Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-25-2017, 06:52 AM   #25876
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by josnorgren View Post
Reading Underground by Haruki Murakami. Good stuff.
I thoroughly enjoyed that when I read it!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #25877
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished The Iron Dragon's Daughter. I think it could have better with a little more editorial involvement. Not likely to read again.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #25878
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I finished Voilets are Blue by james Patterson and I gave it 3 stars. It was OK. Nothing special.

Now I'm on to The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi.
Please let us know if it was worth all hype.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:26 PM   #25879
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Please let us know if it was worth all hype.
Was there a lot of hype about the book? All I ever heard about it was that [name withheld*] decided to "parody" the name and cover in order to cause confusion (and get some sales in the process). I never heard much one way or the other for Scalzi's actual book though.

*No sense adding another search result for him.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #25880
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Was there a lot of hype about the book? All I ever heard about it was that [name withheld*] decided to "parody" the name and cover in order to cause confusion (and get some sales in the process). I never heard much one way or the other for Scalzi's actual book though.

*No sense adding another search result for him.
That was what I was referring too.
Advert
Old 05-26-2017, 03:09 AM   #25881
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire. A recent Tor freebie that seems to have just won a Nebula Award.
Which was interesting. The fantasy element was very good, but for the puzzle bit the protagonists were a bit slow on the uptake and didn't question the main witness properly. I don't usually get the solution well before the protagonists.

I'll certainly consider any of her books that come up on offer.

Next up: The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell. The second of his series set in the time of Alfred the Great.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:32 AM   #25882
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I'm about a quarter of the way through Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch, 4th in the series. Enjoying this one.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #25883
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Just finished Kevin J. Anderson's Hidden Empire. It is the first in a seven volume series that I am still unsure if I will continue. I will wait until the mood takes me, I think.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:40 AM   #25884
rickumali
rickumali will become famous soon enoughrickumali will become famous soon enoughrickumali will become famous soon enoughrickumali will become famous soon enoughrickumali will become famous soon enoughrickumali will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire
Hi everyone...I finished reading a paperback copy of "Evicted" (Matthew Desmond). I highly recommend it.

The current e-book I'm reading: "How to Hike the Appalachian Trail" (Chris Cage). No, I don't intend to hike the AT, but I like reading about the people that do!
rickumali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #25885
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone;3523334
Next is a recent purchase, [I
The Island Deception[/I] by Dan Koboldt. His second in the Gateways to Alissia series.
Enjoyed this but not quite as much as the first book in the series. Less magic/illusion from Quinn. It seemed much of the plot was the main characters searching, hiding and reconnoitering. It's probably a setup for the next book which, hopefully, will have a nice exciting climax. I'll have to wait until it's published in 2018. Rated B- [4 stars].

Next is a new author for me, The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:31 AM   #25886
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell. The second of his series set in the time of Alfred the Great.
Very good indeed, as expected.

Next up:
Daughter of Witches by Patricia C. Wrede. The second of her Lyra novels, and I expect it to be better than the first one, which was a bit clunky in places, being one of her earliest novels.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #25887
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Now reading Intruder by C. J. Cherryh. This is the 13th Foreigner book.

I started to read a memoir by Steven Tyler, but didn't get past the intro... I may try again, when I am feeling more focused, maybe.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #25888
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Reading "The Compleat I Hate To Cook Book". This book came out in 1986 and contains her books from 1961. It is amusing reading it in 2017.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #25889
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Reading "The Compleat I Hate To Cook Book". This book came out in 1986 and contains her books from 1961. It is amusing reading it in 2017.
I make a couple of desserts using recipes in that original book, which dates me. The chocolate cake and the oatmeal cookies are very good.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #25890
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I make a couple of desserts using recipes in that original book, which dates me. The chocolate cake and the oatmeal cookies are very good.

Jim
The recipes sound fabulous.