Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Empty carousel after restart

I'm having an odd problem with my Glo, running firmware 2.4. After I sync with calibre (all of my books are added using calibre, even the ones I purchased from Kobo) the carousel has the 5 most recently added books. When I open a book, that book is promoted to the top slot. If the reader goes to sleep, the carousel stays populated, but if the reader powers down the carousel is empty when it starts up again and it says I have no books in my library. If I leave the main screen and come back (open a book, view the list of books, put the reader to sleep, or go into the settings and then come back to the main screen) the carousel is populated again with the books I would expect to see.

Any ideas or pointers as to what may be causing this?
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Don't power off?

I have seen that a couple of times after a firmware update. But, after going to any other screen and returning, it is fixed permanently.

Other than that, my first thought is a corrupt database. The power-off should force a write and read of the database, but if there is a problem with the database, the write might not happen and it is reading an unchanged database. You can do a check on the database to see if it has a problem.

The only other thing I can think of is the "Kobo Reader.conf" file. This has some options about what gets shown at restart or disconnect. They should get changed so that they only happens once or once per firmware version. If something is preventing this file from being updated, then it could do what you are seeing. But, the only likely reason for this is if the file system is corrupt.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Don't power off?
It had occurred to me to set the "power off" timeout to something obscene like 2 days

Quote:
Other than that, my first thought is a corrupt database. The power-off should force a write and read of the database, but if there is a problem with the database, the write might not happen and it is reading an unchanged database. You can do a check on the database to see if it has a problem.
I'm only familiar with "PRAGMA integrity_check", which returns "ok". Is there anything else you have in mind?

Quote:
The only other thing I can think of is the "Kobo Reader.conf" file. This has some options about what gets shown at restart or disconnect. They should get changed so that they only happens once or once per firmware version. If something is preventing this file from being updated, then it could do what you are seeing. But, the only likely reason for this is if the file system is corrupt.
What options should I be looking for? Nothing in there jumps out at me, but maybe it's just late I'm not sure if all the options are in there; numPartialUpdatePageTurns, which another thread led me to believe should just be present under the "Reading" section, was not present even though I had previously changed the number of page turns before a full screen refresh.
Spoiler:
[General]
AIRPLANE_MODE=true
hasSyncedExistingRelatedItems=true
libraryBuilderBlueprint=filterByMine()\naddDownloa dedFilter()\nviewBy5List()
selectionStyle=underline

[ApplicationPreferences]
0000CCCC=true
CurrentLocale=en_GB
EarliestChangeLog=2.1.5
HomePageShown=true
LastChangeLog=2.4.0
LastLibrarySorter_books_=sortByTitle()
LastLibrarySorter_books_filterByBundled%28%29=sort ByTitle()
LastLibrarySorter_books_filterByMine%28%29=sortByT itle()
LastLibrarySorter_books_filterByPreviews%28%29=sor tByTitle()
LastLibrarySorter_home_=sortByHomePage()
LastLibrarySorter_home_filterByBundled%28%29=sortB yHomePage()
LastLibrarySorter_recommended_=sortByNull()
LastLibrarySorter_shelf_filterByBookshelf%28Doctor %20Who%20-%20New%20Series%20Adventures%29=sortByTitle()
LastLibrarySorter_shelf_filterByBookshelf%28Malaza n%20Universe%29=sortByDateAddedToShelf()
LastLibrarySorter_shelf_filterByBookshelf%28Single %29=sortByTitle()
LastLibrarySorter_shelf_filterByBookshelf%28Solar% 20Clipper%20Trader%20Tales%29=sortByDateAddedToShe lf()
LastLibrarySorter_wishlist_filterByWishlisted%28%2 9=sortByWishlistDate()
LastSyncTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%{\x16\0}1'\x2)
PromotionsAvailable=true
QuickTourShown=true
ShowBrightnessToast=false
showFirstTimeExperience=0

[PowerOptions]
AutoFrontLightOffMinutes=5
AutoOffMinutes=60
AutoSleepMinutes=5
FrontLightLevel=2
InvertFooterWithFrontlight=false

[Reading]
numPartialUpdatePageTurns=90
pageTurningOption=default
readingAdobeShowPageNumbers=false
readingAlignment=
readingFontFamily=Linux Libertine
readingFontSize=24
readingLeftMargin=0
readingRightMargin=

[ReadingLife]
DeleteSocialCredentialsPending=false
FacebookAuthToken=
FacebookId=
FacebookName=
FacebookProfilePicture=
FacebookShareActivityTo=false
FacebookTokenExpiry=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0\0\0\0\xf f\xff\xff\xff\xff)
FacebookUpgradeShown=true
SendSocialCredentialsPending=false
StatsTrackingEnabled=true

[Services]
ContactUsURL=http://webstore.kobobooks.com/71187/contact.html
EulaURL=http://webstore2.kobobooks.com/boutique/webstoretermsofuse
FirstTimeUXURL="https://secure.kobobooks.com/71187/ftux?pwspid={0}&wsa={1}&pwsdid={2}&pwsav={3}&pwsdm ={4}&pwspos={5}&pwspov={6}"
ForgotPasswordURL=https://www.kobobooks.com/passwordretrieval.html
ImageHandlerURL=http://ecimages.kobobooks.com/Image.ashx
PartnerProxyHandlerURL=https://mobilepartner.kobobooks.com/71187/mobileRequest.ashx
PrivacyURL=http://webstore2.kobobooks.com/boutique/webstoreprivacypolicy
PurchaseURL=https://partner.kobobooks.com/checkout.html
RequestURL=http://mobile.kobobooks.com/71187/mobileRequest.ashx
SecureURL="https://secure.kobobooks.com/71187/Purchase/Index?wscid=&ctype=&wsukey=&wsuid=&pwspid=&wsa=&Is Gift=False&isfte="
ServiceDomain=.kobobooks.com
SignInURL=
SocialAuthorizationURL=https://social.kobobooks.com:8443
SocialURL=https://social.kobobooks.com
WebsiteURL=http://www.kobobooks.com
WebstoreProxyURL=https://partner.kobobooks.com/71187
WebstoreURL=http://webstore2.kobobooks.com/71187

Would it be safe, do you think, to sideload the 2.4 upgrade and let the reader "upgrade" from 2.4 to 2.4 again? I'd like to avoid a factory reset if I can, mostly so I don't have to re-import all my books...
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
I'm still on 2.3.2 and have this problem. I found out clicking the "Reading" link above the carousel again makes them show up properly. Or clicking it twice if it's on "Store" to start with.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@jgoguen What I've found can really speed up the reloading of books is making a backup of the Kobo before reset, and then post reset, restoring it.

I DO tend to be selective and don't restore the .kobo directory and it's children, and also skip the Digital Editions one.

I DO restore the .adobe-digital-editions as that saves having to redo the Adobe authorization.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
A very fast way to do a pseudo-reset is to delete the Kobo.sqlite file only.
Reboot and you'll have to log in again into your account and the file will be recreated.
I had to do so when I upgraded to 2.4.0, so I can assure this works only under this firmware version, but I think it should work regardless of what is yours.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
It had occurred to me to set the "power off" timeout to something obscene like 2 days
I use never for the power off. The only time I power of is to do a restart.
Quote:
I'm only familiar with "PRAGMA integrity_check", which returns "ok". Is there anything else you have in mind?
That's the command I use.
Quote:

What options should I be looking for? Nothing in there jumps out at me, but maybe it's just late I'm not sure if all the options are in there; numPartialUpdatePageTurns, which another thread led me to believe should just be present under the "Reading" section, was not present even though I had previously changed the number of page turns before a full screen refresh.
The only one I think that is related that you are missing is "FteLandingShown=true".
Quote:
Would it be safe, do you think, to sideload the 2.4 upgrade and let the reader "upgrade" from 2.4 to 2.4 again? I'd like to avoid a factory reset if I can, mostly so I don't have to re-import all my books...
It wouldn't hurt to do it. I have done it a couple of times in the past with no problems.

I have also done what Peter suggests to back everything up and put the it back on after the factory reset. It works unless the database is the problem.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
But that is why I skip restoring the .Kobo directory SD once that is where the database is.......
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I forgot you said that. I've done the restore with everything, and with everything except the kepub and images directory. It works, but can get some strange effects. Opening a kepub if they aren't restored will give an error, but doing a power off and restart will normally solve this.

But, I generally don't bother at all. After a factory reset, kepubs come down from the server. And I sideload the epubs from calibre. For kepubs, I take it as an opportunity to prune the books on the device. The only issue is the reading status, and that's easy enough to solve