Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Question Thinking it's time to switch...But is Nexus the best choice?

Theoretically, I'd like just to do this once. I'm finding the vox to crash frequently and have to reset a LOT, so I figure maybe it's time to look again. I want color for magazines and a bit of web, but was put off by the Fire which like the iPad is very closed (though I did like my old Kindle 2).

The question I have is: should I look again at the Arc, go for the Nexus or wait till....I hear Asus is coming out with something? I'm so confused. Then there's Nook...Bit of guidance here please? I mostly use it for kobo/amazon/zinio (magazines) and pdf, though I do also sometimes check my mail as well. Not really digging movies on it or games (that's what my pc/steam is for), so that's not really a factor...Thanks all.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Well the Nexus seems to have a good reputation and customer response seems to have gone well. The Arc has better specs/hardware but then Kobo is Kobo.

The new nook has probably has the best specs of all the current 7" tablets and their products have been pretty rock solid, at least for me. However, it is a closed system and you will be locked into the B&N reader, which is ok, but lacks the features of a "Mantano, Cool Reader or Moon +" all available through the Android market.

I'm going through this exact same question myself and as much as I like the B&N products, I'm tilting towards the Arc or Nexus because I prefer an open platform. I do intend to look at the Nook products however before I commit myself to buying anything.

I am also hesitant to buy from Kobo until I hear other owners opinions however it does appear that most people feel good about their "Glow" purchases.

Last edited by fbrII; 10-14-2012 at 06:19 PM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Well the Nexus seems to have a good reputation and customer response seems to have gone well. The Arc has better specs/hardware but then Kobo is Kobo.

The new nook has probably has the best specs of all the current 7" tablets and their products have been pretty rock solid, at least for me. However, it is a closed system and you will be locked into the B&N reader, which is ok, but lacks the features of a "Mantano, Cool Reader or Moon +" all available through the Android market.

I'm going through this exact same question myself and as much as I like the B&N products, I'm tilting towards the Arc or Nexus because I prefer an open platform. I do intend to look at the Nook products however before I commit myself to buying anything.

I am also hesitant to buy from Kobo until I hear other owners opinions however it does appear that most people feel good about their "Glow" purchases.
The Arc will start at 16 gb for $199, that is $50 less than what the 16 gb Nexus sells for. It's specs are also apparently very good, good screen, front camera and IPS screen for reading in sunlight. It also will have the advantage of having access to the Play Store and all it's apps...That said, I wouldn't buy one during pre-sell period, I'd wait until it's launched and see what users have to say about it. Advertising hype being what it is today, a lot of devices (PW anyone?) disappoint in actual use.
I got the Vox as soon as it was available and as you can see, have gifted it...it was "ok" but once I had my Samsung I used it very little as it was underwhelming by comparison.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
That said, I wouldn't buy one during pre-sell period, I'd wait until it's launched and see what users have to say about it. Advertising hype being what it is today, a lot of devices (PW anyone?) disappoint in actual use.
I got the Vox as soon as it was available and as you can see, have gifted it...it was "ok" but once I had my Samsung I used it very little as it was underwhelming by comparison.
I agree and I do like my Kobo Touch despite all the problem updates it remains my favorite e-reader. I like the crisp fonts, I like the ability to fine tune the fonts and I especially like the fact that Kobo continues to refine and improve their products over time. But, it does come with some road bumps along the way.

The other issue right now is being in the U.S. is when will it be available? The current on going roll out of 2.1.x and product availability in the U.S. are still up in the air.

For me right now Kobo is a curious collection of good and bad and I'm going to see how the next couple of weeks play out. If things improve and they either have product available in the U.S. or make some definite statement about their intent in the U.S. then I will probably wait to see what the initial customer reaction is to the Arc and buy if positive.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
My big feature requests/requirements are Bluetooth and USB charging. IIRC correctly the Arc does neither.

Bluetooth gives you more flexibility in what you can hook up.

USB charging means that yes it will take all night to charge but then I don't need to take, or lose, a special charger. And that really irritates me as on a three night trip I thought I had my spare charger with me and I didn't. I *always* travel with my laptop as I respond to customer questions via email. Somehow the Vox decided to turn itself on in the case so it was nice and warm and had a dead battery when I went to read a book later in the motel room.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
skyritertypes
skyritertypes began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
I've used a nook for a few years (the original and then the simple touch) because I have over 100 books purchased before there were e-readers, and I could load them on the nook. I recently researched tablets b/c I also want easy access to google docs and a particular website (for knitters). I went with the Nexus.

I like it a lot. I've had it for a couple of weeks - put it through its paces. I find Montano easier as an e-reader than the nook reader. It certainly is easier to make collections with Montano than on the nook.

I appreciate having an android tablet that isn't limited by b&n or amazon. I don't know if other vendors offer this option, but I purchased mine through Staples and had 14 days during which I could return it if I didn't like it.

I am not only keeping it, I'm de-authorizing my simple touch and giving it to a needy friend b/c you can, of course, side-load on it.
skyritertypes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
I loved my Vox from the day I bought it almost a year ago. Loved it even more when I found out how to fix the SOD issue. But I picked up a BlackBerry PlayBook 64gb for $199 and the poor Vox is now collecting dust. If you can find a PlayBook, you'll never regret it. Just go to CrackBerry.com and see the love.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbrich View Post
I loved my Vox from the day I bought it almost a year ago. Loved it even more when I found out how to fix the SOD issue. But I picked up a BlackBerry PlayBook 64gb for $199 and the poor Vox is now collecting dust. If you can find a PlayBook, you'll never regret it. Just go to CrackBerry.com and see the love.
The problem is the horrible, horrible app selection in the official App World market, both paid and free. So many developers and big sites/services haven't bothered to make apps for it (Facebook, Twitter, Netflix), so that you have to rely on random developers to not steal your credentials. :P

A goodly number of what it *does* have turn out to either be 3rd-party launchers that just load up the Web version of stuff (like Facebook and Twitter) or else distinctly inferior to the versions on other platforms (I have yet to hear anything good about the Kobo app for BB on the PlayBook). Even with the ability to run *some* (by no means all - or even a lot!) Android apps, which you have to get compiled into the .bar file format (a major pain, by most accounts).

The hardware is excellent (it better be, given it was originally like $350+), but without an even vaguely decent ecosystem, I can't recommend one at any price. Well, maybe free...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

JD, obviously you don't have one. Those that do sing a much different song. To each his/her own I suppose. I have every app that I could possibly want/need. Can't really tell whether it's an Android or Native BB app, both work flawlessly. I can't judge the Arc or the other options mentioned 'cause I haven't tried them but the PlayBook sure has exceeded my expectations and should be on everyones short list if you ask me. Unbelievable value to say the least.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
No, I don't have a PlayBook. Considered it. But, not wanting to be burned, I've spent a couple of hours on AppWorld researching and what I've seen pretty much confirms what I've been told and what I related above.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
wilbrich
Connoisseur

For those who may be wondering what Android Apps are available for the PlayBook, check out this site and browse the PlayBook Apps that have been converted - legitimately I might add.

http://goodereader.com/apps/category/playbook-games/
Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbrich View Post
I agree; the PB is a big step up from the Vox. But then we needed another tablet so I got the Nexus 7 (which IS made by Asus, incidentally) and I really like it too!
Either one is a great choice for Canadians since B&N Nook and Amazon Kindle Fire devices are not really supported here.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Assuming you're asking about the Nexus 7, I'd say it's probably one of the best 7" devices on the market right now. It's blazing fast and the only feature it lacks is an SD card slot, but with an OTG cable (which only costs a couple bucks) you can plug in all manner of USB devices; flash drives, portable hard drives, SD card readers, keyboards, mice, 3G modems, you name it.

Given the cost it actually blows all of the tablet-style ereaders out of the water. You can easily grab the Kobo app, the Kindle app, the Google Books app and any number of brilliant third party reader apps.

I'd steer clear of the Nook, Playbook or the Arc. All three are too specialized and come with no real advantages over a proper open use device like the Nexus 7.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote