Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Post support for IBM/360/370/S-390 code on the Kindles (KUAL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Those are more likely to work on a Kindle than files with: "IBM360" in their name.
The above quote was originally written as a joke.

It is real.
Not yet done with the configuration and set-up of the various K5 models but enough code has been run to know this will work.
Spoiler:

But stay tuned, support for IBM/360/370/S-390 code on the Kindles is being considered by twobob and myself.

This is not a promise of upcoming support, only a experiment for now:
http://www.hercules-390.eu/
{We where both running in 'sleep deprivation' mode when we discussed it.}

twobob did a great job on the cross-compile of Hercules.

All of the materials that may be used in this project are being pushed to public repositories. With a bit of re-organization as time passes:
All of these repositories are "dual admin'd" (twobob and myself) as is our policy.

The Disk Image files are too large to post as attachments here at MR, so an alternate distribution point will be established.
Most likely, from the KUAL web of http://wiki.knetconnect.com

This work is still using the K5/Hercules posted in the second post of this thread.

Meanwhile, for your reading pleasure, the documentation for the emulator is attached. The 'User Reference' pdf is a good starting point.

For those who might be interested in reusing broken screen Kindles as a cluster of K5/370 or K5/390 mainframes . . . .
Those mainframes communicate between each other using a 'channel-to-channel' adapter.
The HerculesNetworking.txt read-me document describes the CTC support available.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HerculesGeneralInfo.pdf (3.56 MB, 1268 views)
File Type: pdf HerculesInstallation.pdf (8.04 MB, 934 views)
File Type: pdf HerculesMessagesandCodes.pdf (737.5 KB, 283 views)
File Type: pdf HerculesReferenceSummary.pdf (439.7 KB, 520 views)
File Type: pdf HerculesUserReference.pdf (2.54 MB, 1359 views)
File Type: txt HerculesNetworking.txt (14.1 KB, 687 views)

Last edited by knc1; 08-29-2013 at 09:04 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Post HERCULES EMULATOR (REQUIRES KTERM)

EDIT: Okay all done:

The Hercules System/370, ESA/390, and z/Architecture Emulator

Quote:
Hercules is an open source software implementation of the mainframe System/370 and ESA/390 architectures, in addition to the latest 64-bit z/Architecture. Hercules runs under Linux, Windows, Solaris, FreeBSD, and Mac OS X.

Hercules is OSI Certified Open Source Software licensed under the terms of the Q Public Licence.

Hercules was created by Roger Bowler. Jay Maynard (“the Tron Guy”) was the maintainer from 2000 to 2012. Jan Jaeger designed and implemented many of the advanced features of Hercules, including dynamic reconfiguration, integrated console, interpretive execution and z/Architecture support. A dedicated crew of programmers is constantly at work implementing new features and fixing bugs.
UPSTREAM: http://www.hercules-390.eu/

REQUIRES: KTERM!!

This release includes a version that activates the HTTP port on 8081 - That version will add one folder to the ROOT of the kindle under /usr/share.

The other button (Non-HTTP) won't make any amendments to root.

Enjoy this mega retro mainframe release!

Further Images: http://www.ibiblio.org/jmaynard/
and
http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/turnkey/cookbook/index.html

(read the rest of the thread if you want to find out the general discussions)

Thanks!

EDIT: (version 0.2)

Now includes a Client and several variations of boot.

The top button is the one most users would want.
Server (SILENT) + Client
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_542.png
Views:	402
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	109668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_548.png
Views:	391
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	109694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_543.png
Views:	437
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	109695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_549.png
Views:	396
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	109699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_550.png
Views:	441
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	109700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_551.png
Views:	419
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	109701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_552.png
Views:	385
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	109702  
Attached Files
File Type: zip hercules-emulator-KUAL.zip (3.25 MB, 266 views)

Last edited by twobob; 08-20-2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: all done
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the move.
I edited the post a bit so people know they are now in the right thread.

and for those who want to dream a bit:
http://www.ibiblio.org/jmaynard/

That: Andy Norrie's 4 pack VM/370 system entry sounds interesting.
( VM/370 on a Kindle, what else can I say than: Tripping! )

Last edited by knc1; 08-20-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks Mike.

I meant to get round to that and got sidetracked.

Heroic
Old 08-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
twobob

[root@kindle root]# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/us/extensions/hercules/lib/hercules:$LD
_LIBRARY_PATH /mnt/us/extensions/hercules/bin/hercules

Hercules Version 3.07
Quote:
(c)Copyright 1999-2010 by Roger Bowler, Jan Jaeger, and others
Built on Jun 18 2011 at 16:18:09
Build information:
Debian
Modes: S/370 ESA/390 z/Arch
Max CPU Engines: 8
Using setresuid() for setting privileges
Dynamic loading support
Using shared libraries
HTTP Server support
Regular Expressions support
Automatic Operator support
National Language Support
Machine dependent assists: (none)
Running on kindle Linux-2.6.31-rt11-lab126.#1 Tue Jul 17 16:55:47 PDT 2012 armv7l UP
HHCHD018I Loadable module directory is /usr/lib/hercules
Crypto module loaded (c) Copyright Bernard van der Helm, 2003-2010
Active: Message Security Assist
Message Security Assist Extension 1
Message Security Assist Extension 2
HHCCF003S Open error file hercules.cnf: No such file or directory
HHCIN900I Begin Hercules shutdown
HHCIN901I Releasing configuration
HHCIN902I Configuration release complete
HHCIN903I Calling termination routines
HHCHD900I Begin shutdown sequence
HHCHD901I Calling hdl_term
HHCHD950I Begin HDL termination sequence
HHCHD951I Calling module *Hercules cleanup routine
HHCHD952I Module *Hercules cleanup complete
HHCHD959I HDL Termination sequence complete
HHCHD902I hdl_term complete
HHCHD901I Calling logger_term
HHCLG014I logger thread terminating
HHCHD902I logger_term complete
HHCHD909I Shutdown sequence complete
HHCIN904I All termination routines complete
HHCIN909I Hercules shutdown complete
HHCHD900I Begin shutdown sequence
HHCHD909I Shutdown sequence complete
Getting there
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Heyy.. great..
I've not had the privilege of working on those systems.. though i've read up on them..

Since we're in a retro mood.. how about looking at a port of an emulator for the sinclair zx81..?
think twobob should remember some.. a silent, black and white home computer of the 80s..
since our latest kindle is also a silent, black and white(ok.. shades of grey.. )..

see: http://www.zx81.nl/
full sources: http://www.zx81.nl/dload/emulators/unix/z81-0.2.tar.gz
one more: http://www.aptanet.org/eightyone/
Quote:
Z81 - a ZX81 emulator for VGA PCs running Linux
xz81 - a ZX81 emulator for X
Z81txt - a text-mode ZX81 emulator for the Linux console

Last edited by nasser; 08-20-2013 at 10:52 AM.
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Why? Because you can!

You guys are amazing

BTW I used to work on IBM/1401 and IBM/1130... The 360's and after are an ambitious project.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
twobob

I run the spectrum simulator atm on my home machine.
will look at that - I did already try it once before. Will revisit.

I'm secretly (okay no longer secretly) wheedling away on getting Windows 95 to boot also (since last night).

project rumbling along.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Heyy.. great..
I've not had the privilege of working on those systems.. though i've read up on them..

Since we're in a retro mood.. how about looking at a port of an emulator for the sinclair zx81..?
think twobob should remember some.. a silent, black and white home computer of the 80s..
since our latest kindle is also a silent, black and white(ok.. shades of grey.. )..

see: http://www.zx81.nl/
full sources: http://www.zx81.nl/dload/emulators/unix/z81-0.2.tar.gz
one more: http://www.aptanet.org/eightyone/
Well, since we both own multiple sets of Sinclair ZX81 devices, who needs an emulator?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
twobob

Heh.

Success

[root@kindle root]# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/us/extensions/hercules/lib/hercules:$LD
_LIBRARY_PATH /mnt/us/extensions/hercules/bin/hercules -f /mnt/us/extensions/hercules/hercules.cnf

Hercules Version 3.07
Code:
Build information:
  Debian
  Dynamic loading support
  Using shared libraries
  HTTP Server support
Running on kindle Linux-2.6.31-rt11-lab126.#1 Tue Jul 17 16:55:47 PDT 2012 armv7l UP
HHCHT001I HTTP listener thread started: tid=40B8F470, pid=5539
HHCCF066E Invalid HTTPROOT: "/usr/share/hercules/": No such file or directory
HHCCF065I Hercules: tid=4001D1F0, pid=5539, pgid=5539, priority=0
HHCRD010E Unable to access file "./util/zzsacard.bin": No such file or directory
HHCCF044E Initialization failed for device 000C
HHCTE001I Console connection thread started: tid=40B8F470, pid=5539
HHCTE003I Waiting for console connection on port 3270
HHCTT002I Timer thread started: tid=44DC9470, pid=5539, priority=-20
HHCCP002I CPU0000 thread started: tid=44CC9470, pid=5539, priority=15
HHCCP003I CPU0000 architecture mode ESA/390
HHCPN001I Control panel thread started: tid=4001D1F0, pid=5539

Automatic Operator support                                                   +
Running on kindle Linux-2.6.31-rt11-lab126.#1 Tue Jul 17 16:55:47 PDT 2012 armv7
HHCHT001I HTTP listener thread started: tid=40B8F470, pid=5539                  
HHCCF065I Hercules: tid=4001D1F0, pid=5539, pgid=5539, priority=0               
HHCRD010E Unable to access file "./util/zzsacard.bin": No such file or directory
HHCTE001I Console connection thread started: tid=40B8F470, pid=5539             
HHCTT002I Timer thread started: tid=44DC9470, pid=5539, priority=-20            
HHCCP002I CPU0000 thread started: tid=44CC9470, pid=5539, priority=15           
HHCPN001I Control panel thread started: tid=4001D1F0, pid=5539                  
HHCAO001I Hercules Automatic Operator thread started;                           
          tid=45158470, pri=0, pid=5539                                         
Command ==>

Now, since I have no idea what I am doing....

I'll package it up.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
twobob

Question...

Shall I dynamically create that /usr/share/hercules/ and loopmount to the FAT?

Oh and I got the

Quote:
Error fixed up... Whatever that was for.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Why? Because you can!

You guys are amazing

BTW I used to work on IBM/1401 and IBM/1130... The 360's and after are an ambitious project.
Well, a small installation looked like this:

Not only did they not include the swivel chair, unlike the Kindle, they didn't make available a padded, zipper case.

Last edited by knc1; 08-20-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Question...

Shall I dynamically create that /usr/share/hercules/ and loopmount to the FAT?

Oh and I got the

Error fixed up... Whatever that was for.
I am not sure of that one - than may be where the OS is supposed to live.

The "success dump" shows that the "mainframe firmware" is ready to accept an IPL (or other) command to load the OS.

Check the Herc site, faq section, with links to a lot of "HowTo" continue beyond the IPL (Initial Program Load) command prompt.

Geesh, where is Geekmaster when you need him?
( He needs IBM Cobol for his day job.)

Translation:
Box it and Ship it as-is.
It is ready for the addition of user's choice of OS package (see my dream-link above).

Last edited by knc1; 08-20-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

It looks like the:
Volker Bandke's Turnkey MVS iso image might be the easiest to try.
on page:
http://www.ibiblio.org/jmaynard/

Or, since the Kindle isn't going to be running multiple user, maybe the DOS/TOS OS set.
(I am really out of my depth here.)
Old 08-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
twobob

Yeah....

The config line:
HTTPROOT /mnt/us/extensions/hercules/share/hercules # HTTP root directory

refuses to be serviced... for whatever reason?

So... Ill package it. as-is. with a link to
http://www.ibiblio.org/jmaynard/turnkey-mvs-3.zip

as you kindly suggest.
And then move onto Win95

Quote:
[root@kindle hercules]# cd /mnt/us/extensions/hercules/; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/us/extensions/hercules/lib/hercules:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH /mnt/us/extensions/hercules/bin/hercules -f /mnt/us/extensions/hercules/hercules.cnf
Hercules Version 3.07
Build information:
Debian
Dynamic loading support
Using shared libraries
HTTP Server support
HHCHD018I Loadable module directory is /mnt/us/extensions/hercules/lib/hercules
HHCHT001I HTTP listener thread started: tid=40B8F470, pid=5557
HHCCF065I Hercules: tid=4001D1F0, pid=5557, pgid=5557, priority=0
HHCTE001I Console connection thread started: tid=40B8F470, pid=5557
HHCTT002I Timer thread started: tid=44DC9470, pid=5557, priority=-20
HHCCP002I CPU0000 thread started: tid=44CC9470, pid=5557, priority=15
HHCPN001I Control panel thread started: tid=4001D1F0, pid=5557

Regular Expressions support +
Running on kindle Linux-2.6.31-rt11-lab126.#1 Tue Jul 17 16:55:47 PDT 2012 armv7
HHCHD018I Loadable module directory is /mnt/us/extensions/hercules/lib/hercules
HHCHT001I HTTP listener thread started: tid=40B8F470, pid=5557
HHCCF065I Hercules: tid=4001D1F0, pid=5557, pgid=5557, priority=0
HHCTE001I Console connection thread started: tid=40B8F470, pid=5557
HHCTT002I Timer thread started: tid=44DC9470, pid=5557, priority=-20
HHCCP002I CPU0000 thread started: tid=44CC9470, pid=5557, priority=15
HHCPN001I Control panel thread started: tid=4001D1F0, pid=5557
HHCAO001I Hercules Automatic Operator thread started;
tid=45158470, pri=0, pid=5557
Command ==>
CPU0000 PSW=0000000000000000 24M....... instcount=0
But yeah. Works great. (I think)

When I package it up: Maybe add the OPTION to loopmount the "Invalid HTTPROOT:" to something sensible.? Or perhaps I'll just hardcode that.

the impact on the "Root" will be the creation of one innocuous folder.
Hardly devastating.

: )

Last edited by twobob; 08-20-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Tags
launcher add-ons