Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Credit Card charged?

Mine was charged. Don't companies usually charge at the time if shipping? Anyone else charged?
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
Mine was charged. Don't companies usually charge at the time if shipping? Anyone else charged?
Everyone who's pre-prdered is reporting being charged.

Most companies (at least ones I've bought from) charge on shipment, but they can charge immediately as long as they plan to ship within 30 days. I don't know if that means B&N will be shipping pre-orders before 11/30 or if they're doing something they shouldn't be. Is it possible that it was an authorization or hold and not an actual charge?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I sent a question to Support last night and received the following late this afternoon:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email regarding your Barnes & Noble pre-order for a
title not yet published.

When you place an order through our web site, your credit or debit card
is authorized, not charged, for the amount of the order. This
authorization puts the funds on reserve, which most card-issuing banks
release after a seven-day period.

Barnes & Noble charges for the order only upon shipping. As the release
date of your title draws closer, we will submit a new authorization
request to your bank.

Please accept our apology for any confusion or inconvenience in this
matter. Thank you for the opportunity to clarify the payment
authorization process.

Visit www.bn.com and click on the options that appear in the upper
right-hand corner to view information about your order.

We look forward to your next visit.

Sincerely,

Shannera
Customer Service Representative
Barnes and Noble
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneaber View Post
your credit or debit card
is authorized, not charged, for the amount of the order. This
authorization puts the funds on reserve, which most card-issuing banks
release after a seven-day period.
Maybe we're splitting hairs, but this "authorization" will cause you to overdraft (that is, if you roll with a low balance). So it's just as bad as a charge.

Moreover, what good is an "authorization" that proves you currently have $274 in your bank account? 39 days from now, you will have a very different amount. Doesn't make sense for the system to say "hmm, they have $274 in the account now. Check. Seven days from now, we'll reverse this charge then charge them again in over 30 days. Hopefully the funds are there then..."

Maybe I'm too logical?

I'm just not sure what the authorization proves/accomplishes.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
They most definitely will put a hold on the funds, but it will probably expire before your next credit card bill comes due, considering that shipment of the devices is still more than 30 days away. For the record, my credit card has not been charged for my pre-order.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Maybe we're splitting hairs, but this "authorization" will cause you to overdraft (that is, if you roll with a low balance). So it's just as bad as a charge.

Moreover, what good is an "authorization" that proves you currently have $274 in your bank account? 39 days from now, you will have a very different amount. Doesn't make sense for the system to say "hmm, they have $274 in the account now. Check. Seven days from now, we'll reverse this charge then charge them again in over 30 days. Hopefully the funds are there then..."

Maybe I'm too logical?

I agree with this...
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:

Maybe I'm too logical?

Not saying it is right but that is the way it has always been done. The retailer is making sure you have a legitimate card and funds. In this instance there is a large gap between the ship date. I doubt the B&N store/system could differentiate between that and something in stock. So they default to what is "normal." Many companies just drop ship products so they need to make sure the funds are available. Look at places like ebags.com, costcentral.com, etc, etc. You order from them but the product comes directly from the manufacturer or other large distribution house. So the retailer makes sure everything is good before placing the order with the manufacturer or distribution center.

That's why I use a credit card. Yes, I have too many of them and I only use one for online stuff. I don't really care that they authorize things. If you are fiscally responsible and don't like credit cards good for you. However, I think having at least one in your wallet is necessary. I don't like giving anyone access to my checking account.
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
PBee
PBee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Last year I ordered a Cybook from Books on Board which, at the time, was out of stock however B on B charged my CC at the time I placed the order. They gave me the excuse this is their standard procedure. I returned the device, and that's another story, and have not been back to them since.
PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 AM   #9
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:

Maybe I'm too logical?

I am sorry but that is the way the US banking system works. I know first hand that if can cause you to overdraft, as this happened to me many years ago.

As for the time, the law allows for 5 business days. That is why they told you seven days. It also up to the bank how long it is held for. With my current bank account, it is only 1 business day.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
PBee
PBee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
I've said all along that with 1 exception I've never been "charged" prior to shipment. Today I have to amend that statement. Last night I ordered 2 items from Amazon.com, one who I claimed never charged me prior to shipment. I just went on line to view pending charges on my CC account only to find 2 "Temporary Authorization"(s) dated yesterday for last night's order. Has this been charged to my account? Technically no but the funds for last nights order are not available to me at this time. You could say there is a difference between "charges" and "authorizations" but the effect is the same.

The bottom line - if you don't have the money for it today don't even consider pre-ordering.

Oh, by the way, that "crow" I'm eating right now is quite tasteful. :-)
PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
For the record, my credit card has not been charged for my pre-order.
It is up to the financial institution if they want to deduct an authorization hold from your available balance. It is also at their discretion whether they will show you any authorization holds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze
Be a where how your financial institution handles things of this nature. There the ones who decided if they want to deduct authorization holds from your balance and charge you overdraft fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze

Maybe I'm too logical?
The chances of you having the money now and having it 39 days from now are very good. Mainly they want to see if you have the money now, because if you don't they will cancel your pre-order instead of holding the device when there is a good chance you still won't have the money when the product ships (which could change to tomorrow). Also, B&N is not reversing anything, your financial institution decides when authorization holds expire.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
nemix
nemix began at the beginning.

Device: nook
interesting enough, a new hold from BN for the ammount of my preorder hit my card today. The day I preordered the preauth hit and then expired. Now its back. Maybe some Nooks will ship before the end of the month?
nemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemix View Post
interesting enough, a new hold from BN for the ammount of my preorder hit my card today. The day I preordered the preauth hit and then expired. Now its back. Maybe some Nooks will ship before the end of the month?
OMG, don't get my hopes up!
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
Texan08
Texan08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Charged

My credit card was charged Friday, must be getting close.
Texan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #15
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Orders are not supposed to ship until December 18th.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote