Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-28-2004, 08:02 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Beware IE Users - Jpeg Virus in the Wild

If you happen to still use Internet Explorer, you better read this information at Easynews and seriously consider switching over to Firebird.

Once this virus has overflowed GDI+, phoned home, connected to an ftp site and downloaded almost 2megs of stuff, it installs another trojan as a service on your Windows machine. Real evil.

The isolated virus file is also available there for download, so you can test if your latest virus killer can detect this one.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:05 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I forgot to mention another part also written in the Easynews article:

The virus also installs radmin (radmin.com) running as 'r_server'. From the radmin.com site, "With Radmin you can work on a remote computer exactly as if you were right there at its keyboard."

My Kaspersky AV detected the virus after a signature update and identified it as Exploit.Win32.MS04-028.gen.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Don't use IE...I'm on Mozilla so hopefully I have nothing to worry about. Also at home I'm using a Mac so don't think anything will happen.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:28 PM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Nasty.... Glad I switched to Firefox too!

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 02:47 AM   #5
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
On my Mac I've viewed images that exploit the buffer overflow (which is where the virus stems from), and nothing happened at all (not that I expected it to). It's a Microsoft product only hole.

Don't have to worry about it with any form of Unix (MacOS X, Linux, *BSD, etc.), or with Firefox/Mozilla/etc. on Windows.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert