Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #106
megachirops
Enthusiast
megachirops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
I just started using this at v0.4. Very nice work so far! It's made creating collections quick and easy enough that I finally got around to organizing my books.

However, topaz books don't seem to be working correctly yet. They always show up in the list of files in the left-hand pane, but the collection pane shows 2 different behaviors.

1) If I place a topaz book in a collection with your app: the app shows it as being in the collection, but the Kindle does not.

2) If I place a topaz book in a collection using the Kindle interface: the Kindle shows it as being in the collection, but the app does not.

The files in question:

e:\documents\Vinge, Vernor\Vinge, Vernor - Across Realtime 01 - 01 The Peace War.tpz
e:\documents\Vinge, Vernor\Vinge, Vernor - Across Realtime 02 - 02 Marooned in Realtime.tpz

And the relevent contents of the collections.json file. If they are...

placed in the collection by your app: (the app sees it in collection, but Kindle doesn't)

"KCM Test #1 (Placed by app)@en-US":{"items":["*e3af1a6e463a532bce84447088709550ed184a97","*ef79 06550ebcfbf7f748eb9e7e39db6423226c37"],"lastAccess":0}

placed in the collection by the Kindle: (Kindle sees it in collection, but the app doesn't)

"KCM Test #2 (Placed by kindle)@en-US":{"items":["#B000TUB3DY^EBOK","#B001JQLUBC^EBOK"],"lastAccess":0}

megachirops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #107
Colognese
eReader
Colognese began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 2; iRex Iliad ER0141; PocketBook Color Lux; Sony DPT-S1
Many thanks for this wonderful app! Works flawlessly, and all my unfulfilled wishes are already on the forthcoming features list. Thanks for helping us Kindle users to reach the full potential of the Kindle hardware!
Colognese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #108
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgh View Post
Sorry, you will need to wait. It won't do anything without a kindle plugged in.
Ok. thanks.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #109
Bratzzo
Addict
Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

the new version 0.4 looks very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acolegate View Post
  • Add an indicator to show if a file is already a member of a collection.
  • Multi-select items in trees.
I appreciate that these two things will be a part of a future version!

Thank you for your effort.

Bratzzo
Bratzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #110
megachirops
Enthusiast

One more quick bug report...

Collections with a " (double quote) in the name do not get escaped (as is done by the kindle when creating such a name) and cause the kindle to be unable to process the collections.json file. I haven't had time to try other special characters yet (found this by accident).

Kindle created name with ":
"\"Robert J. Sawyer\"@en-US":{"items":[],"lastAccess":0}

App created name with ":
""Robert J. Sawyer"@en-US":{"items":[],"lastAccess":0}

Last edited by megachirops; 09-04-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #111
megachirops
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I'm still waiting on my Kindle 3. Should have it by next week. Would there be any value to installing Collection Manager (I have win7 pro) now? I have purchased quite a few books (mostly free, some not).

Could I be using CM now to organize my books into collections or do I have to wait for my Kindle?
Sorry, you will need to wait. It won't do anything without a kindle plugged in.
For what it's worth, you can play around with the app without a kindle. Just format a usb drive (or any drive probably) with the name "KINDLE" and create folders on it called "documents" and "system" and the app seems to be perfectly happy. Put your books in documents and play away!

Nice way to test things out without having to keep resetting/recovering your kindle if you're trying "weird" things.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #112
jekoby
jekoby began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can't get program to run

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
I just downloaded and installed v0.4. I uninstalled the old version first and then installed the new version. When trying to run it I get the message "Kindle Collection Manager has stopped working". It never initializes. I'm going to try rebooting in a few minutes and try again.

Vista 32-bit, Kindle 3G.
I just downloaded the program tonight and I also get this message - "Kindle Collection Manager has stopped working". I can't get the program to run. Kindle was plugged in. I have Microsoft .Net Framework 4 Client Profile in my "Add/Remove" section in the Control Panel (I wasn't sure how else to see if I had it ) Is there anything else I should/could be checking for?

I have a K2i and am using Vista Home Premium

Thanks!
jekoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #113
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by megachirops View Post
One more quick bug report...

Collections with a " (double quote) in the name do not get escaped (as is done by the kindle when creating such a name) and cause the kindle to be unable to process the collections.json file. I haven't had time to try other special characters yet (found this by accident).
Maybe that's what explains why I see all kinds of weird duplications and missing collection entries on my DXG. All my collections start with an underscore (_).
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #114
megachirops
Enthusiast

Do you have any topaz formatted books? I've had several issues with dupes/missing entries, but they have all been traced back to topaz books. I'm trying to come up with a set of steps to reproduce the dupes issue, but I haven't had a lot of time this weekend so far to work on it. (Though I'm also hopeful they'll just all "go away" if the issue here get's fixed.)
Old 09-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #115
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by megachirops View Post
Do you have any topaz formatted books? I've had several issues with dupes/missing entries, but they have all been traced back to topaz books. I'm trying to come up with a set of steps to reproduce the dupes issue, but I haven't had a lot of time this weekend so far to work on it. (Though I'm also hopeful they'll just all "go away" if the issue here get's fixed.)
Yes, I do have a number of Topaz books. I will try removing them and see what happens.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #116
RosiHorrorShow
RosiHorrorShow began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 (broken =/), EZ Reader Pocket Pro (Loaned)
You are a genius, if there is something that bothered me when i got my kDX was that problem with the collections. Will definitely sign-up for the testing
RosiHorrorShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #117
Dahaun
Dahaun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Many thanks for the app!. Works great on Windows 7 x64 Pro with Kindle DXI.
Dahaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #118
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: in use kindle oasis 2nd and 3rd gen, kobo forma, boox poke5
also can't get program to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoby View Post
I just downloaded the program tonight and I also get this message - "Kindle Collection Manager has stopped working". I can't get the program to run. Kindle was plugged in. I have Microsoft .Net Framework 4 Client Profile in my "Add/Remove" section in the Control Panel (I wasn't sure how else to see if I had it ) Is there anything else I should/could be checking for?

I have a K2i and am using Vista Home Premium

Thanks!
I downloaded the program (KCM_v4) and, running it without a kindle plugged in, I get the "plug in your kindle message." So I plugged in my kindle, try running the program, and then get "KCM has stopped working." I just sent Adrian an email with the details from the error message in case those details mean anything to him.

Using a Kindle DX (firmware 2.5.3) in USB drive mode with several collections already present and several 1000 files. OS-Vista. Add/remove program list shows .NET Framework 4 supposedly present.

I even tried the program using megachirops Kindle on a USB trick with no luck.

If anyone knows what to do that would be great.

I so want this to work, I'm excited at the prospect of not having to put each book into a collection(s) manually.

Thanks

Additional info --

I just got my K3 charged and tried it with KCM and KCM works. Why does it work with the kindle 3 (3.0) and not the kindle DX (2.5.3)?

kindle 3 vs DX - have not yet loaded anything on K3 except a few books ordered off of amazon where the DX has 1000s of books loaded (using calibre). I have "hidden folders" turned on and other than the calibre.metadata folder for the DX, I don't see any differences. I deleted the metadata folder but KCM still didn't work for the DX. If there is a setting on the kindle that needs to be tweaked for the DX to work with KCM, I will definitely need help.

KCM did work with another program that uses calibre, a kindle 2nd gen. File types appear to be the same in the K3, K2 & KDX - but the KDX is still not recognized.

I'm thinking that I have some character or file name that KCM doesn't like, but I can't figure out what yet.

Thanks again

Last edited by ElizabethN; 09-07-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: additional info
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #119
chefguru
chefguru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Does this program really need 1.6GB of free space to install?

I keep my drive partitioned with a smaller section for the OS, and the first thing that happened when I tried to install was a message popped up saying I need 1.6GB of space, but the drive only has 1.5GB

Why does this program need so much space?
chefguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #120
megachirops
Enthusiast

The app itself is quite small (< 250KB). But the install is making sure (I assume) there's enough space available in case .NET v4.0 needs to be installed. If you already have .NET v4.0 on this drive you could try installing the app elsewhere and then copying the .exe to the drive you really want it on.

Tags
collection manager, collections, kindle, kindle 2, kindle 3, kindle dx, manager