Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
aleq
Enthusiast
aleq began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT (4.0.1), KT (5.3.7.3), KPW1 (sold), KPW2
Kindle 4 NT (Non Touch) and WPA-EAP?

Hi Everybody and mainly Ixtab,
as follow-up to the thread [Kindle Touch] Support for Enterprise WPA I decided to create this one to discuss the possibilities of getting K4NT connected to WPA-EAP. I have already discussed this with Ixtab privately, I'll publish our discussion here so that we can continue in public, perhaps somebody else can also join and help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleq
Hi Ixtab,
sorry to bother you here over PM, I don't know if I can post it to your thread "[Kindle Touch] Support for Enterprise WPA" or create new thread and invite you there.

I'll describe my progress here, feel free to send me with my questions/progress to either of those threads. I'll happily repost this question anywhere else.

I have tried your scripts. It seems K4NT is having different busybox, with weaker date function. I was getting
Code:
date: invalid date '2011-01-16 23:58:14'
date: invalid date '2012-03-16 00:40:36'
I fixed it with
Code:
#CERTIFDATE="${4}-${MONTH}-${2} ${3}"
CERTIFDATE=`echo "${3}" | sed "s/^\([0-9]*\):\([0-9]*\):.*\$/${MONTH}${2}\1\2${4}/"`
CERTIFTIME=$(date +%s -u -d "${CERTIFDATE}")
KINDLEDATE=$(date -u +"%F %T")
KINDLETIME=$(date +%s -u)
With these changes, I get all OKs, no error but nothing happens. I have checked my radius server, no request. Do I need to disconnect current wifi first? I'm connected to Connectify laptop hotspot, from there I'm on SSH. I tried also SSH via USBnet connection from diagnostics, I have enabled WIFI in the diag menu afterwards. iwlist scan says listing is not supported and wpa_cli is not known command.

If disconnected wifi is necessary, I was thinking of removing all wifi profiles and setting up autostart script after boot to issue this command, since there is no launcher hack on K4NT.

Any hint would be helpful.

Best regards,
Aleq

P.S.: Sorry if any of my questions are too lame, I'm standard linux user (yet I haven't dealt with wifi there) but I'm completely new to Kindle area. I just bought it 2 weeks ago and was sad to find out I can't connect it to my home EAP network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab
Hmmm... as to your first question: yes of course, this won't work properly if you're already connected wirelessly. What my (KT) application does is disable wifi, re-enable it, wait a few seconds for everything to settle, and then invoke the bash script. This ultimately results in wpa_supplicant realizing that the network is available and connecting to it.

Can't you SSH into your K4 using usbnetwork when "normally" booted (not diags)? This is the way I would try it.

HTH
Unless I'm mistaken, I can't connect to my K4NT with USBnet unless in Diag mode. Access to WiFi in Diag seems to be limited. I don't have even wpa_cli there.
This is after "WIFI ON"
Code:
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# iwlist scan
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.
usb0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.
usb0      no wireless extensions.
wlan0     AR6000 802.11b  Nickname:""
          NWID:off/any  Mode:Managed  Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Sensitivity=0
          RTS thr=0 B   Fragment thr=0 B
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0  invalid misc:0

[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# iwlist scan
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.
usb0      Interface doesn't support scanning.
wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning.

[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# wpa_cli
-sh: wpa_cli: not found
I have enabled SSH over WiFi connection, but obviously turning off the wifi from there means cutting myself off. I was thinking of running the script delayed, in the NOHUP background, logging the output to the file. Let it turn off the wifi and do its job. There's no nohup, disown, dislocate, screen or setsid so I don't know how to prevent script to be killed when the SSH connection is lost.
aleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleq View Post
I have enabled SSH over WiFi connection, but obviously turning off the wifi from there means cutting myself off. I was thinking of running the script delayed, in the NOHUP background, logging the output to the file. Let it turn off the wifi and do its job. There's no nohup, disown, dislocate, screen or setsid so I don't know how to prevent script to be killed when the SSH connection is lost.
Hello, have you made some progress? It would be really useful to run this on K4NT.
About that delay run: you can install tool called "kite" from here - use script method (kite.gz), because bin update is only for Kindle 3.
As is in description, kite allows you to run anything executable from home screen, so you can write your testing script or program and then run it when wi-fi is switched off.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
aleq
Enthusiast

Hi, unfortunately not. I have actually more questions then answers and nobody seems to be able to answer them. I'm trying, but no progress yet. Thanks for kite, might be helpful!
Old 07-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
aleq
Enthusiast

I tried to call wpa_cli from a command-line (while connected via SSH over different Wifi), but those records get erased when reconnecting.
Then I tried to to call wpa_cli commands after boot from /etc/rcS.d, which resulted in brick I had to recover using MfgTool, DIAG mode, removing the culprint. I don't know what to try now. I don't understand why they added WPA EAP to K5 with new firmware but not to K4 :-(