Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
blackrat779
blackrat779 began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook
Its all gone wrong! Please help

Hi,
My first post and my first major problem.
I have had my Cybook for at least two years without any problems. As I am off on my holidays soon I bought 3 new books and plugged in my Gen 3 Cybook, my computer Vista 64 said it didnt recognise the device, its never done that before. I hadn't upgraded the firmware for well over a year so I thought I had better do that and installed the latest firmware. My Gen 3 rebooted and got as far as the three dots and the little book, the stage before it goes to the library and hung.
I have tried re-setting it but it boots as far as the three dot screen and hangs again. The only way to break this cycle is to plug it in to recharge (it was already on 100% before the upgrade) Now the orange power light is on.

What on earth is going on? Will I have to take paperbacks on holiday after all?
Any help would be brilliant, thanks
Stu
blackrat779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello Stu, and welcome to MobileRead.

Hopefully, one of the cybook people will be able to help you.

In the meantime, have you looked at the free books we have here for you to download?

Good luck.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Hi Stu,

Check out the Cybook Troubleshooting section at the wiki.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Have you tried installing the update again?
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:22 AM   #5
blackrat779
blackrat779 began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook
Well I seemed to have fixed things, so panic over! What did I do?

Well even though it said it was at 100% charged I charged it overnight, my comp still didn't recognise it but it would charge.

This morning I took the SD card out and rebooted it while connected to the comp, still no go. I went to device manager/serial bus controllers on Vista 64 and uninstalled "unknown device" and then plugged/unplugged Gen 3 followed by search for drivers on internet. Restarted Gen 3 and after a lot of screen flashing from my book, my comp recognised it. Whoohoo.

Now here's the strange bit.....Once it was all back to normal I added my new books, unplugged and went off to read. First I put the SD card back in (it stops the dust getting in) and booted Gen 3 only to have it hang at the 3 dot screen again!!!!! What the heck! I took out the SD card, rebooted and all is well again.

What does this mean? The SD card has been in there since new. I had a look in the card and it seems to have a copy of all my books and a number of other files, my guess is that it is a copy of the Cybook directory.

I like the idea of extra storage and keeping the dust out, is there a way to fix this? Why is it not working now? If it just duplicates the Cybook directory is there any point in having it. Just one further clue, I just did the latest firmware upgrade using this card and it worked fine.

BTW thanks for the pointer towards the library, I found some books from my childhood.....Tom Swift by Appleton. I used to be sooo excited to get them from the library, I even bought one much later in life (I think they are difficult to find in the UK now). Thanks for any help you can give.
blackrat779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 06:45 AM   #6
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
I seem to remember having a problem with that myself...I can't remember all the details but if too many books were on the SD card, or if I try to load ebooks directly to the SD card, it has problems. If, on the other hand, Mobireader puts the ebooks on the card it's OK(Don't ask me....I have no idea why. I stopped trying to figure it out and just run with it). I don't know where I got this from--I haven't been able to find it again-- but someone suggested starting the Cybook without the card in it, then installing the card. After doing this a few times, I tried turning the Cybook on with the card and haven't had a problem since. Hope that helps...
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
You might have a corrupt file on the card or a corrupt book. I would backup all the books on the card to my computer and reformat the card and copy some books back and test if it works. And then copy all books back.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... and make sure that you NEVER disconnect the Gen3 from your PC without using the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool first.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
So glad to hear you got it worked out. Thanks for letting us know what works. Hopefully reformating the SD card and copying your books back to it will get the SD card working again.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:16 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
So glad to hear you got it worked out. Thanks for letting us know what works. Hopefully reformating the SD card and copying your books back to it will get the SD card working again.
For what it is worth I had to buy a new SD Card and start over.

I'm sure other members have reported that the SD cards supplied by Booken may not work reliably.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:58 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
For what it is worth I had to buy a new SD Card and start over.

I'm sure other members have reported that the SD cards supplied by Booken may not work reliably.

Regards, Alex
I'm not so sure that the issue is with the actual card, as much as with the "preformatting". I always manually reformat a new SD card, because I've found that the "factory format" is often unreliable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:43 AM   #12
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
I also had a problem with ebooks that have diacritic in the file name. And then what tompe said - my cybook hanged on some corrupt pdfs in the library, after I removed them it booted fine. Try to figure out which ebooks you added last and delete them from the sd card.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote