Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
rlanger
rlanger began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Help with PRSCustomizer!! Please

I successfully flashed my PRS505 and also changed the default font according to the guide on this site.

Now, however, I have problems when I connect my reader to my PC. First, it never says USB Connected, although I can browse the device and it can be recognized by Calibre. The problem arises when I disconnect. The reader is frozen until I reset it.

Second, and this is a slightly bigger problem for me, is that I can't use the Sony Connect software. It won't recognize the reader. I have books that I've purchased on the Sony Connect store and now I can't transfer them to my device.

I would reflash my device to the original Sony firmware, but because it is not showing as connected to my PC, the Sony updater doesn't see it, and just tells me to connect my device to update.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob
rlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:12 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Hmm - I guess one thing to try would be to reflash with the latest PRSCustomizer or Universal Flasher (which is what the PRSCustomizer builds on) as there's no generic issue with USB. Another would be to try the "Format internal memory" (Settings/Advanced) after saving anything on it you want.

As an aside, if Calibre can copy to it, can you copy books to it via your OS (e.g. Windows) in which case, you might be able to just copy the purchased books across 'manually' although this'll only work if you've previously registered your Reader to your Sony Connect account.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
rlanger

Thanks Gwyn. I was able to get my 505 back to normal. However, I can't seem to be able to change the font, as the problem continues to reoccur.

I have no problem flashing with PRSCustomizer and changing some of the options, but when I add the new font, I get the connection problem.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlanger View Post
Thanks Gwyn. I was able to get my 505 back to normal. However, I can't seem to be able to change the font, as the problem continues to reoccur.

I have no problem flashing with PRSCustomizer and changing some of the options, but when I add the new font, I get the connection problem.
Are you perhaps using the UK firmware? That is, have you bought your Reader in the UK? If so, PRSC seems to be having some issues with non-US firmwares, and is not officially supported on them. Strange things start happening, and one of those seems to be an issue with changing fonts. This has been reported before.

For the life of me I can't figure out why this is happening, or why is it happening for some users and not for others. Changing fonts shouldn't impact the device's connectivity in any way.

Then again, it could be something unrelated to firmware versions. I honestly don't have the slightest clue. It's actually deeply frustrating.

Last edited by Valloric; 11-24-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Are you perhaps using the UK firmware? That is, have you bought your Reader in the UK? If so, PRSC seems to be having some issues with non-US firmwares, and is not officially supported on them.
I'm working on a new release of PRSCustomizer that will support UK (and maybe FR) firmware. Current release 1.0 is US/Canada only.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I'm working on a new release of PRSCustomizer that will support UK (and maybe FR) firmware. Current release 1.0 is US/Canada only.
Keep up the good work Jeff.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
rlanger

Quote:
Are you perhaps using the UK firmware? That is, have you bought your Reader in the UK? If so, PRSC seems to be having some issues with non-US firmwares, and is not officially supported on them. Strange things start happening, and one of those seems to be an issue with changing fonts. This has been reported before.

For the life of me I can't figure out why this is happening, or why is it happening for some users and not for others. Changing fonts shouldn't impact the device's connectivity in any way.

Then again, it could be something unrelated to firmware versions. I honestly don't have the slightest clue. It's actually deeply frustrating.
It's a Canuck model.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:46 AM   #8
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlanger View Post
It's a Canuck model.
That should be firmware 1.1
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just wondering if there's some sort of 'scan-on-disconnect' process going on that's using some particular property of the fonts that's not quite correct on the error cases? Are there any 'known OK', 'public domain' fonts that could be uploaded as 'reference fonts' to try & rule that variable out?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
rlanger

It's too bad. I've gone back to the default font.

I tried it with the recommended font in the instructions and also tried it with one of my system fonts, with no luck.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:50 AM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard

I think Jeff found an issue with the PRSCustomizer that was causing some people to have issues on disconnections - I understand that he's just updated it, so might be worth a read of the thread there to try & work out if it's the same issue & if so, if it's worth having another go with the latest version.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #12
Valloric

Yes, you should try once more. The latest version of PRSC possibly fixes this problem.