Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
opengirl
Edge User

Battery?

I just got my Pocket Edge and I'm curious if anyone else has noticed how long it takes the battery to charge... it seems to take forever, sometimes it seems to take longer to charge than the battery lasts.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

The battery should charge in about 2-3 hours tops. Make sure the plug is fully inserted and not in the Headphone jack like I tried when I first got my eDGe

Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Leslie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
The battery should charge in about 2-3 hours tops. Make sure the plug is fully inserted and not in the Headphone jack like I tried when I first got my eDGe
LMAO. I did the same thing :P Couldn't figure out why my battery kept discharging more and more even though it was plugged in!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
melusina
Edge User

Battery life

I got mine yesterday and was also surprised by how long it took to charge. The manual says to charge it 4 - 6 hours the first time. I didn't read that until after mine appeared to have reached full charge, but that still took over 3 hours. And I didn't even get 3 hours out of it today. I understand I can turn off wireless when I don't need it but - less that 3 hours? Ouch!

I am going to look for some older threads that discuss this, but would like to hear recent experience on how long the battery lasts if anyone cares to post here.

And thanks to Leslie and Boris, I did identify the correct place to insert the power plug!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
NiaTrue
Edge User

When fully charged, my battery lasts from roughly 9:00 am until about midnight, though I turn off the wifi and bluetooth when I'm not using them and keep the eDGe closed and set to sleep (make sure you don't have the screen timeout set to never turn off) when I'm not actually looking at it.

Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
sarah11918
Edge User

NiaTrue, you have the full-size model, right? My big edge consistently gets 5 - 6 hours of being in constant use, wifi on, doing stuff on lcd side. It will go all day as Nia mentioned if wifi is off or it's set to sleep and isn't used every single minute. I don't think the PE is supposed to get quite as good battery life as that, due to its smaller size.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
NiaTrue
Edge User

Yes, I have the full-size model. I wasn't paying attention! Didn't realize battery life differed so dramatically between the two. The PE battery should last longer than 3 hours though.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
The PE battery should last longer than 3 hours though.
I was thinking the same thing. Entourage's website states (for the PE): Battery life: up to 6 hours, or up to 11 hours using only the reader screen

Old 02-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
borisb
Edge User

Under very heavy use, the PE may last only 3-4 hours. Under typical use it should last 5-6 hours. If you turn off wifi (and bluetooth) when possible and put it to sleep when not actually using it, you should get 11 hours. The PE's battery life is shorter because the battery is smaller.

Unlike the EE, the PE is not an all-day device and you should have the adapter with you to give it a quick charge in the afternoon. Mine charges in 1-2 hours on the PE adapter, so even a 30 minute charge will give you several more hours.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #10
alex_edge
Edge User

My PE charges in under two hours, and I've worked on it with both screens on, wifi enabled, and music streaming through Rhapsody for just shy of 4 hours without running out of charge. If it's in sleep mode (screen and wifi off), it'll run for about 10 hours. I hadn't realized it wasn't an all-day device! But then I guess I'm not actively using it all day...

Old 02-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #11
melusina
Edge User

Prolonging PE battery life

I opened the widget (at least I think it's a widget, not an app, I'm still not always clear) for power saving. I am not sure which setting I should be using, but at least it's shutting wireless down when I am not using it, so that should make things better.

I have seen something pop up that tells me how much remaining charge I have, but of course I can't find it when I want it. Can anyone tell me how to see this information?

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melusina View Post
I have seen something pop up that tells me how much remaining charge I have, but of course I can't find it when I want it. Can anyone tell me how to see this information?
Press the Menu button, then Settings, About eDGe, Status.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
melusina
Edge User

Thanks, Boris. I should have a little more confidence in myself and the PE, because I found that in the meantime using the PE User Guide - I am so used to not finding what I need in manuals and user guides that I ask the experts first.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
borisb
Edge User

Not a problem