Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-01-2017, 05:14 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
August 2017 Discussion: Your Turn, Mr. Moto by John P. Marquand (spoilers)

The time has come to discuss the August 2013 MobileRead Book Club selection, Your Turn, Mr. Moto by John P. Marquand. What did you think? Join the discussion whenever you’re ready.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:53 AM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I haven't read the book yet as I just bought it after this morning's conclusion to the vote, but since Marquand's six Mr. Moto novels were published between 1935 and 1957, it would be interesting to read them with a special attention to how he dealt with the character during World War II.
Advert
Old 08-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
2013?

I found the book on Hoopla, so I'll give it a try, although "thrillers" aren't really my thing. I'm wondering if it is really a thriller in the manner of current day thrillers?

Last edited by Alohamora; 08-01-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
This book is in the public domain in Canada and other Life+50 countries. For Canadians only, the book can be downloaded from the FadedPage web site.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm really enjoying this as a window onto the 1930s. That said, you have to be conversant with the history of that era or do a fair amount of googling. I wondered whether a reference to Manchukuo, for one example, would register with some modern readers.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm really enjoying this as a window onto the 1930s. That said, you have to be conversant with the history of that era or do a fair amount of googling. I wondered whether a reference to Manchukuo, for one example, would register with some modern readers.
This is one (of many) reasons that I try to avoid reading historical novels, or novels set in other time periods, as pbooks -- the ease of instantly looking up references either in the Chambers Dictionary or on Wikipedia whilst reading on a tablet or ereader.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

It didn't with me; I had to goggle it.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to note that the August lit club selection, Murder in the Cathedral by T.S. Eliot, also was written in 1935. Read in conjunction, they could provide insight into the political climate of the times.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #9
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Your turn, Mr Moto was an enjoyable trip back through time to an exotic East that was the ideal setting for mystery and espionage. It is a formulaic story that turned out to be a lot of fun. My library has the first three Mr. Moto books, and I liked the first novel well enough to read the next one, Thank You, Mr. Moto.

I particularly enjoyed reading about the political climate in the 1930's, as well as the descriptions of Shanghai. I lose interest quickly in a book that has no sense of place and time, and Your Turn, Mr. Moto has both in abundance.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:41 PM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post

I particularly enjoyed reading about the political climate in the 1930's, as well as the descriptions of Shanghai. I lose interest quickly in a book that has no sense of place and time,
I entirely agree. The sense of place is both credible and palpable. I also find the characterization of Casey Lee a persuasive evocation of the disaffected of the 1930s. His denunciation of his country is stunning and I suspect more typical than we like to think with our backward viewpoint.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I remember watching the old Peter Lorre movies growing up. They were good but I don't think they were very faithful to the novels. Moto was an Interpol detective.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:26 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Everyone who enjoyed this month's selection so much that they've already bought the second in the series raise your hand.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:46 PM   #13
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Everyone who enjoyed this month's selection so much that they've already bought the second in the series raise your hand.

BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Well, I can't say I've bought them, but one of my OverDrive libraries has Freading and they're available on demand, I can happily and cheaply say.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

I haven't even started it, but based on early reports, I went ahead and downloaded the additional ones that are up on FadedPage (Canadian Public Domain site.) Still considering using some of my AudibleUK credits on one or more of them. Will depend on how much I enjoy this one.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote