Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Does Amazon push firmware updates more than once?

The meaning of the question:

I understand that Amazon pushes the firmware updates to the root of my kindle at some point. I *think* I read that someone noticed the 3.1 bin file in the root of their kindle. Then it will reboot and install itself. I don't know how instant this push-firmware and then reboot-install firmware is.

If I intermittently turn on wifi to grab a book or two (or my Calibre packaged periodicals) and I quickly check to see if the bin file has crept onto my k3, could I delete it before it "infests" my k3?

And if I can beat the clock and remove it, does Amazon push it again or do they think that it updated? Or does the communication between my k3 and Amazon always or almost always check firmware version and Amazon would push it again and again?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It will carry on trying to push it for as long as you don't have it.

Why would you not want to update to firmware 3.1?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because, at the moment, I am still debating having my own screensavers versus the features of 3.1. I really got very fond of seeing my hiking/travel pictures when I opened the k3's cover. Like a good book, MY PICTURES take me to places I like being.

At the same time, as you may detect, I'm vacillating and might want the new features - although I have no use for the social networking stuff. As many invites as I get I have not joined facebook. And I only tweet since the state department of transportation has great traffic alerts.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
It's my understanding that the firmware updates only download while your Kindle is asleep, and even waits a while (not sure the interval) before downloading it.

Therefore, if you never have wifi/3g on when your Kindle is asleep, it won't ever update.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
It's my understanding that the firmware updates only download while your Kindle is asleep, and even waits a while (not sure the interval) before downloading it.

Therefore, if you never have wifi/3g on when your Kindle is asleep, it won't ever update.
My experience goes against that. I never leave 3G turned on on my Kindle when it's asleep; I only turn it on when I want internet access. I get updates downloaded during the brief periods that the 3G is on.
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Sorry to jump into this thread, but the conversation has sort of turned towards what I was thinking of asking and is related to the OP to some degree. I got my Kindle a few weeks ago, and am enjoying it more than I thought I would. I'm still on firmware 3.0.2, despite this 3.1 update being the current one which has been out for nearly a week. I'm from the UK, I only turn on my 3G occasionally to download a book or do a quick surf (and that's no more than five minutes), so maybe these two things are what's not helping me with the automatic upgrade to the new firmware. So, my questions are: is the firmware update a worldwide thing or confined to certain countries, and roughly how long do I have to keep on the 3G in order to get the update? I'm in no hurry to upgrade, nor am I phobic about it, just curious.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Seems to be entirely random. You might get it immediately; you might wait months. You can always install it manually if you're keen to get hold of it.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My experience goes against that. I never leave 3G turned on on my Kindle when it's asleep; I only turn it on when I want internet access. I get updates downloaded during the brief periods that the 3G is on.
hmm...

Well, I recall when v2.5 came out, I wanted to update to it but at first one could only get it via automatic update and then, for a time, only certain people were getting it (sending it out in batches, I guess.)

I remember looking at Amazon's 2.5 firmware update page back then, and their only instructions at the time were that it would download/update while left asleep for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
is the firmware update a worldwide thing or confined to certain countries, and roughly how long do I have to keep on the 3G in order to get the update?
Go to Amazon's Kindle 3 Software Update page and download/install it manually (it's fast and easy to do). I did also notice that there is a "Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - European Customers" option there.

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-18-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
hmm...

Well, I recall when v2.5 came out, I wanted to update to it but at first one could only get it via automatic update and then, for a time, only certain people were getting it (sending it out in batches, I guess.)

I remember looking at Amazon's 2.5 firmware update page back then, and their only instructions at the time were that it would download/update while left asleep for a while.
Perhaps they just mean that the longer you leave your 3G on for, the more likely it is you'll get the update? It seems to be "pushed" by Amazon rather than "pulled" by the Kindle, so presumably the longer you leave 3G on for, the more likely it is that the push will find your Kindle ready to receive it.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Go to Amazon's Kindle 3 Software Update page and download/install it manually (it's fast and easy to do). I did also notice that there is a "Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - European Customers" option there.
Thanks for the helpful replies.

I'm not really fussed enough to manually install the upgrade or avoid it, I was just curious about when the change would happen. I'm still getting to know my Kindle, so I'm full of such questions. Anyway, thanks for the info about manually upgrading, a task I'm comfortable with, but I'm not fussed enough to go down that route for now and will wait.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
BakerBug
BakerBug has learned how to buy an e-book online

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why would you not want to update to firmware 3.1?
I don't want the 3.1 update either. I like the location information at the bottom of the page. The 3.1 update hides that information unless you press the Menu button.
BakerBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
FF2
Wizard

re: gort's inquiry

No problem. I think the update process is not clear which is also why I asked. I've read that the upgrades have occurred automatically. I've also read regarding book downloads and periodical subscriptions, that these things are "whisked" to the kindle while you sleep. From what I can tell, nothing happens with my WIFI kindle while it is sleeping, never mind while I am sleeping.

I do not power it down. I just allow it to sleep or momentarily slide the power switch to sleep it. I have never noticed that anything new gets delivered to my kindle in this state. It has only been when I wake it to read, that the little downloading circular arrow spins and I see "downloading"

Maybe things do happen when it is asleep but I'm not sure what.

Obviously with wifi OFF nothing can occur.

My question was two parts: can I possibly ascertain the firmware upgrade is being "shipped" and quickly delete it (rename it?)? And will Amazon keep trying to force-feed it to my k3?

There do seem to be some tools in the Developer's forum to prevent the upgrades. No idea if/how they work and whether Amazon might do something to an account that blocks firmware upgrades. I guess they could consider that a violation of the terms of service.

What is interesting is how quickly 3.1 has been released from beta to being sent to k3's.

3.0.2 was never sent (I did that one myself) and 3.0.3 was also not released although available for a while. 3.1 has not been in beta that long but is OUT and being shipped. They must feel very confident.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #13
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBug View Post
I don't want the 3.1 update either. I like the location information at the bottom of the page. The 3.1 update hides that information unless you press the Menu button.
That's true for me as well...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #14
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
amazon will do what it pleases with your Kindle. They feel like they are just loaning it to you for a long time. They can even brick it, if they deem so. Amazon is worse than apple. they are slowly killing the publishing industry and hurting the writers. Amazon is the wal mart of books.
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #15
chyron8472
Groupie

I don't agree with that. Not yet, anyway.

It seems to me that Amazon is trying their hardest to become top dog in the ebook industry. They have alot of things going for them. It remains to be seen what would happen if they actually had the ability to overpower the distributors and other competing sellers in the market.