Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2020, 10:38 PM   #16
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I have used a Fintie easel case on all my Kindles.
I've saved this case to my wish list. The easel function is definitely attractive. I'm using my phone holder right now and it's great.

Last edited by tdonline; 10-16-2020 at 11:21 PM.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:39 PM   #17
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

badgoodDeb, thanks for the tip.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:51 PM   #18
tdonline
Addict

I've found reading in landscape mode to be most comfortable in handling the Oasis. It gives me that big lower edge, just like the Paperwhite. Conversely, it's also why reading in landscape mode for PW never worked out--I lost that big lower real estate to hold onto. So basically I've just paid $175 so I can read the PW in landscape mode, lol.

I'm using my little phone holder to hold the Oasis for hands free reading too. I also have an old zippered soft case that fits it snug. I'll probably buy a dedicated case for it one day, but the urgency isn't there anymore.

Things I've noticed in a day of ownership: 1) auto brightness = flickering light? 2) warm light, not completely sold on it...it's similarity to urine hue is ummm...difficult to ignore. 3) alignment is not available in Oasis??!! 4) is it me or are the margins (including header and footer) quite big? I feel like my PW has much smaller margins.

Last edited by tdonline; 10-16-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Mine updated and looks to be working fine. I'm super excited too...I'm a little appalled how nerdy giddy I'm getting.

But yeah, holding it is driving me nuts. I usually hold off buying cases until I get a feel for the reader. Within seconds, I learned I need something that gives me a better grip for the back. Wish Amazon had used the same material as the PW, which is comfortable to grip.

There used to be something that attached only to the back of the ebook reader - some kind of 'rubberized' something. It had no front at all; therefore, it was technically not a case. Also, it may have been only for the Paperwhite.

I have no link, unfortunately.

Well, I decided to look on my own. Here's something:

https://www.amazon.com/Young-Kindle-...0791BBNKV?th=1

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-17-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:09 PM   #20
tdonline
Addict

Drib, I may consider that back cover if I stick with the soft case that I already have.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:01 PM   #21
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Things I've noticed in a day of ownership: 1) auto brightness = flickering light?
Well, all LEDs flicker: the only way you can adjust the intensity of an LED is to make it turn off sometimes and on the rest of the time. Usually this is thousands of times a second and more or less imperceptible, though. You might be hypersensitive to interference beats between (also flickering) incandescent/CFL/LED house lighting (all of which flicker one way or another) and the differing flicker frequency of the LEDs in the Kindle. It's worth seeing if turning house lights off makes the lighting seem less flickery.

I have noticed that the auto-brightness moves in perceptible increments when it changes light intensity, which might be visible to you as flicker (though it's not actually flickering, just changing in jumps). I barely notice it when I'm looking for it, though.

Quote:
2) warm light, not completely sold on it...it's similarity to urine hue is ummm...difficult to ignore.
You could also think of it as an 'old paper' hue. Old books with cheap paper go a very similar colour

Quote:
3) alignment is not available in Oasis??!!
It is, but this depends on the book format, since in typical halfwitted Amazon software-misengineering style every single book format has a completely separate reader implementation with different features (as well as different interpretations of all the font size and spacing settings). Only the readers for AZW3 and KFX books support controllable alignment: the reader for older MOBI books, including periodicals, doesn't. (But if you're generating your periodicals from Calibre you can tell it to align as you prefer when you make them: the ebook-convert flag to look for is --change-justification.)

There is probably not much reason to generate new mobis that aren't periodicals these days, but of course you might have lots of older books that are mobis already and aren't changing.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #22
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Well, all LEDs flicker: the only way you can adjust the intensity of an LED is to make it turn off sometimes and on the rest of the time.
LED intensity can also be adjusted by changing the current supplied to the LED.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:33 PM   #23
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Someone here, forgot when or who, suggested these lovehandle things.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NXZM2Y9

The larger one is 4 inches and is on my Oasis3 and the smaller is on my phone. Best accessory I ever got for my kindles. Its been on since August 2019 and hasn't moved or come off. Seems to stick really well to the metal body of the Oasis. Its on the thick part so it makes it so very comfortable to hold now putting some fingers in while the thumb hovers over the buttons. Takes all the pressure of the wrist. I have never had a cover on this O3. I bought one for the previous model O2, but rarely used it. I like the shape of it with the wedge and any cover just made it to heavy for me.
I might even have a picture saved somewhere. If I can find it, or if I can figure out how to post it here.

eta: As expected, I can't figure out how to attach the photo. Tried every which way and is always invalid. Trying just to post the link to my photo on the site itself.
https://imgur.com/EWv4Zbx

Last edited by Atunah; 10-19-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #24
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post

eta: As expected, I can't figure out how to attach the photo. Tried every which way and is always invalid. Trying just to post the link to my photo on the site itself.
https://imgur.com/EWv4Zbx
Yeah, you can't just drag a pic in, unfortunately.

What works for me: if doing a "quick edit" instead click on the other option -- "Go advanced".

Scroll down below the post, to "additional options". In the second paragraph click "manage attachments".

"Browse" to locate pic on your device.

Click "upload". Wait till it does (I've erred there before). Then click to close the "manage attachments" window.

"Preview" the post to be sure it worked. Then "Submit Reply".
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Well, all LEDs flicker: the only way you can adjust the intensity of an LED is to make it turn off sometimes and on the rest of the time. Usually this is thousands of times a second and more or less imperceptible, though. You might be hypersensitive to interference beats between (also flickering) incandescent/CFL/LED house lighting (all of which flicker one way or another) and the differing flicker frequency of the LEDs in the Kindle. It's worth seeing if turning house lights off makes the lighting seem less flickery.
Not quite right there. While PWM is fairly common, you can also control LED brightness by modulating the current. Controlling the current has it's own issues as the brightness is not linear and you can see colour changes. As for the speed of PWM? The issue there is that quite a few PWM setups are barely into the 100Hz range never mind the 1KHz range. If you Google around, you can find several studies most of which concluded that any PWM of 400Hz or higher is imperceptible even during saccades.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #26
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
decalgirl skins. I get the almond blossons in glossy and it looks like a chinese vase and feels good to the touch.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #27
tulanespartan
tulanespartan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis 3
The case suggested above by Dr. Drib is great. I've had one on my Oasis for almost a year now, and I've never considered taking it off. The case adds very little weight, but it makes the Oasis much nicer to hold. It makes the back of the Oasis feel very similar to the back of a Paperwhite. The case also creates a small lip on the front which protects the screen when putting the Oasis screen side down on a flat surface.

https://www.amazon.com/Young-Kindle-...=mr060-20&th=1
tulanespartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #28
tdonline
Addict

So as not take up too space in the thread, I won't reply to everyone. But thank you to everyone for your 2 cents.

I added vertical strips of masking tape to the back. It's an abomination to look at but it's working and allows me to read in portrait mode. I have the tape where parts of my hand and the fingertips rest and the tape provides just about enough grip. Also no residual stickiness. Likely a temp fix as I spend more time with the reader and gives me a better idea of what kind of case to buy.

Just silly that Amazon's premium reader is so poor in ergonomics and forces people to DIY or buy solutions to fix the problem.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #29
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Just silly that Amazon's premium reader is so poor in ergonomics and forces people to DIY or buy solutions to fix the problem.
Especially since they had a kindle in 2014 with much better ergonomics, the Voyage.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote