Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #16
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Android is messy .
there is a shop at Amazon app, looks like a supermarket trolley. That does not manage apps. But you càn buy stuff. For physical goods it respects your web site one click settings.
Then there is an app store app which you need to keep installed or else your apps bought from amazon will not validate and will stop working I think that inside the app store app you can navigate to physical,goods departments and shop. I have never bought an app via the app store app, but it's probably one click, no security.
Kindle app on android probably has its own set of laws.
Amazon video app obeys the pin code rule set on the website.
I actually made a spreadsheet once as when you add in fire tv sticks, amazon video apps on consoles... it gets ridiculous
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #17
Andy_D
Connoisseur
Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This all sounds insanely complicated and reinforces the wisdom of my decision to use unregistered Amazon devices.

In the case of my cheapo 5th gen Fire 7", I bypassed the registration process the first time I turned it on. All the screens one sees when swiping left have stayed completely empty. The home screen looks like and functions like a Windows desktop. I have sideloaded all the apps I ever could want from two major third party websites that, after I fully investigated them, seemed as trustworthy as the official stores of Google and Amazon. I use a malware scanning app before installing anything and have had no problems. I have sideloaded or downloaded via websites all the content I could possibly want from non-Amazon sources.

I registered my basic e-reader Kindle two years ago, but, again, sideloaded all content. I decided to deregister it. I was apprehensive, because some forum contributors (not Mobileread) wrote that doing so would remove all my data. Deregistering it removed nothing.

I offer the above in case there are others who don't want a financial and personal data relationship with Amazon that's fraught with danger as well as privacy issues, but are afraid they have to have one in order to enjoy an Amazon device. They don't.
Andy_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #18
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
For purchasing on tablets/phones Amazon also has a cool security system whereby after you make the purchase they text you a six number one time use code to enter in the Amazon app. So unless the their or finder of your lost tablet has your phone, they won't be able to complete the transaction. I cannot remember what Amazon calls this security option, but, I use a similar one for various other accounts too. I had some jerks hack into my GoDaddy FTP account and they were able to install malware on my part of the GoCrappy web server. After I discovered and deleted it I started using GoDaddy's Two-Step Verification of security I described where they text you a one time code to enter. Since starting that I've had no other hacks into my website.

ETA: They call it Two-Step Verification. Here is their website on using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
When I purchase on phones or tablets I use a browser set to desktop view. I can't use Amazon’s apps to purchase because the fonts are too small. I have 3 or 4 browsers I use regularly on my devices so I'm not sure if two step would work. As far as Amazon knows I am on a desktop.

I'll have to look into this, but the link you gave said I have to give a backup number to use two step. I don't have one I can use regularly. I do have a landline, but I rarely use it because it's too difficult for me. I guess I could just give that number.
I just saw this in your link. I don't need a backup phone number, I can install an app instead. So if you only have one device that you want to use two step, you would have to install it on the same device thereby defeating the purpose?

Quote:
Do either of the following:
Add a back-up phone number and decide on delivery format (text message or voice call).
Download and configure an authenticator app. This will allow you to generate security codes when you're unable to receive messages to your device.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
When I purchase on phones or tablets I use a browser set to desktop view. I can't use Amazon’s apps to purchase because the fonts are too small. I have 3 or 4 browsers I use regularly on my devices so I'm not sure if two step would work. As far as Amazon knows I am on a desktop.

I'll have to look into this, but the link you gave said I have to give a backup number to use two step. I don't have one I can use regularly. I do have a landline, but I rarely use it because it's too difficult for me. I guess I could just give that number.
I don't have a backup phone number, only my one cellular number and I was able to set it up. That was a while back and I'm not sure whether it is the same as that link I gave. I just googled that today to provide a link.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Personally, I hate browsing and/or purchasing items at Amazon.com on any device other than my computer. I hate trying to do things like that on a phone or tablet. I much prefer having a keyboard, mouse, and large monitor for shopping and purchasing. The websites just seem to work way better with computers than they do on phones and tablets. Web page interfaces designed for computers are a PITA on touchscreen devices. So as I said in a previous post, I make 99.99999999% of my online purchases from Amazon and other retail stores using my computer. I made one purchase via Alexa to get a special deal, and one purchase via my iPhone app, but that is it. I can see using Alexa once in a while because some deals require purchasing through her, but the app is not going to be used again for that purpose. At any rate, with the Two-Step security process I feel much better using Alexa to purchase. It works, it was easy to set up, period. Use it if you care to, don't if you don't want to. However, note that I buy non-digital items only via Alexa. I never buy music, books, movies, etc. through Alexa. The movies I buy from Amazon are purchased through my computer using the Amazon website. I don't purchase movies through the FireTV either.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #21
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Personally, I hate browsing and/or purchasing items at Amazon.com on any device other than my computer. I hate trying to do things like that on a phone or tablet. I much prefer having a keyboard, mouse, and large monitor for shopping and purchasing. The websites just seem to work way better with computers than they do on phones and tablets. Web page interfaces designed for computers are a PITA on touchscreen devices. So as I said in a previous post, I make 99.99999999% of my online purchases from Amazon and other retail stores using my computer. I made one purchase via Alexa to get a special deal, and one purchase via my iPhone app, but that is it. I can see using Alexa once in a while because some deals require purchasing through her, but the app is not going to be used again for that purpose. At any rate, with the Two-Step security process I feel much better using Alexa to purchase. It works, it was easy to set up, period. Use it if you care to, don't if you don't want to. However, note that I buy non-digital items only via Alexa. I never buy music, books, movies, etc. through Alexa. The movies I buy from Amazon are purchased through my computer using the Amazon website. I don't purchase movies through the FireTV either.
What browsers have you tried to use Amazon.com on? Some including Chrome are terrible. Chrome shows every section of the web page for Kindle books in varying font sizes, some normal size and some tiny so you constantly have to zoom in and out. Also half the links I click on most websites wants to know what to open it with. Chrome is the only one that does that. Pita. Right now I'm using Opera and UC browsers both with the UA set to desktop.

Edit: I'm not trying to convert you, I'm just curious.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 12-16-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #22
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

I just purchased a free book on my old HD 8, so you definitely don't need to change your password on devices. Amazon sent me an email when I changed my password so I replied asking how to change the password on my devices. I'll post here if they respond.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #23
Andy_D
Connoisseur
Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've been slowly reading through this thread over a week or so as I've been thinking about getting the new Fire 8". Lots of good information. I just noticed on Sunday that Amazon and Best Buy (and probably all the stores that sell Amazon tablets) have the Fire 8" on sale through Tuesday, 12/20/16, for $69.95, a $20 savings. The $70 price is still $10 more than it was for the Black Friday sale, but it is very tempting. I'm posting this in case anyone else is considering getting this tablet.
Andy_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:41 AM   #24
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
this is my ( not 100% complete )summary of the various controls. pasted from a word doc so formatting may not be great
BUY FROM - video - MP3 - kindle store
Smart TV app - pin n/a n/a
Fire TV stick - device pin ? n/a
Fire tablet - …. Tablet password ……
Android tablet
amazon Video app - pin n/a n/a
amazon Shopping app - ? ? ?

Kindle voyage - n/a n/a password

NB in Amazon speak, the PIN for amazon video is set on web site and applies to all devices. it can be for purchases or also for age related content. the default is No pin.
a newly bought fire TV or Fire TV stick has no device PIN - you have to set it.

Voyage password is done within parental controls on the device
i have never actually bough bought a video via Fire TV stick - logically it should ask for the device PIN and then for the web site video PIN.

I don't buy audio books - I do worry that they are on one (accidental ) click to buy from a Kinlde or Kindle for Android app

Last edited by stumped; 12-20-2016 at 02:45 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote