Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #1951
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Kumabjorn: Do the books in question (the ones for which the collection import seem to fail) appear as 'on device' (with a green checkmark) in Calibre when the device is plugged?

Do you have any weird plugboard?

How were those book sent to the device and how were they added to Calibre?
Old 12-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #1952
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Kumabjorn: Do the books in question (the ones for which the collection import seem to fail) appear as 'on device' (with a green checkmark) in Calibre when the device is plugged?

Do you have any weird plugboard?

How were those book sent to the device and how were they added to Calibre?
Yes, the checkmark is there. As I purchase books from Amazon, the first thing I do is move it to the Collection it belongs to. When I have finished reading it, I move it to Finished Books Collection (on the Kindle) and remove it from wherever it belongs so there is only one tag for the book.

Only other Plug-in that I'm aware of is Alf's. I could have some older ones that I've forgotten about. Can I get Calibre to do a listing/print out?

Usually they are added as a batch of 6-8 books when connected to Calibre through USB. I select them as a Group, drag them to the Library Icon, and when DeDRM tells me the registration number is missing (or something to that effect) I click OK and then it appears DeDRMed in the Library. The Kindle DeDRM says it is version 0.4.02 (if I recall correctly). If this is important I can do a more thorough check when doing the next batch.

PS. Don't know if this is significant, all my Collections were originally created on the Kindle, including the Biography that doesn't show up in Calibre. Hence I have manually added it. And after my latest attempt I addedd Collections tags to some 50 books just to see if it will make a difference the next time I connect.

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 12-24-2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 12-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #1953
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Bad!
I tried it with my UK Kindle, this has a lot less books. It worked flawlessly, so then I re-attached my US Kindle and redid it, left to make some pasta, and let it run it's course. What I hadn't realized is that it takes a while for the script to run. I was looking at the Jobs progrssion circle and when it said 0 Jobs I used to click it, thinking it was finished. I always got a (not responding) on the top frame of the Window. Learned my lesson, you have to allow it something like 5 minutes to run through.

However, now I have an entirely different problem. When I move from Library to Device, there is no information in my Collection column. This is where I actually want it the most. I want to see on my Device what books are in the Finished Books Collection so that I can delete them from the device en masse. Is there some way to accomplish this?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #1954
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Kumabjorn: Calibre doesn't handle Kindle collections in the Device view, and the plugin doesn't change that. Perfectly normal .
Old 12-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #1955
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Kumabjorn: Calibre doesn't handle Kindle collections in the Device view, and the plugin doesn't change that. Perfectly normal .
It took me a while to realize that. However in the plug-in customization dialog box there is a choice of Create and Delete for the included data fields. If I chose delete and set the parameter to Finished Books, would that delete those books on the Kindle or would it just remove the tag associated with those books?
I'm trying to figure out how to delete all those Finished Books in one simple batch.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #1956
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Kumabjorn: Like the name implies, it'll just handle the Collections . It won't touch the book themselves.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #1957
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I've finally reached the same conclusion. I suppose it is possible to write some script that adds a checkmark to a new finished reading column that can be on the device interface. Then delete.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #1958
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Shouldn't you be able to see on the library view which collections it has, once the plugin syncs? Then just search for books where ondevice:true and has the collections tag Finished Books. (The plugin is able to extract the preexisting collections and import to a custom column.)

Then click delete in the main interface and select only on device.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #1959
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Shouldn't you be able to see on the library view which collections it has, once the plugin syncs? Then just search for books where ondevice:true and has the collections tag Finished Books. (The plugin is able to extract the preexisting collections and import to a custom column.)

Then click delete in the main interface and select only on device.
This is why I need the experts advice, I'm not good enough on my own. I'll give it a try.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #1960
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Let me addend my latest post. I'm now almost good enough to handle it. I hadn't noticed the Remove on device option under the Remove Books button. So I tried that, then this happened:

calibre, version 1.16.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Error 5] Access is denied: u'F:\\documents\\TheGloryOfDawn.prc'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 596, in _delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 345, in delete_books
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'F:\\documents\\TheGloryOfDawn.prc'

That one I removed directly on the Kindle, connected again, updated the Kindle Collections with a new Import from Kindle command, did another Remove Books from device, and this time all but 22 books where removed (from a total of 157), and finally the remainder I did manually on the Kindle. Quite a time saver. I freed up some 600 MB of space. All in all, a liberating Xmas gift.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #1961
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Thanks, I am just a little confused which files I should be installing to get my PW up and running with both CM and this plugin. Should I be installing the jailbreak, kindlet, CM files and this one??

EDIT: I think I found the instructions I am looking for, so I am about to jailbreak and then install the collections files. Yikes, here I go...

EDIT2: Obviously I am missing something very important, where do I import the collection into the CM??
Where are the instructions to get CM and the plugin running on a PW2? I presume they include instructions for jail breaking? BTW, I have a PW2 with special offers and don't want to remove the special offers. Does a jail break do that?

Edit: forgot to mention I'm running this on an iMac with OS 10.7.5.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #1962
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Universal Jailbreak instructions: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645
Download CM from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186305 instructions are in the post. You MUST be running the 5.4.0 firmware.

Download the Collections plugin from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1760

Jailbreak has nothing to do with Special Offers.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #1963
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Universal Jailbreak instructions: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645
Download CM from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186305 instructions are in the post. You MUST be running the 5.4.0 firmware.

Download the Collections plugin from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1760

Jailbreak has nothing to do with Special Offers.
If I understand correctly, the jailbreak will work with 5.4.2 but CM won't? I've got 5.4.2. Are there instructions for backing back to 5.4.0? What should be done first, jailbreak or backing up to 5.4.0?
Old 01-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #1964
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
If I understand correctly, the jailbreak will work with 5.4.2 but CM won't? I've got 5.4.2. Are there instructions for backing back to 5.4.0? What should be done first, jailbreak or backing up to 5.4.0?
jailbreak must be done in order to perform the unofficial maneuvers to flash a system image for the 5.4.0 firmware. Since I've said it before, in obscure locations throughout mobileread, I will simply quote it, it's easier that way:

Quote:
@indigo121, there IS a way to downgrade the Kindle Paperwite 2 from the v5.4.2 firmware to the v5.4.0 firmware, which would fix the sync problem. (The problem is Amazon's badly-thought-out Cloud Collections feature, which 5.4.0 didn't have.)

To do so is however fairly technical, but if you wish to try it out, follow the directions here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt and grab the system images here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/

What you are doing is: booting your Kindle into diags mode, and overwriting the OS firmware with a snapshot of the 5.4.0 firmware, created by the saviors at the Kindle Developer's Corner () by imaging a KPW2 which wasn't updated yet. You MUST be jailbroken in order to do this!
Old 01-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #1965
seadad9903
seadad9903 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle 3 (MIA), Kindle 4 (kidnapped), Kindle Fire HD
I have a couple of questions. I recently switched from a kindle 4 to a PW2. I had been using this plugin to organize by authors on the kindle. When I switched, I found out that I could not do that on my PW2 with 5.4.2. I considered downgrading the firmware, but decided that I didn't understand the process enough to try it.

With NiLuJe's update of the tweak to Kindle Collections, do you need to still use the CM plugin?

How do I add the tweak to Calibre? I found the pref pane in Calibre to add tweaks, just don't know the steps.
Closed Thread