course the default is sans serif so it requires no additional CSS.
I don't think I've ever read a book in my Sony that defaulted to san serif. Did you mean that serif is the default?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:56 AM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I tried this - it didn't work until I realized the asterisk was part of the necessary code...

So I thought I post a reminder than it should be:

Code:
*{font-family: sans-serif;}
Make sure to include that asterisk at the front of it!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I don't think I've ever read a book in my Sony that defaulted to san serif. Did you mean that serif is the default?
Yep, my bad, the default is serif. Typically the default is to use serif for the majority of the text, sans serif for headings, and monospace only when specified.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-04-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Advert