Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 05:40 AM   #1
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
10% off for previous PB-owners when buying from pocketbook.de

Just saw this in the German forums:

If you order another PB device from www.pocketbook.de before Oct 31 and show them proof of purchase of a previously bought one (any PB model, as I understand) you get 10% off.

This is probably not that interesting for you from the US, but other Europeans might perhaps want to take advantage of the promo. You'll need to order via mail, though (info@pocketbook.de).
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
thanks - but if I understood corerctly this only applies to those who bought directly from Pocketbook.de: this irked Kacir and not only him, and really I feel on this international forum the presence of pocketbook is in all but name
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:19 AM   #3
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
It does not matter where you purchased your first device pocketbook, but your second instrument with 10% discount can be ordered only at Pocketbook.de. Currently, only by mail and on info@pocketbook.de advance.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkosigan View Post
It does not matter where you purchased your first device pocketbook, but your second instrument with 10% discount can be ordered only at Pocketbook.de. Currently, only by mail and on info@pocketbook.de advance.
ah, now we are talking
Old 10-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
thanks - but if I understood corerctly this only applies to those who bought directly from Pocketbook.de: this irked Kacir and not only him, ...
I was ... aehm ... irked by something else.
I was irked by the fact that the "10% of" was ONLY announced on German speaking forum.

Some time ago I was complaining constantly about important stuff being announced only on German forum. Then Mtraveleth came and informed us about important stuff. Then he got promoted or whatever, and doesn't visit very often. So we are without any contact with PocketBook here on English speaking forum.

I know, we are without any official contact from Amazon and Sony and other manufacturers, but what USED to set the PocketBook apart was close cooperation of PB with the community. This is how the excellent PB360 came to life. With close cooperation with users.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I was ... aehm ... irked by something else.
I was irked by the fact that the "10% of" was ONLY announced on German speaking forum.

Some time ago I was complaining constantly about important stuff being announced only on German forum. Then Mtraveleth came and informed us about important stuff. Then he got promoted or whatever, and doesn't visit very often. So we are without any contact with PocketBook here on English speaking forum.

I know, we are without any official contact from Amazon and Sony and other manufacturers, but what USED to set the PocketBook apart was close cooperation of PB with the community. This is how the excellent PB360 came to life. With close cooperation with users.
I guess we English-only speakers are supposed to paste each post in the German forum into Google translate--and then subscribe to the ones that interest us so we can paste any new responses into Google translate?

Or maybe it would be easier to take German classes so we can read the posts ourselves.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
I guess we English-only speakers are supposed to paste each post in the German forum into Google translate--and then subscribe to the ones that interest us so we can paste any new responses into Google translate?
I do it that way.
You can paste URL to the translate Google and it will translate all posts. I open site in Google Chrome and use automatic translation functionality. It is still awkward, especially when you want to follow everyday idle chatter.

There aren't *that* many important announcements. Perhaps one per month. So it wouldn't be that much trouble for PocketBook.de to post short notice, such as "There is special 10% discount for previous PB owners, if purchased directly from PocketBook.de. For details see thread ...."
Old 10-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
Tulapi
Connoisseur
Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook pro 602, Nook Simple Touch, Inkbook Classic 2, T63 JDRead
I do it that way too with the russian forum. But it is very difficult to understand what's going on.

I read that there was an interesting conference between Pocketbook employees and some (computer-skilled) readers of the russian forum. (Some photos here) It seems to imply some revival of the "Pocketbook Free" project, but I'm not sure.

Please, give us some news !!
Tulapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I sent an email to info@pocketbook.de and asked about the 360plus model. I'm now on a list because it won't be available until mid November but I will still get the 10% discount.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The problem is that anyone with real news (i.e. with connections back to management at PB) immediately becomes a lightning rod for all the pent-up frustrations and anger some of the members here have. It doesn't take long to figure out that it's better to just keep your mouth shut around here. I'm not saying that the frustration and anger isn't valid, just that "shooting the messenger" usually results in no more messages.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
The problem is that anyone with real news (i.e. with connections back to management at PB) immediately becomes a lightning rod for all the pent-up frustrations and anger some of the members here have. It doesn't take long to figure out that it's better to just keep your mouth shut around here. I'm not saying that the frustration and anger isn't valid, just that "shooting the messenger" usually results in no more messages.
You are right.
This is also the reason why manufacturers such as Sony or Kindle usually do not take part in such discussions.

But PocketBook DOES take part in such discussions. On Russian forum at the-ebook.org and also here on German forum. Do you think that German speaking mobilereaders are less frustrated? Or perhaps less vocal about their frustrations?

I think that the main problem here are *promises* that were made. This accounts for the vast majority of complaints. The devices themselves are really well designed and are manufactured with reasonable quality. The software is fantastic. So those are not problem.
Most companies stick to a few very simple rules. "Never promise anything that you do not already have in your warehouse, ready to be delivered in sufficient quantity. Never promise features that are not already implemented and reliably tested by large group of betatesters"

Just recently, about two weeks ago, we were promised that the new PB360+ would be available in about two weeks. And what did we just learn in one of previous posts in this thread?
Quote:
... and asked about the 360plus model. I'm now on a list because it won't be available until mid November but I will still get the 10% discount.
Sigh ...

EDIT:
Users do not complain only about promises that were not kept.
There are quite a few bitter comments regarding big price difference between USA and EU. The situation is aggravated by the fact that USA distributors are forbidden to sell to EU.

Last edited by kacir; 10-26-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
agreed - but this can be policed quite simply by using the "ban" button as soon as legitimate criticism turns into personal offence (which at some point were being liberally thrown at PB representatives on this forum, and should have been stopped way before the first and only ban I am aware of in the PB forum was handed out).

True, without anyone to vent their frustration against, we won't get that kind of vetriolic messages/threads anymore, but there are also a lot of users with genuine problems that might have been resolved who suffer as a consequence, not to mention that we would all benefit from a bit more direct interaction (and so would PB's image). After all, as Kacir wrote, the fact that we are stil hanging around testifies that we are pretty happy (ok to various degrees) with our devices, and that a good dose of excitement creates a lot of good-will - last year, when the Pro came out, many people started developing hacks and tricks that improved the functionality of the device, I think all (PB included) benefited from that.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Just an update: I got am email on Monday regarding the 360plus. I'm now waiting for the invoice. I'm not sure if they have them in stock yet or not because it feels like I'm getting the result of Google translate:
Them:We are now the new equipment before 360plus. Do you want to order now?
Me:Yes I would like to make the order. Where can I do that? I don't see the model on the website.
Them:The shop is still not open. I am sending you a description of prior times.

The attachments were the data sheet for 360Plus in German with pictures from 360, and an order confirmation for 360 plus dark blue. I don't know the sending costs yet or when I will get it.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote