Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Order
Order began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reader for study purposes

Hey everybody, I am quite new to the world of ebook readers and until now I have been quite happy using my laptop for reading purposes. However, I will have to travel extensively and laptops are not necessarily very easy to handle inside buses and trains. My first thought: How difficult can it possibly be to find the right one. After doing some research I am pretty confused now. I would be happy if someone could offer some recommendations.
What I need:
- I am not going to read "real" ebooks bought somewhere. I need to read PDF journal articles, ranging from properly formatted to badly scanned, longer HTML documents, TXTs, and DOCs
- Should support underlining stuff etc.
- Should have a dictionary
- Should not be destroyed by the first bump in the road
- MP3 could be nice (I don't want to invest in an iPod)
- Other gimmicks are not really necessary

I hope you can help me.
Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Order!

The only presently available e-ink device that comes close to your list of requirements is the iRex iLiad. I don't, however, believe that it can handle dictionary lookup for PDF or HTML files. Anything you can get into Mobipocket format, it should do lookups for you. It does have annotation capabilities for PDFs.

Even the iLiad is going to be a bit cramped for reading PDF files that are formatted to A4/letter sized pages, but it's the only one available that can make any real claim to handling them.

A note on MP3 players -- just buy another brand of player. There are a multitude of name-brand players out there that aren't iPod, aren't expensive, and work just as well. I have a Sansa Express 1GB player (with a micro SD expansion slot) that I got for playing audiobooks. I've been quite happy with it, and it only cost me $40. It also has a 16 hour battery life, which is very nice.

Generally speaking, a Reader that plays audio isn't going to be all that great a quality on sound (fine for the non-audiophile, but nothing special), will take up a lot of you memory with audio files, and speed your battery draining. A dedicated MP3 player may well be a better solution for what you need, but only you can really decide that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
Order

Thank you very much for your answer. If I could do without annotation capabilities, MP3 and dictionary, what would you consider recommendable.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The only eInk device which is remotely good at reading large page-size PDFs is the iRex iLiad. It's hopeless to even try on any device with a 6" screen (ie Sony, Gen3, Kindle, etc).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Order

Large Page Size means DIN A4? So there is really no way to read a simple scan of that size properly?
Advert
Old 01-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The problem is that the screen of a 6" reader has an area which is approx 1/6th that of A4. PDF pages cannot, generally speaking "re-flow". It's just a physical impossibility to sensibly view an A4 page on a 12x9cm screen. The problem lies with the PDF format (which was never intended to be an eBook format), not with the device.

The iLiad has an 8" screen rather than 6". This is large enough such that, by cropping the margins, most A4 PDFs can be read reasonably well, half a page at a time, in landscape mode. The iLiad has the most sophisticated facilities for handling PDFs of any of the eInk readers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:29 AM   #7
Order

If I had non-scanned PDFs in DIN A4 format, could those be easily converted to fit the screens of other readers? The iLiad is somewhat expensive...
Old 02-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Order View Post
If I had non-scanned PDFs in DIN A4 format, could those be easily converted to fit the screens of other readers? The iLiad is somewhat expensive...
It very much depends on the Reader. So far none of the dedicated eBook Readers except the iLiad have taken the PDF reading seriously. They only support it for a checkmark in the list of features. Hopefully Sony will be releasing a reader that can reflow PDF files which might solve your problem. They showed one at CES but it did not show images while reflowing which is a poor solution.

The best current products that can reflow PDF files are all PDA's. Palm and Pocket PC devices will reflow the text and show the images. Depending on the software they can also switch to showing the full page which can be zoomed and panned when you want to see the relationship to the page format.

For Palm check for PalmPDF or Adobe Palm (Adobe requires conversion on a PC), For Pocket PC (Windows Mobile) check for Adobe Pocket PC edition (note this is a large install of 8 Megs so it is best on a memory expansion card).

Of course you can also convert your PDF to a form more acceptable to eBook Readers. There are lots of conversion tools available.

For more information check PDF on the wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:05 AM   #9
Order

Thank you for your answer. Conversion seems to be the best option under these circumstances. So I guess what I need is just a normal reader with standard features.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi Order

To your needs I would look into a UMPC - less then 1 kilo weight, 7” screen, full windows computer inside (no speed demon, but gets you any normal work done) and can ready any eBook/digital format you want.

Not cheap, but can replace your laptop on the road and at the office or home if you want.
Lots of information about them (and also tabletpc’s):
http://www.gottabemobile.com

Bets regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote