Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
The MC
The MC began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is Amazon Prime worth it?

Anybody here an Amazon Prime member? How exactly does it work? Are you allowed to rent as many books as you want? Is any book available for rent or only certain books?

Also, why is there a 'free two-day shipping' when it's just Kindle books? What is it being shipped that requires two days?

How has the experience been for you?

Last edited by The MC; 08-30-2012 at 09:52 PM.
The MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I don't believe that it is for all books, and you can only get 1 per month.

This page should answer your questions about the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Amazon Prime was originally rolled out as a way to save on shipping or not to have to "save up" orders to have enough to get the free SuperSaver shipping (for orders > $25).

They've added things TO it since then, like the 1 book per month library or steaming some of their videos.

If you order lots of stuff (physical stuff, not digital stuff), it's worth it, especially since it's 2-day shipping instead of eventually-shipping.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Two day free shipping is just that. In the US, I get two day shipping on any Amazon item that is listed as Prime. For me it is a huge plus. For people not in the US, it isn't a big incentive.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I made a qualifying purchase using the Free Super Saver Shipping on August 21. The item was in stock, and I just got it today. It takes awhile, but it gets here.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
And 3.99 for one day shipping, and it use to be 6.99 for 1 day saturday deliveries, but I think it went up to 8.99.. thats still a bargain to get saturday deliveries. You can borrow one book a month, and you can stream Prime movies and TV shows. The free shipment is what does it for me. No taxes, and I don't have to spend time driving to pick it up, just have Amazon ship it.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:57 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Prime is great when you're a student and you got less than 3 days to get a $170 textbook because of lazy professors didn't post the title in time. Amazon is great because they upgraded it to overnight for free.

The Streaming video library has really grown. We own a Roku so we can watch them on our TV. He's never used the Lending library option because he doesn't own a Kindle. I do.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:20 AM   #8
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
I ordered something on bank holiday monday, and i go it tues morning.

I do not live in the USA and i do not know about any other benefits but I cannot complain

I do not know about the streaming option as I am non USA

but I am a member of LOVE FILM an Amazon company so I can watch almost anything, but I never use it.

Last edited by peter12345; 08-31-2012 at 04:23 AM. Reason: added Love film part - an extra paragraph
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
For people not in the US, it isn't a big incentive.
Why do you say that? The free next-day shipping we get with Prime in the UK is well worthwhile for me, given that these days I seem to do virtually all my shopping (except food) on Amazon. Outside the US, the free shipping is all that Prime is - we don't get the book lending, video, etc, but I regard it as worth every penny.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
brandon7s
brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Amazon Prime is ridiculously awesome, for me. 2 day free shipping is VERY much worth it for me, since I tend to order on average of a package a week, and sometimes as many as 10 a month.

I've not taken advantage of any ebook perks to Prime, but for me the shipping perk is such a no brainer deal.
brandon7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
brandon7s
brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Double posted.

Last edited by brandon7s; 09-04-2012 at 04:37 AM.
brandon7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Prime will cost you $79/ year or $6.58/ month. This is what you get:
  • Lending Library -- 1 book/ month
  • Prime Instant Videos -- unlimited viewing / selection smaller than Netflix
  • "free" 2-day shipping -- for eligible items / no minimum purchase
Which of those services will you use and is it worth $79/ year? Keep in mind that without Prime, free Super Saver Shipping requires a $25 minimum purchase. Otherwise, you'll either have to save up small orders or pay upwards of $5+ for standard shipping (3-5 business days); and even more for expedited shipping. I've had non-Prime free shipping orders take close to two weeks to reach me; and I live in Amazon's hometown.

So it comes down to how often you buy from Amazon, and if the eligible book and video selections are worth it to you.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Amazon Prime is worth the $79 for the shipping discounts alone.

I've rarely used the so-called free video as most of the good stuff is for pay, and Amazon charges way too much compared to Netflix and Hulu. They have very little of interest to me among the free videos. Same with their book deals--not much that interests me. And that one free lent book per month is a joke. if you borrow a book that turns out to be total crap, you still have to wait 30 days to borrow another. IMHO, the free videos and books are a gimmick and not worth much.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Amazon Prime is worth the $79 for the shipping discounts alone.

I've rarely used the so-called free video as most of the good stuff is for pay, and Amazon charges way too much compared to Netflix and Hulu. They have very little of interest to me among the free videos. Same with their book deals--not much that interests me. And that one free lent book per month is a joke. if you borrow a book that turns out to be total crap, you still have to wait 30 days to borrow another. IMHO, the free videos and books are a gimmick and not worth much.
I signed up for Prime when it was still just free two-day shipping. For me, anything extra is just gravy. I would agree with you that KOLL and the free videos aren't worth $79 per year. Two day shipping definitely is. A few months ago, I ordered a dehumidifier one Friday afternoon. I paid an extra $3.99 and received it on Saturday morning...shipping from Arizona to Kentucky. Even if I had to pay the current rate of $8.99 extra for Saturday delivery, that's still pretty nice.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Prime can ONLY be purchsed thru a Credit Card!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote