Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Question PRS 650 or Kindle 3

I have just pre-ordered the Kindle 3 wifi, but just as I did, outcomes the PRS 650. Can anyone help me out with their thoughts about which one I should buy?

1. The Sony is $90 more expensive.
2. The Sony has a touch screen, but is that any better than the Kindle Nav Button? What would you really use it for?
3. Is it really a problem to be locked into the Amazon store. (I only have a couple of Kindle books at the moment.)
4. Sideloading books is not a problem to me, so I do not mind the Sony's lack of wifi.
5. Can I use the Borders store instead of the Sony store to buy books?
6. Is note taking better on the Sony than the Kindle.

any advice gratefully received.

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
2. it's definitely quicker to choose from a list using touch screen than using keyboard. however, Kindle has text search for book titles/authors so it's probably not as important
3. depends on your beliefs. also, if you read popular books you generally don't have to look outside kindle store so it's not a big problem.
5. nope, B&N's DRM is not compatible with ADEPT DRM (used by Sony).
6. yes, touch screen is definitely more convenient. also, Sony has freehand annotation and sketching which is impossible on Kindle.

Other advantages of Sony:
1) much better support for PDF, with pan and zoom
2) native support for RTF
3) lending library ebooks (mostly limited to U.S.)
4) many shops that offer compatible EPUB books (see inkmesh.com)
5) more built-in dictionaries
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
creativelywarped
creativelywarped began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I'm pretty sure Borders books will work on the Sony. I haven't actually tried it yet but the website has Sony listed on there.
creativelywarped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Sorry, igorsk, but the question was about Border's not B&N. As far as I know, Borders just uses Adept, not the B&N flavor of DRM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Oh, sorry. Yes, then it should work.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativelywarped View Post
I'm pretty sure Borders books will work on the Sony. I haven't actually tried it yet but the website has Sony listed on there.
Unless they have changed their standard, the ebooks purchased from B&N do not work with our Sony readers. I sent an email to B&N asking and their response at the time was that only those listed in their website are supported: Nook, iPad, iPhone, PC, BlackBerry, Android, MAC...
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Un-scientific

Thanks everyone. I try to be scientific and Mr. Spock logical, but the Sony just has the appeal over the Kindle. Perhaps it is the aluminimum over plastic, perhaps it is a desire to go back to my retro days of having a Palm TX, maybe I can see a possible use in the future for me being able to take notes separate to the book, perhaps......
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
I have just pre-ordered the Kindle 3 wifi, but just as I did, outcomes the PRS 650. Can anyone help me out with their thoughts about which one I should buy?

1. The Sony is $90 more expensive.
2. The Sony has a touch screen, but is that any better than the Kindle Nav Button? What would you really use it for?
3. Is it really a problem to be locked into the Amazon store. (I only have a couple of Kindle books at the moment.)
4. Sideloading books is not a problem to me, so I do not mind the Sony's lack of wifi.
5. Can I use the Borders store instead of the Sony store to buy books?
6. Is note taking better on the Sony than the Kindle.

any advice gratefully received.

Hal.
1. Yes, and you don't get WiFi, 3G, AC charger.
2. Unless the new Sony touchscreens are really greatly improved over the 600 and 900 (which I used to own) I would say that the K3 navigation is as good as the non-responsive, stylus required touchscreen.
3. Kindles are NOT locked in to Amazon store. I read as many Sony ePubs on my Kindles as I do mobi books because deDRMing and conversion is easy.
4. You can convert and sideload to either Sony or Kindle.
5. I think so, but never bought from Borders.
6. Possibly if new touchscreens are more responsive. But I prefer a keypad to a stylus. Others prefer the stylus.

I also disagree with the person who said Sony has better PDF support. My K3 has the best PDF support I've seen. Panning and zooming is no real option. If you have to pan and zoom on each page then you need a larger reader like the Kindle DX or an iPad.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Sorry, igorsk, but the question was about Border's not B&N. As far as I know, Borders just uses Adept, not the B&N flavor of DRM.
Borders uses the standard Adobe Adept DRM. I've purchased about a dozen books there and loaded them to my Sony PRS-505 and have had no problems attributable to the DRM.

I HAVE had a problem with one book that was not formatted correctly and wouldn't open. Kobo Support is looking into it now.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
perost
Enthusiast
perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
2. Unless the new Sony touchscreens are really greatly improved over the 600 and 900 (which I used to own) I would say that the K3 navigation is as good as the non-responsive, stylus required touchscreen.
Are you saying that the Sony readers require a stylus? The Sone readers with touchscreen has always worked perfectly fine with fingers, and the new ones are no exception.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Smile

Borders, Borders!!! Not sure how the heck I read Barnes & Noble...
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The biggest draw for my in a Sony vs. Kindle comparison is Sony's ability to borrow library books (U.S. and Canada). I read a book a week but rarely purchase. Instead, I have a few library cards that keep me with a large supply of available books.

If you ever do need to purchase books, there are many places other than Sony that offer title selection comparable to Amazon.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Actually, the OP said Borders which is compatible with Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
Thanks everyone. I try to be scientific and Mr. Spock logical, but the Sony just has the appeal over the Kindle. Perhaps it is the aluminimum over plastic, perhaps it is a desire to go back to my retro days of having a Palm TX, maybe I can see a possible use in the future for me being able to take notes separate to the book, perhaps......
I have read about some pretty nasty spills some Sony Readers have taken and they came up with the screen in tact. I'm not sure a Kindle could take those spills and come up working.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
1. Yes, and you don't get WiFi, 3G, AC charger.
6. Possibly if new touchscreens are more responsive. But I prefer a keypad to a stylus. Others prefer the stylus.
The touch screen on the 600 is quite responsive. Also, on the new Readers, you can use your fingers or the stylus. Your choice. I don't see how you could say that the touch screens on the 600 are non-responsive when clearly they are.