Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
birdiepilot
birdiepilot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre will not email to Kindle 3

I am new to this so bear with me....

I just downloaded Calibre today, and wanted to email some books to my Kindle using the kindle.com address. Began by trying an existing Hotmail account, when that failed I created a Gmail account. All with no luck.

I have read some comments that DRMed books will not open at all on Calibre, mine open just fine. I am able to use the ebook reader in Calibre to open the files. Just to troubleshoot the problem I tried to fetch the USA Today news, it got the news but failed to email it. I tried changing the encryption from TLS to SSL, then none.....no luck. I AM however able to email a PDF file directly from my Gmail address to the Kindle.....however the same PDF will not email when using Calibre to do so.

I am unable to connect my Kindle directly to my Mac as I am traveling and don't have the connection cord, but will do so in the next couple days.

I know emailing books to the Kindle SHOULD work, because I've seen almost no one complaining about it. Any ideas at all? Should I convert the format prior to emailing? If so what should I change it to? My books seem to be in the MOBI format now.
birdiepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
What error messages are you getting? Which settings do you use?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
birdiepilot
birdiepilot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
well I was just about to explain in more detail what the problem was, but it appears that Version 0.7.45 (which became available today) fixed the problem. no further problems whatsoever!
birdiepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
mep2011
mep2011 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi,
I have the same problem as birdiepilot had. I have a kindle3 and calibre cannot send the news I download via email to my kindle. I have tried hotmail and gmail accounts. I have registered these accounts into my kindle. If I send a document from my gmail account I receive it on my kindle. I have downloaded the last version of calibre available, 7.49, but it didn't change anything. The message I get is always the same : ERRno10061
but I am not sure what settings I should be using. Can someone help me please? Thanks!
mep2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
And I do mean the full error message, not just the error number.
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mep2011 View Post
I have the same problem as birdiepilot had.
Apparently not the same problem since birdiepilot's problem went away as if by magic.

Quote:
The message I get is always the same : ERRno10061 but I am not sure what settings I should be using.
Review this thread it may help. If that doesn't help try any of the threads Googled here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
mep2011

Hello,
The full error message I get is

[Errno 10061] No connection could be established because the target computer expressively refused it.

(I translated the message from French. Even though I changed the language in Calibre to English, the error message still appears in French)

Here is the detailed description given by Calibre
calibre, version 0.7.49
ERROR: Failed to email book: <b>Failed</b>: Email Le Devoir to ...@kindle.com

Sending failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 117, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 171, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 103, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 303, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 281, in _get_socket
File "socket.py", line 567, in create_connection
error: [Errno 10061] Aucune connexion n'a pu être établie car l'ordinateur cible l'a expressément refusée

I hope this helps. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
This can be caused by something as simple as a firewall blocking calibre. Have you checked to see that calibre and the calibre-parallel binaries are allowed to make outbound connections on the requisite ports.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
mep2011

excuse my ignorance but how do I go about checking that.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
excuse my ignorance but how do I go about checking that.

Thanks
Before being able to answer that, we would need more information such as:
- What OS are you using
- Is this a home machine - if not what is it?
- Are you directly connected to the internet or is it via a router.
- What security software do you use (e.g. anti-virus etc).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
mep2011

Hello again,
Thanks for the suggestion, I have allowed Calibre to go through my windows 7 firewall and now, Calibre seems to be able to send news to my kindle via email 1 time out of 6. It is very strange, usually, on the first attempt to email the news the same error message I mentionned before appears and the attempt fails. Calibre makes a second attempt 301 seconds later and sometimes it works. Two days ago one news out of two was emailed (cyberpresse). Yesterday none. Today one out of two was emailed (Le Devoir). I tried emailing the other again but no luck.
To answer your questions, I am on a windows 7 platform (PC). It is my home laptop and I use a router and mcafee.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
MagnaRider
MagnaRider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have the same problem with my Kindle 2. I think my problem may be related to changing password on the email account, but I can't find where in Calibre to change the settings for email.
MagnaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #13
bookit
bookit began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 600 - kobo arc
I'm also having the same problem with sending by email - It's not my firewall, as I've checked to make sure that Calibre is listed in the exceptions - I don't get an error message, the job just sits and runs for ever - My OS is Vista, I use a router and AVG is my security software - I'd really be grateful for some help with this.
bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:17 AM   #14
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaRider View Post
I have the same problem with my Kindle 2. I think my problem may be related to changing password on the email account, but I can't find where in Calibre to change the settings for email.
Look in preferences->email books (it's got an envelope as symbol, you might have to scroll down if you're on a netbook).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookit View Post
I'm also having the same problem with sending by email - It's not my firewall, as I've checked to make sure that Calibre is listed in the exceptions - I don't get an error message, the job just sits and runs for ever - My OS is Vista, I use a router and AVG is my security software - I'd really be grateful for some help with this.
Open up the jobs window by clicking on the spinning wheel in the lower right-hand corner. Identify the stuck email job, select it, and click the job details button. Post the message that appears (might be quite long).
Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
bookit
bookit began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 600 - kobo arc
No message there Manichean - All it says for the job details is that it is 'working' and progress is 'unavailable' - I could leave it run for ever and it will remain exactly like that with the job wheel spinning.
bookit is offline   Reply With Quote