Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #31
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbearjt08 View Post
Thank you everyone. For now, I am going to keep it. I have not found too many issues with reading on it. I am working on the whole CM7 to an SD card tonight.

Besides, DH says if I return it, he will not happy.
One caution... the NookColor only has a 15 day return window.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #32
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
NC return period at Best Buy

Luckily, I called Best Buy and they told me 30 days. That is one thing I checked on for sure yesterday.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #33
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbearjt08 View Post
Luckily, I called Best Buy and they told me 30 days. That is one thing I checked on for sure yesterday.

Ah, B&N told me 15 when I bought mine, so you got a better deal on that at least.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #34
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
i have sony 350 and coby tablet. why? the coby is too heavy for reading but perfect for web access! sounds like you would prefer to read so, you know what to do! or, keep it for quick access to the web!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 AM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Ah, B&N told me 15 when I bought mine, so you got a better deal on that at least.
I bought mine at Best Buy because of the return window. B&N's loss.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #36
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Personally I love my NC, and I have an ipad and a Kindle SO. The only problem with the NC running CM7 is that it does so much that I dont read on it so I need a dedicated ereader to get the pages turning
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Personally I love my NC, and I have an ipad and a Kindle SO. The only problem with the NC running CM7 is that it does so much that I dont read on it so I need a dedicated ereader to get the pages turning
I don't read on my NC either. I use it for fun. Today, I've been playing with Amazon's Free App of the Day - Random Mahjong Pro - and it's great. I also love playing Angry Birds Rio on it too.

For reading, I have my KSO.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #38
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
My priority was to consolidate books, music, comics, and video in one portable device. Most of my reading takes place in dim/dark settings, so LCD is preferable (my former reader was a netbook), and this screen is outstanding for both crisp text in novels and vibrant color in comics. My complexion doesn't permit much sunbathing anyway, and 60-75% brightness has been adequate for any outdoor setting where I'd actually want to park myself long enough to read.

If your reading is limited to plain text and you're not looking for a device to fill the gap between PC and smartphone, though, e-ink may be better suited to your needs.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #39
VydorScope
Wizard

You know I have not actually tried my NookColor out side in full sun. I should do that tomorrow and see how it does.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #40
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
You know I have not actually tried my NookColor out side in full sun. I should do that tomorrow and see how it does.
I've done quite a bit of porch reading and a little park reading on sunny days, but even not-so-direct sunlight can cause a lot of reflection. An anti-glare screen protector is definitely on my to-get list. Somehow it got shunted below a wiimote + Classic Controller Pro to pair over bluetooth for my emulators

And then of course there's an adapter to enable USB hosting...

And a foldable bluetooth keyboard...

And an Android phone to tether...

taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #41
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Direct sunlight is hard, but if you are in the shade or at good angle, turning up brightness all the way works pretty good. I am enjoying being able to read at night too.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:16 AM   #42
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I've done quite a bit of porch reading and a little park reading on sunny days, but even not-so-direct sunlight can cause a lot of reflection. An anti-glare screen protector is definitely on my to-get list. Somehow it got shunted below a wiimote + Classic Controller Pro to pair over bluetooth for my emulators

And then of course there's an adapter to enable USB hosting...

And a foldable bluetooth keyboard...

And an Android phone to tether...

Even with the anti-glare screen protector, it is difficult to read in bright daylight
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #43
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:

Well this will have to wait, we are having a thunderstorm
Old 12-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #44
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
If you buy a Nook Color for a "cheap iPad", you will be disappointed. Nothing is an iPad except an iPad. However, if you buy a Nook Color for an eBook reader, you will be very happy. I own both and, frankly, I prefer reading ePubs on my NC simply because it is smaller and lighter (but not -too- small like the 6" Sony I sold to partially fund the NC purchase). The NC screen is exquisite. BTW, I own the original NC, not the new one. I played with the new one at B&N this morning and, while it is faster than the old one, web-surfing still sucks; it's still slow, scrolling stutters, and website text is too small to be readable. I have my iPad for that. In addition, I couldn't find any decent free apps on the Nook store (through the NC) whereas Apple has thousands of good free apps on their AppStore.

Bottom line: The NC is a great eReader but, as an Internet-enabled tablet, it's just another sucky Android iPad-wannabe.
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #45
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
I'm quite fond of my NC now that it's running phiremod. I tried the stock OS for about 5 minutes before deciding it was too limited. After rooting, it's a great device. I use it for web browsing, games, and other tablet related tasks. Surprisingly, I found that the lcd doesn't bother my eyes in the least, so it's often used as an e-reader as well. When I need the extended battery life I bring out the nook STR. But for reading around home, or for short flights, the NC is great.
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote