Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #61
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Doesn't the great Steve Jobs teach us that choice is bad? He decides for us and we just happily accept what he hands down to us.

Slowly the other companies are learning his ways.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #62
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
PC World UK selling a wifi only version!

Gosh, don't understand why they always give less alternatives to USA customers.

It's bad enough that they remove phone cability from these devices. I would love to ditch my do-it-all phone and carry one thing.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #63
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Good price for the Wifi Only Xoom in UK

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/01/m...ndercuts-32gb/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
It's bad enough that they remove phone cability from these devices. I would love to ditch my do-it-all phone and carry one thing.
I'd probably have a Galaxy Tab now if they had left the phone functions in for the States.

There is some hope still in the Asus Memo. It not only has phone functions but comes with a small bluetooth handset type device that allows you to take the calls and it acts as a streaming music player etc

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/28/a...ands-on-video/

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 03-01-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #64
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Forget about the wifi version only. It looks like the ad has been removed from the UK page.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #65
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Forget about the wifi version only. It looks like the ad has been removed from the UK page.

I wouldn't say forget about it, it's most likely a place holder
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #66
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well, I hope I don't regret it, but I just bought it along with the 3GB plan...

Full report later....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #67
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Full report later....
If you plan on having this thing with you where ever you go, then you are going to want to be connected regardless, then I think you made a good decision. $600 is pretty sweet, and especially if you would have paid for 3G anyway, then $20 isn't a bad deal at all. Heck my wifes Starbuck's weekly allowance is more than $20 LOL.

Since it is only 1G just make sure you do most of your heavy lifting (video and music streaming) over wi fi, everything else should be peanuts

Congratulations and can't wait to hear how you make out.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #68
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Full report later....
Hahaha, I knew you were not going to wait! ... please let us know and enjoy your new device!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #69
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post

There is some hope still in the Asus Memo. It not only has phone functions but comes with a small bluetooth handset type device that allows you to take the calls and it acts as a streaming music player etc
Thanks.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #70
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:

Full report later....
Enjoy!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #71
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hahaha, I knew you were not going to wait! ... please let us know and enjoy your new device!

Well I did "delay" it a week.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #72
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:

Well I did "delay" it a week.
Kenny,

Let us know how Kindle app works, I was not able to test, you need to register. Also, not sure about NC for Android on such big display, but I think B&N was working on the optimized version. It would be awesome if you can also test that one as well.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #73
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
If you need 3g and not just wi-fi, I think that's the plan to go with. $25/month and triples the 1G plan for just $5 more.

I was mistaken, or what read was wrong. the 3G plan is actually $35/month...
Yes, for $15 more I get one more GB, but it's the difference in overage cost that’s the decider; $20/GB for the $20 plan and $10/GB for the $35 one.

If I use 3GB<4GB, under the 2GB plan it costs $60, but under the 3GB plan it’s only $45. And, if I use 2GB<3GB under the $20 plan it costs $40.

My typical usage on my HTC EVO 4G is a little under 2GB/mo, and I find myself surfing more on the SGT, so I think the 3GB plan will end up less for me.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Yes, for $15 more I get one more GB, ...
2GB more actually

1GB = $20
3GB = $35
5GB = $50

From the verizon site (for my zip code):

For Tablets, Mobile Hotspots, Netbooks & Notebooks
Mobile Broadband Plans
Monthly
Access Fee Monthly Data
Allowance Per-GB Rate
After Allowance iPad 3G Tablets Dedicated
3G Mobile
Hotspot 3G Netbooks
& Notebooks
$20 1 GB $20 Yes Yes — —
$35 3 GB $10 Yes Yes Yes¹ —
$50 5 GB $10 Yes Yes Yes Yes
$80 10 GB $10 Yes Yes Yes Yes

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...nd/?page=plans
Old 03-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #75
kennyc

Quote:
Kenny,

Let us know how Kindle app works, I was not able to test, you need to register. Also, not sure about NC for Android on such big display, but I think B&N was working on the optimized version. It would be awesome if you can also test that one as well.
I will definitely give the kindle app a try. Got it on my DroidX and it's great. I'm not sure about the NC as I don't have any of that or an account.