Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Fantasy series "The Dance of Gods" goes Creative Commons

From Mayer Alan Brenner's website:

Quote:
From 1987 through 1992, DAW Books published my four-book fantasy series, The Dance of Gods. Sales were not spectacular and fell off with each successive volume, and the books went out of print. Along the way, though, they acquired a small group of fairly intense fans, not all of whom were either related to me or were close personal friends. Frankly, although DAW did their best, the books were a challenge to describe and market, since they didn't fit with the style of fantasy that was well-established at the time. Times and styles change, though, and may have now caught up to where The Dance of Gods has been resting. At least, that's my hope. This site presents an experiment that will let you, fortuitous reader, help decide whether these books really have an audience ... and if so, what happens next.
Available for you E Ink readers on Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/view_author/242
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Nice pointer! I'll give this a try.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
They converted just fine with PdfLrf so now I can read them on my Sony reader.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
On the author's website, http://www.mayerbrenner.com/ the books are offered in word .doc format, so you can easily convert to any format needed. I've never heard of the author or the books, but I support the idea and have downloaded the books and will start reading soon.

Sounds like another author that has offered something "free," which will probably convert me into a buying customer. I have discovered so many new authors this way. Great concept and I love supporting it and the authors that promote it.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
On the author's website, http://www.mayerbrenner.com/ the books are offered in word .doc format, so you can easily convert to any format needed. I've never heard of the author or the books, but I support the idea and have downloaded the books and will start reading soon.

Sounds like another author that has offered something "free," which will probably convert me into a buying customer. I have discovered so many new authors this way. Great concept and I love supporting it and the authors that promote it.
Yeah I discovered a few SF writers this way:The .doc files on the author's website are useful if you need another format. Hopefully with epub it'll be even easier once people start working on tools to convert from epub to anything else. With real ToC support, you won't even need to create the ToC yourself in the output file.
Advert
Old 09-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll convert these into native LRF and PRC and post them here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Does the creative commons license variant permit that for these, then?

(just want to be sure)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It isn't clear to me whether
Quote:
No Derivative Works. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work
implies no other e-book formats or not. However, permission of the author always trumps - so perhaps asking for permission is safest.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It isn't clear to me whether implies no other e-book formats or not. However, permission of the author always trumps - so perhaps asking for permission is safest.
No Deritave Works means that you can't use the characters of the book for another story for example.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
From Mayer Alan Brenner's website:

Quote:
From 1987 through 1992, DAW Books published my four-book fantasy series, The Dance of Gods. Sales were not spectacular and fell off with each successive volume, and the books went out of print. Along the way, though, they acquired a small group of fairly intense fans, not all of whom were either related to me or were close personal friends. Frankly, although DAW did their best, the books were a challenge to describe and market, since they didn't fit with the style of fantasy that was well-established at the time. Times and styles change, though, and may have now caught up to where The Dance of Gods has been resting. At least, that's my hope. This site presents an experiment that will let you, fortuitous reader, help decide whether these books really have an audience ... and if so, what happens next.
Available for you E Ink readers on Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/view_author/242
See the Sony LRF version at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=95224

MobiPocket version to come later tonight.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:07 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Book #1 is now in MobiPocket format at ...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=95258
Old 09-08-2007, 09:49 AM   #12
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
From Doctorow's column in Locus magazine:
Quote:
Many of us have assumed, a priori, that electronic books substitute for print books. While I don't have controlled, quantitative data to refute the proposition, I do have plenty of experience with this stuff, and all that experience leads me to believe that giving away my books is selling the hell out of them.

More importantly, the free e-book skeptics have no evidence to offer in support of their position — just hand-waving and dark muttering about a mythological future when book-lovers give up their printed books for electronic book-readers (as opposed to the much more plausible future where book lovers go on buying their fetish objects and carry books around on their electronic devices).
http://www.locusmag.com/Features/200...c-e-books.html
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Heh. "Fetish objects." That's a luxury I can't afford with my current space constraints.

I do miss the cover art, though....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, I did include the covert art with my conversions of Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Heh. "Fetish objects." That's a luxury I can't afford with my current space constraints.
Doesn't that depend on what sort of "fetish objects" you want? Some can be quite small and quite effective.