Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
3dusty
Connoisseur
3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7
NOW I understand

I'm totally new to ebooks and just got a reader earlier this summer. I've been learning so much from this site.

I've seen discussions about the geo restrictions, but haven't given it much thought....until now!

Found the first book in a series (in which I have all the rest as ebooks) just released in ebook format. Yeah! Tried to purchase and said can't sell to Usa. Huh? This is a book written by a person living in Usa.

So now I understand everyone's pain.

But I do have a question. Once the publisher has set this up, does an ebook ever become available in the forbidden countries in the future, or is it now set in stone that sells will not be allowed in those particular countries?

Thanks for your thoughts and for adding to my education.

Dusty
3dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, 3dusty.

Someone will have an answer shortly....

Feel free to click on the 'introduce myself' thread below and be welcomed properly.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Welcome 3 dusty.

To answer your question: it depends if the publisher of a certain region has the ebook rights and if they do if they want to release the ebook. For instance Stephen King's book were available as ebook in the US for a while before they were released in Europe, same for Stieg Larsson's trilogy and so on.

You could try emailing the US publisher, or even the author, if they have any plans of releasing the novel you want as an ebook. They might have plans to release it and otherwise they will know there is interest in it.

Some ebook stores can tell where you are by your ISP, others use your credit card/paypal details. If you really want to, there are ways to work around most of those restrictions.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
3dusty
Connoisseur
3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info.

The sad part is that I bought the PB but haven't read it yet. I enjoy my reader so much, I can't seem to want to pick up a book anymore. Ebooks have definately changed how I view reading.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dusty View Post
Thanks for the info.

The sad part is that I bought the PB but haven't read it yet. I enjoy my reader so much, I can't seem to want to pick up a book anymore. Ebooks have definately changed how I view reading.
I feel the same way. My youngest daughter is a mad keen reader and drags us into bookstores as much as she can. I look at some of the fiction books on the shelf and wonder how I read such bulky tomes.

We adjust all the time to different ways of doing things I guess!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Welcome to MR Dusty. I ran into that exact problem with the Dog Days series. Books 2, 3, (and soon 4) are available as ebooks, but book 1 was not, at least in the US. I ended up reading the first book in paper, laboriously.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Welcome to the forum.

I've heard several publishers have had problems with the Amazon store making their books "not available in the US" even if the publisher has US distribution rights. I suggest you contact the publisher and ask about it. Good luck!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Welcome to MR Dusty. I ran into that exact problem with the Dog Days series. Books 2, 3, (and soon 4) are available as ebooks, but book 1 was not, at least in the US. I ended up reading the first book in paper, laboriously.
So odd...I was all ready to "prove you wrong" on this. I bought it from Books on Board, according to my records.

Well, I did, but it's no longer in my bookshelf. Probably just another casualty of the Agency5 cartel.

Better make sure I have backed-up backups of this file, since there's no getting it again!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think that's one of the things that is easy to forget when reading an ebook. No matter how many pages a book has they all fit on the same size reader that the book reader has in his/her hands. A 250 page book and a 1,000 page book are all the same to an ebook device. There may be a difference in how many kb's or MB's a book is in size but since we can't weigh that in our own hands we forget about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I feel the same way. My youngest daughter is a mad keen reader and drags us into bookstores as much as she can. I look at some of the fiction books on the shelf and wonder how I read such bulky tomes.

We adjust all the time to different ways of doing things I guess!
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
3dusty
Connoisseur

Yes, I haven't read so much in my life. I read maybe 3 or 4 books a year before the reader. A lot of it was I don't room for storing books and I hate going to town, so don't frequent the library.

But with the reader, I read almost every night and have bought way too many books as storage is no longer a problem.

Yep, I've got 2 pb I haven't read, but I just look at them and pick up the reader. Sad, sad. But most of my reading is at night in bed and with the reader, if my hand slips, I don't lose my place, I can hold it and turn pages with one hand. With the pb, if the dog or hubby shifted just so, it would knock my hand and then I'd have to thumb for my place.

Yup, definately spoiled by my reader. I'll send the author an email and just see what happens. Hmm, are authors made aware of the geo restrictions? Do they have much control or it is in the hands of the publisher?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:34 AM   #11
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Dusty. Coincidentally, we've just been talking in another thread about how folks so quickly lose their prejudice against ebooks when they give ebook readers a fair crack of the whip. And your experience of finding that you now read more than ever is by no means rare. Happy reading and best wishes. Neil

PS: When it comes to georestrictions on ebooks, some stores slap on their own abitrarily to save going to the trouble of sorting out which publishers hold international rights to a title and which have country-specific deals with authors and agents. When a series is available in part, though, it would seem that the publisher holds all rights to the entire series for the outlet with which he's dealing. Your bad experience smacks of a store-imposed restriction. If you alert the publisher or author, I'm sure they'd be grateful for the heads-up and will do what they can to set things to rights. It's, after all, in their own interest to do so. Good luck.Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote