Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-05-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
startreksteve
startreksteve began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Wanting to Read Ebooks and Feedly on Ebook reader - reccomendations?

Really like the Kobo Aura 1, but a bit pricy, and I cant access feedly and I'd really like a few Android apps on it, dropbox for example. I looked at the Android based Ereaders, but the screen refresh looks atrocious. Ideally I'd like a 7.8 inch with android and a screen as good as a Kobo Aura or paperwhite, dont think it exists yet! I've had a Kindle 3 for around ten years, and my eyes are starting to struggle a bit on a six inch screen.

Any ideas guys?

Steve

Last edited by startreksteve; 09-06-2017 at 04:54 AM.
startreksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
Enthusiast
guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Inkbook 8
Icarus Illumina XL HD should be ready at the end of this month.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
The Icarus Illumina XL HD is only $20 less than the Aura 1, not including shipping from Europe.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:34 AM   #4
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
The simplest answer is indeed that the kind of product you want does not exist yet. But perhaps ONYX BOOX T76ML Carta comes closest. It has the same screen as Kobo H2O and the Android can be officially upgraded to 4.4 from what I have heard.

I have Pocketbook Inkpad 2, 8" screen at about 250 ppi. It has inbuilt Dropbox, RSS reader (I use those), Readrate (I turn this one off), and very good notetaking-bookmarking-highlighting with the inbuilt reader app.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:45 AM   #5
startreksteve
startreksteve began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hmm interesting, so whats the RSS Reader like on the Pocketbook? as good as Android Feedly?

Steve
startreksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
Peleke
Peleke began at the beginning.

Device: Currently: Imcosys ImcoV6L - Soon: Onyx T68
Any updates about Feedly on eReader?
Peleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
maximus83
Nameless Being

I'd consider using a 7" to 8" real Android tablet for this. If using primarily as an ebook reader replacement, but want something that can also run basic Android apps like Feedly that won't overtax the CPU, this would be a reasonable approach.

Here are a few good Android tablet options in your size range, at various price points.

1. Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4. Excellent specs and premium hardware. Keep your eyes open on Amazon and other places, price fluctuates between $289 and $319 recently.

2. To save a few $ but still get a quality high res screen, consider buying an older existing Android model and just updating the OS version with a custom ROM. CPU won't be quite as fast, but these are perfectly usable and Feedly runs great on mine. Three good options for this are the Google Nexus 7 2013, the Asus Zenpad 8, and the Samsung Galaxy S2 8" from 2016. You can still find any of these for new on Amazon or other places. For an example on how to update a Nexus 7, see my post here on how I did it.

3. A forthcoming new Samsung 8" tablet that looks interesting, good specs, is here. Catch with this one is I don't know exactly when they'll release it or price point.

4. Also, there are of course a plethora of other less expensive Android tablets. Samsung has a current model Galaxy Tab 8" that runs around $200, it's just lower resolution. At the lowest price point, Amazon has a Kindle Fire that's 8" and gets good ratings.