Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #46
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I have two kindle PWs. I like the appearance of the screen more than with the grey screens of the kindle 3. But I am always managing to do unwanted page changes and unwanted font-size changes. I would prefer buttons.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #47
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I am an advocate of buttons with regard to something like synthesizers and stage piano's. They should allow very quick switches of sound and setup by as few key presses as possible. A (Hammond) organ should have access to physical drawbars and registrations. To do otherwise makes the instrument cumbersome to use. (Except for Hauptwerk, where two touch screens displaying all the stops at once are actually sufficient.)

On mobile devices, I don't need any buttons. The touch screen is more than sufficient for me. I actually dislike buttons, as they often make the device bulkier than need be.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2016, 04:00 AM   #48
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have a look at the attachment.
You're mean, I can't see the author of those books!

But back to the question at hand:

I like both options. I can live with one, but none would be a problem...

A buttonless device, I must hold with my right hand. Otherwise I can't flip the page. A device with buttons should have these on the left side of the device (or both) to help with this. If it's only on the right side, for me, they might as well not be there. Except when I'm reading in something called winter (though, the indications are that we won't get that anymore...) when you don't want to take your hands out of your gloves... IR would work then too, but I'd still prefer buttons in those cases.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:16 AM   #49
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You're mean, I can't see the author of those books!
Fear my ninja Google skills... Oh My!

Erin Hunter

You're welcome

Spoiler:
Those are kid's books about some sort of epic cats (warriors) and dogs (survivors). Why do I have a feeling I want to read some of that? Don't tell anyone...

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-13-2016 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:55 AM   #50
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Fear my ninja Google skills... Oh My!

Erin Hunter

You're welcome

Spoiler:
Those are kid's books about some sort of epic cats (warriors) and dogs (survivors). Why do I have a feeling I want to read some of that? Don't tell anyone...
I know I could google them, it's just that the picture should have been larger so I didn't have to google them! (I'm lazy, I admit!)

Spoiler:
Don't tell anybody, but I have the same feeling!
Advert
Old 09-13-2016, 06:18 AM   #51
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Spoiler:
Don't tell anybody, but I have the same feeling!
Spoiler:
You're allowed to, as you're a woman (AFAIK), but I'm not
Old 09-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #52
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Buttons make the reader easier to use with one hand. I can turn the page with just a press of my thumb.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #53
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Buttons break, introduce stress points to the device, and mar what could be a smooth surface.

Really loving that Kobo has removed them and not looked back.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So if the page forward button breaks or wears out, what would you do then?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #55
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Turn it upside down and use the back button.

FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #56
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So if the page forward button breaks or wears out, what would you do then?
I bought my kindle keyboard in 2009 and none of the buttons failed, even the one that cracked. I can't guess how many times I pressed the page forward buttons, but I'm sure it was a lot more than any other button on the device.

That said, I rarely need to use the buttons on my Voyage and I chose this because of the buttons! It doesn't get all finger-printy like the the paperwhites that family members have. Different surface? Different user? I don't know. BUT, I can read with the reader in my left hand and press both page forward and page back on the screen with one hand. In my right hand, page forward. I only use the buttons now when the thing gets confused (usually non-fiction, medical type books).

Last edited by Tarana; 09-13-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:16 PM   #57
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I haven't killed a button yet on any of my kindles. And I read a lot. My K1 from 2008 still has all functioning buttons. My K3 also and my basic. My old VCR from 1992 still has all buttons working.

I can't really think of any buttons on any device I ever killed. Maybe I need ginseng.

And even if I did wear one out, I'd just buy another reader with buttons. Because I need them. Simple as that.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:00 AM   #58
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
none of my computer buttons ever failed, or my VCR, CD player, phone, kindle or any other device. I expect the battery to go long before the page button does. Buttons wear out? Nonsense.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:06 AM   #59
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
When you sell ereaders you learn so much more about how they break.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:10 AM   #60
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
none of my computer buttons ever failed, or my VCR, CD player, phone, kindle or any other device. I expect the battery to go long before the page button does. Buttons wear out? Nonsense.
Hmm, the power button on my pc is broken (hold together with tape), I've th buy a new keyboard every year or so, remote controls need to be cleaned out every so often as well, I've had several mice where the buttons didn't respond anymore.

But I've never had a reader (or phone or tablet) where the buttons were broken!