Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
This is probably the reason why there are so few readers out there

It's probably due to idiot moms like this. Ugh.

http://creativeauthorsguild.blogspot...-buy-book.html

It's people like this telling their kids that books are stupid and not to read them that are making this world so bad, and reducing the total reading public. Of course, these guys aren't the only ones hearing that kinda stuff. I've talked with a lot of people at conventions, signings, or just on the street, and their general take on books is, "They're stupid" or "Nah, I don't read. It doesn't interest me." or excuses even more lame than that.

One of my favorites comes from a comic book convention where I asked a guy, "Why don't you read books" to which he replied, "Oh I do. But I want mine to have pictures in them.

Uh, isn't that what your imagination is for? And no, just because a comic book has the word "book" in its name doesn't mean it's truly a "book" by the proper definition of the word. Ugh. Sorry for the rant, but this just bugged me.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
That's disgusting, but I don't think it's the underlying reason for the lack of readers.

Reading is a skill, and like any other skill it takes effort to learn and practice to master. For many people, that's a barrier they can't just get over. A skill that you haven't mastered enough to enjoy is just a chore.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
For alot of people staring at a page for hours on end makes them tired, and that feeling isn't very desirable when you are using it for entertainment. Plus there is a huge time barrier between reading a book and watching a movie.

My two sisters don't read because they don't find it enjoyable. Only one of them finds it "stupid" but she's got alot of issues anyway LOL.

But I agree that's disgusting, put the book down or I'll take away your make-up?? Really??
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
This is so sad.

My mother has never been a reader. But she and my father actually bought me my first books, read to me, etc. She values reading, even if it doesn't interest her much.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
NightLight
Banned
NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3
First off, I think taking away makeup from young girls is a good thing.
Secondly, movies, video games, texting and television are what's killing reading.
People now have the attention spans of gnats.
And it's getting worse.
NightLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
OK, all of you who believe in democracy! Remember that that woman has the vote!

I agree that the story is disgusting. It troubles me that someone with that attitude should have the money to pay for airline tickets.

However, on the bright side, the girl did pick up the book on her own, and enjoyed reading. Perhaps she will not allow her mother to be much of an influence later on.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:57 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
First off, that mom is a loser. I feel sorry for her daughter.

Secondly, I prefer pictures in my books too. I used to do book reports in school by reading the Classics Illustrated version.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:25 AM   #8
Entu
Ice queen
Entu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Maybe this woman know what its best for her kid.... maybe.....

When i see person with book/reader in hand in my city i'm really amazed, it wasn't that bad like 10 years ago,when i'm talking with people they are not intrested in reading books they call it "time waste", why read book when they can see move and its takes only 1,5h!

And this mom wasn't one person who call books stupid, 3 or 4 years ago i was meet some really nice guy, but on our first date when i say to him i like reading books he say " really? But books are stupid and brings nothing to life, i never understand womans.. " that was ofcourse our last date :P , but sadly more and more people like that in the world..

OOT - Tubemonkey nice post count 666 :P
Entu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entu View Post
OOT - Tubemonkey nice post count 666 :P
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:32 AM   #10
Marc Johnson
Marc Johnson doesn't litterMarc Johnson doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post

One of my favorites comes from a comic book convention where I asked a guy, "Why don't you read books" to which he replied, "Oh I do. But I want mine to have pictures in them.

Uh, isn't that what your imagination is for? And no, just because a comic book has the word "book" in its name doesn't mean it's truly a "book" by the proper definition of the word. Ugh. Sorry for the rant, but this just bugged me.
Hey, I read comic books. They're a lot deeper and well written than you give them credit for. At least most of the non-superhero ones, which is what I mostly tend to read these days. And a lot of movies are based off comics. Not the obvious ones like Watchmen or 300 but ones like The Road to Perdition and A History of Violence.

I don't know if you read comics but if not you may want to give anything Vertigo a try. Then there's Bone, Strangers in Paradise, The Walking Dead.
Marc Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #11
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Comics are a distinct way of conveying information and stimuli in order to deliver messages, and they deserve the same consideration of art that literature has.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #12
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:

Uh, isn't that what your imagination is for?
This reminds me of the story of a young teenager in the UK who was interviewed around the time television started up, particularly children's television. She was asked which she preferred, children's radio or children's television.

"Oh, radio," she replied. "The pictures are better."
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I've never met a parent who told their kid to not read, unless it was an inappropriate time.

I've met many parents who failed to encourage a kid to read, but none that tried to prevent it.

Seems like a caricature of the more general suppression of curiosity. Good easy way to evoke anger among some folks.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
My parents always encouraged us. Even though my younger brother never got into reading until he was older, we were never ever stopped from reading (ok, I was stopped from reading about every day, but that was more because I never knew when to stop and would read the night away )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
It's probably due to idiot moms like this. Ugh.

http://creativeauthorsguild.blogspot...-buy-book.html
I'm so afraid to hit the "context" button on this, but...

Is it possible that the woman's cash was tapped out? Plane travel can do that to ya.

Is it possible that the book, however innocuous to the author, was considered anathema by the mother? (Maybe she has a bee up her butt about Dr. Seuss, I dunno...) Maybe she didn't want to encourage reading of that particular type of book, and carelessly made a comment that encompassed all books?

Is it possible that the mother was just having a bad day? (Again, traveling in an airport, I can believe that...)

Okay, I got nothin' on the makeup bit...

But bottom line, without a bit more context, the author might have been reading the moment the wrong way... and considering how extreme the mother's viewpoint sounds, I would tend to think he'd missed something significant before or after that conversation.

(Or maybe I'm just feeling overly-sympathetic after watching Scrooged last night...)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote