Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #31
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Just trying Hoopla for ebook on Android. How do you get from the open ebook to the hoopla screen or configuration screen? Should be obvious, but I've tapped every place on the open book screen and nothing happens. Finally found swipe up to get my android back/home buttons and I found how to change text size, but nothing to get back to the hoopla home screen.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:17 AM   #32
DaySleeper
Enthusiast
DaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toys

Device: MoonReader+ Android app on Samsung Galaxy S6 Lite and otherst
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Just trying Hoopla for ebook on Android. How do you get from the open ebook to the hoopla screen or configuration screen? Should be obvious, but I've tapped every place on the open book screen and nothing happens. Finally found swipe up to get my android back/home buttons and I found how to change text size, but nothing to get back to the hoopla home screen.
I'm pretty sure that I just used the Android back button to get to the main screen. My problem has been that my font-sizes don't always "stick," and I get a huge font and the page is larger than the screen. I finally found by trial & error that if I move to a different chapter, the font snaps back to what it should be, and I can then go to where I left off reading. Getting to the font adjustments screen has been trickier: sometimes you tap and it moves a page ahead or back (which is pretty consistent: tap on the right edge to go forward, left edge to go back);you need to tap in somewhat random places to switch it between the mode that shows the page number and the mode that allows for font adjustments.
DaySleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:52 AM   #33
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaySleeper View Post
I'm pretty sure that I just used the Android back button to get to the main screen. .
Thanks, but my back button only gets me to the picture of the book and a read button. No settings, nothing else. Guess I won't be using this app in the future.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:36 AM   #34
DaySleeper
Enthusiast
DaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toys

Device: MoonReader+ Android app on Samsung Galaxy S6 Lite and otherst
I may have misunderstood your question. The back button does take you to the picture of the book & the read button. If, while reading a book, you want to change the font settings, you tap various places on the screen ( it doesn't seem all that consistent) until the bottom bar changes from a page-number and percent-read display to one with a few other symbols on it. Those will get you to font settings. It might give you more general settings or you might need to hit back-button to the book-image, then again to the app main screen. I don't have a book currently checked out, so I can't easily check and am going by memory. I certainly agree that as an ereader app it leaves a lot to be desired.
DaySleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:27 AM   #35
pixelwizard
pixelwizard knows what's going on.pixelwizard knows what's going on.pixelwizard knows what's going on.pixelwizard knows what's going on.pixelwizard knows what's going on.pixelwizard knows what's going on.pixelwizard knows what's going on.pixelwizard knows what's going on.pixelwizard knows what's going on.pixelwizard knows what's going on.pixelwizard knows what's going on.

Device: Fusion5 (10.6in.) running Android 5.1
Cool I've had Hoopla for about 5 years, on maybe 4 devices...

...and never liked it. I don't think a single playback - audiobook or film, downloaded or not - ever was satisfactory. Hiccups, pauses, various mess-ups... that's all I've ever gotten. What video moments I do see also never rise above bad on the clarity scale. So finding this thread today has been reassuring. It's not just me.

Well, erm, now there is a better service connected to public libraries nationwide, Kanopy. It's video only, via a website or through a standalone free app.

Each member library authorizes a certain number of films a month. You can put more than one library card into your one account. Playback via the app has been pretty smooth; via the kanopy.com website, not so much. My wifi is on the low end, so better internet access ought to make the website option work OK. (Guessing.) But again, using the Kanopy app and the same wifi, playback is quite good.

Beware some limitations (in my experience):
- After hitting the player's pause button you can return to your movie later as you'd expect, not so if you log out of either the app or your device. You'd use up the one "play" for that month.
- The player is minimal. No frills, there's only a pause button, a time indicator, and a 30-second backup.
- There is a Wishlist, but nothing else in the way of notetaking about the available films. A film will remain on your list after you finish seeing it. (I have not figured out a way to help me avoid repeat plays - which consumes my allotments accidentally.)

FYI one of my libraries funds 7 Kanopy films/month, the other 8. So I get 15... not bad for zero dollars. I have no personal or business connection to the Kanopy enterprise.

Last edited by pixelwizard; 10-27-2018 at 02:15 AM. Reason: corrected a small detail
pixelwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #36
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelwizard View Post
Well, erm, now there is a better service connected to public libraries nationwide, Kanopy. It's video only, via a website or through a standalone free app.
How funny, I just now noticed Kanopy as a new source at one of my libraries. Thanks for the info.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #37
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reviving an old thread, as I've just joined a library that once again gives me access to Hoopla. I see that Hoopla now has an option to download to an SD card; however, when I changed the settings to do that, the audiobook wouldn't download--I got a message that says, Sorry, try again later. I tried a different SD card, thinking that might be the problem, but the result was the same. So I changed the settings again to download to the device, and that worked.

Anyone able to download Hoopla audiobooks to a card?
Old 05-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #38
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I started using Hoopla this year and haven't run into any issues yet. I download on android phones. My Kindle Fire with borrowed E-Books using an SD card, though, and it never gave me errors downloading to that.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:31 PM   #39
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I started using Hoopla this year and haven't run into any issues yet. I download on android phones. My Kindle Fire with borrowed E-Books using an SD card, though, and it never gave me errors downloading to that.
Android phone is what I was using. The app recognizes that a card is there, gives me the option to download to the card, but then won't do it. Annoying because of my extremely limited internal storage.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:43 PM   #40
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I found out that Free Library of Philadelphia stopped offering Hoopla. After some searching I joined the Allegheny County library system (Pittsburgh). I do need to road trip out to Monroeville within 30 days to get a physical card, but I am able to use it now. Imagine my surprise when I discovered now I can check out 15 per month instead of 4!!!

The only bad thing is if I increase the speed over 1x, it stutters and makes little electronic sounds. Android phone, downloaded.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, hoopla