Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
syncing side-loaded books?

Kindle, Nook, and Kobo can sync your last page read across the reader and your phone (right?). My reader has no wireless (and anyway, Sony got shot down with their iphone app) but I'm curious about this. Does it only work for books you bought from the official store? Do any of them sync side-loaded books, such as library books or drm-free books?

eP

elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Not that I am aware of. There are a few threads of people who have found a way with the Kindle and side-loaded ebooks. The most success I have had is reading a side loaded ebook on my kindle, remembering the location I was up to and going to that location when out and about on my phone or ipod. I havent seen any option of a go-to-page with the Kobo app so I don't know if that is possible at all (and nook, well I'm in Australia so I'm not wasting my time).

Not quite automatic syncing but better than nothing.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
catiebug
catiebug began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Android, Sharper Image Literati, Sony PRS T-1
Just wondering if there have been any new improvements or discoveries in this area. I'm in the market for a new reader, and the majority of my books are side-loaded epubs. I'd really love to hear that there is some reader out there that could sync with an app on my smartphone! Anyone?
catiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I have not tried this myself but it should be possible with fbsync app and a rooted nook touch
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you convert your books to Mobipocket format with Calibre's the various Kindle reading apps (and a Kindle reader, of course) will then sync their reading position. Calibre adds the "magic" to the file that's necessary for Amazon's servers to sync them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you convert your books to Mobipocket format with Calibre's the various Kindle reading apps (and a Kindle reader, of course) will then sync their reading position. Calibre adds the "magic" to the file that's necessary for Amazon's servers to sync them.
That's true I think you only option so far is the Kindle.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote