Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
How bad are (2016) infrared touchscreens on e-readers?

I wrote the question into Google, haven't really find anything relevant, so I had to be the first to ask it this way.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
My H2O has an infrared touch screen. Although the driver crashes on rare occasions, the touchscreen overall I find quite good. Very responsive. And, I can use it wearing normal gloves! :-D
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Don't know about "2016 IR touchscreens", but the screens on my Aura HD (2013) and Kindle Touch (2011) work great and always have. AFAIK there have been no real changes to the IR Touch tech since it was introduced.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-14-2016 at 12:41 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Okay. Here let me drop into the conversation that I'm a heavey user of the dictionary and highlight feature. With this in mind, will an IR device as good for me as a capacitive one? If IR is so good, then why do manufacturers distinguish between models that they add strictly IR only to their cheapest models, and capacitive touch to anything a little more fancy?

On a side note, maybe I should get a Kindle 5th while I can. It still has buttons, and the one clearly benefit it has over my aging Kindle 4 is the brighter screen. Do you know some secret store where I can still get it cheap? Some places I have found sell a new one for much higher prices than it was sold for in its heydays. Smart. In the US or Europe. Am I a caveman for still wanting a device with buttons? (For reasons and details, see the linked thread).
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've used IR on a Sony Reader PRS-650, Sony Reader PRS-T1, nook STR, Kindle Touch, and Kobo Aura H2O. No problem at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have Paperwhites and a Voyage all with capacitive touch screens. Also some Kobo Auras. I used to have a Kobo Glo with infra-red. My neighbor has a Kobo HD with infra-red and another neighbor has a Nook Simple Touch with infra-red.

I've used all of these at least a little bit in the past 2 weeks and some of them a lot. I use mine regularly and my neighbors when I show them how to do things on them.

I've never actually tried to tell the difference going from infra-red to capacitive but I've never noticed any difference. All of them seem to work as well as the others.

I'm sure there is something each will do better than the other but it's not something I've run into. To me it's a non-issue.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:42 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you are highlighting a whole lot, some people find the Kindles are better for this. My first Kobo (original Touch) "trained" me how to use an IR screen, and I have no issues with it for my everyday uses - selecting a book, turning pages, keyboarding in a quick search term, adjusting fonts. However it is a different technique from jabbing/swiping quickly on a cellphone, and I think that's where some people can decide, in their first five minutes, that 'IR sucks'.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:12 AM   #8
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I prefer IR. I can use it much easily outside, it is around -20C here sometimes. Turkey is not all beaches and such =)
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #9
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
IR screens are fine until insects land on them and turn the page for you. Perhaps the insects could be trained to turn pages on command?
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Capacitive display can be flush with the bezel.
With IR display you have to have rised bezel, so the display is "sunk" in. The bezel can cast a shadow when the display is lit by a light source positioned at a shallow angle.

My experience with IR touch display is positive. It is surprisingly precise.

IR touch display can be handled in any gloves.

Capacitive touch display can be operated through a thin layer of plastic, so you can put your reader to a ziploc bag when you go to the beach.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:22 AM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I've had several devices with IR touch screens (Sony PRS-350, PRS-650, Kobo Aura HD) and haven't had any problems using them. I do use the dictionary quite a bit with each of them, but don't use the highlighting feature.
I also have a couple capacitive screen devices (Kindle PW2 and Voyage), and for my use I really don't notice a difference--except when reading outside and as induna mentioned the occasional bug lands on the IR screen and turns the page for me.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:57 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Having used both, I've generally found capacitive touchscreens to be more accurate. Also, my preference is for a flush screen and you can't have a flush IR screen for obvious reasons.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote