Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
lo-fi
Exec. cul-de-sac manager
lo-fi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3rd Gen & iPad Mini 1st Gen (GoodReader/Marvin)
Cool Alternative to GoodReader? (PDF on iOS)

GoodReader is a magnificent app, but I'm always searching for a better suited alternative.

My biggest issue with Goodreader is highlighting. To switch to a different color while highlighting you either have to change pages, or select the highlighting tool again.

In other words, if I want the first sentence to be yellow, but the second sentence to be green. I have to mark the first sentence then flip a page (and then immediately flip back) or manually select the highlight tool again BEFORE switching to green and highlighting the second sentence. Otherwise, everything on the page (that was marked yellow) will switch to green.

Same goes for a double highlight - when you want to go over a passage with the same color twice (done for emphasis). You have to change pages or manually select the highlighting tool again in order to do so.

I'm fully aware that these issues are not a problem for most people. However, I need to be as efficient as possible when reading/highlighting. A better suited app could make a huge difference for me

What I am dying to find is an app that lets me change colors and double highlight on the fly. Just tap a different color and keep going.

It needs to also retain most of these features from GoodReader:
  • [Essential]: Sync files with dropbox or other service that allows me to use the PDFs on the computer as well
  • [Essential]: Related to the above, app needs to access and maintain the same file structure as the folders on the computer when syncing
  • Freehand/pen tool with size & translucency adjustment
  • Insert text box tool
  • Crop viewing area - adjust viewing area of the file on the reader without actually cropping the file itself.

Naturally, all apps that require you to first select text BEFORE proceeding to highlighting selection options are also not a good fit. This is just way too slow. The highlighting needs to happen as soon as I touch the screen.

I know this is a very specific request. But maybe someone here will have a suggestion. I can't be the only one who needs color-coded highlighting to be efficient. Or maybe I am

You guys are my last hope!

THANKS!
lo-fi

Last edited by lo-fi; 02-23-2017 at 11:59 AM.
lo-fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
EZ PDF Reader can allow you to change the color as many times as you want without changing pages. Actually highlighting takes two taps but is pretty fast. You select the text and a menu appears with 3 options. tap highlight.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 02-23-2017 at 12:58 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
lo-fi
Exec. cul-de-sac manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
EZ PDF Reader [...] You select the text and a menu appears with 3 options. tap highlight.
Thanks Dale. Unfortunately this will not do. I need something that highlights on contact, like GoodReader, but offers more quick options.

The [select text -> menu -> tap to highlight] setup that most reader apps use is simply too inefficient for my purposes.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo-fi View Post
GoodReader is a magnificent app, but I'm always searching for a better suited alternative.

My biggest issue with Goodreader is highlighting. To switch to a different color while highlighting you either have to change pages, or select the highlighting tool again.

Have you ever sent your request to GoodReader's technical support? If yes, how did they reply? They are making a lot of money every time they make a new edition. Just curious about their level of support.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I found another one. PDF Provider. It remembers the highlight command after the first time and from then on a single tap will highlight. It also allows changing the color within a page.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Try REaddle's "Documents". It does most of what you want. The highlighting is very quick
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #7
lo-fi
Exec. cul-de-sac manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Try REaddle's "Documents"
Thanks for the recommendation kyteflyer! I gave this app a shot today.
So far:

THE GOOD
[+] Color change faster than GoodReader
[+] Sync works fine

THE NOT SO GOOD
[X] No "undo" button (cumbersome when you highlight the wrong stuff)
[X] No buttons for next/previous page (annoying to drag while highlighter is on)
[X] No pen (Freehand Tool) > need to check out PDF Expert
[X] Something's not quite right with the (viewing area) adjustment

Overall, a solid recommendation. But still looking for that killer app. Need to check out PDF Expert from the same company too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe
I found another one. PDF Provider.
Thanks for another suggestion
For now the In-App Purchases on top of the initial investment of $8 are keeping me away from this one. But I will have to give it a shot if nothing else works out quite right.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please pass them along
Old 03-04-2017, 03:37 AM   #8
MobileFinder
MobileFinder began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Foxit Reader is better then PDF

There are many, but I recommend you to use” Foxit Reader”. You can easily find it. The best part its free to use. The core functions include, multi tabs, stable, and very clean design.
MobileFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:44 AM   #9
lo-fi
Exec. cul-de-sac manager

Thanks MobileFinder but is Foxit for iOS? I couldn't find it
Old 03-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation kyteflyer! I gave this app a shot today.
So far:

THE GOOD
[+] Color change faster than GoodReader
[+] Sync works fine

THE NOT SO GOOD
[X] No "undo" button (cumbersome when you highlight the wrong stuff)
[X] No buttons for next/previous page (annoying to drag while highlighter is on)
[X] No pen (Freehand Tool) > need to check out PDF Expert
[X] Something's not quite right with the (viewing area) adjustment

Overall, a solid recommendation. But still looking for that killer app. Need to check out PDF Expert from the same company to

<snip>

If anyone else has any suggestions, please pass them along
PDF Expert could be a bingo. (I forgot I had that also)

Undo is found by tapping on the highlight a second time. Its called Clear. You can also attach a note, change its colour from the popup, and copy whatever you highlighted.

There is a pen for freehand, when you tap on that you get a second toolbar with many different options for the pen.

Still no button for next or previous but you can use a scrollbar to move between pages whilst highlight is active.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:40 AM   #11
Janet16
Enthusiast
Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Thanks MobileFinder but is Foxit for iOS? I couldn't find it
Yes, Foxit has PDF Reader for iOS, get it from app store or its official page.
It's very great!
Janet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
mattcurtis
Book Lover, Dev of Hyphen
mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone (Hyphen)
Another good alternative is PDF Viewer.
mattcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:17 AM   #13
nancyrobert2011
nancyrobert2011 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Foxit Reader is a free and light-weight multi-platform PDF document viewer. Its core function is compatible with PDF Standard 1.7. Whether you're a consumer

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is a powerful software for viewing, printing, and annotating PDFs. It’s connected to Adobe Document Cloud — so it’s easier than ever to work.
nancyrobert2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodreader, ios, ipad, ipad apps, ipad ios