Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
Bobioden
Connoisseur
Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad rMini
Deleting star ratings

When I finish a book I usually add a star rating. If my sister wants the book I remove the star rating, use Polish Book and send it on to her. When she gets the book the star rating is still there.

How do I remove the star rating and get it to not show when I send a book on?

Thanks.
Bobioden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Bobioden
Connoisseur
Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I am using the lasted version of Calibre 1.39 on a Mac with OS X 10.9.3
Advert
Old 06-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobioden View Post
I am using the lasted version of Calibre 1.39 on a Mac with OS X 10.9.3
1)Move it to a separate Library (assumes YOU want to keep the Star in yours)
1b)Switch to that Library
2)Use bulk mode (metadata edit) Search and replace to set rating to 0 stars for all selected books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
When I finish a book I usually add a star rating. If my sister wants the book I remove the star rating, use Polish Book and send it on to her. When she gets the book the star rating is still there.

How do I remove the star rating and get it to not show when I send a book on?
Where is the star rating in the book?

How are you sending the book?

What format is the book?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
Bobioden
Connoisseur

The star rating is when I go to Edit metadata, and give it a rating of 0-5 stars.
The book I want to send, I change the rating back to 0 stars, and do a Polish Book. I delete the Original_epub and keep the new version.

That is the one I attach in an email, Mac mail, and send to to my sister, in epub format.

She receives the book, adds it to her Calibre, and my Star rating is still there. Located under the book in Cover Browser and there when she opens up Edit Metadata.
Advert
Old 06-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The star rating is when I go to Edit metadata, and give it a rating of 0-5 stars.
The book I want to send, I change the rating back to 0 stars, and do a Polish Book. I delete the Original_epub and keep the new version.

That is the one I attach in an email, Mac mail, and send to to my sister, in epub format.

She receives the book, adds it to her Calibre, and my Star rating is still there. Located under the book in Cover Browser and there when she opens up Edit Metadata.
@Bobioden - When you do the Polish it updates all the metadata in the EPUB including rating.

Rating is not one of the Dublin Core metadata elements. The Modify Plug-in can remove non dc elements [GUI Plugin] Modify ePub Plug In

Most of the things available in Polish are also available in Modify

If you want the rating in your copy of the EPUB, run Polish again.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-01-2014 at 11:35 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
Bobioden
Connoisseur

I used to use Modify Epub all the time. But then read that Polish Book did the same thing. Thanks, I will go back to Modify Epub.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
There is no need to run Polish or Modify Epub on the book. I believe that if you had used calibre to email the book all of the metadata would have been updated. The email feature can be found under Connect/share.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:18 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You should be able to use a plugboard to automatically reset the rating to "0" whenever you send the book through the GUI. Send-to-device, save-to-disk, email, whatever.

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-02-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:42 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I used to use Modify Epub all the time. But then read that Polish Book did the same thing. Thanks, I will go back to Modify Epub.
@Bobioden - First my understanding of your requirement
  • You want to use your regular email client to send an epub to your sister.
  • You do NOT want to share your rating with your sister and/or you sister would prefer not to see your rating - perhaps she uses the presence of a rating to indicate she has finished reading the book.
If my understanding is wrong - then read no further

Even though Rating is a prepackaged column within the context of calibre, it is not written to the epub as a Dublin Core metadata element, because rating is not one of the 15 basic elements. See Dublin Core - Wikipedia and beyond if you want to probe deeper; matchsticks recommended for the propping of eyes wide open

The following attachments show
  • the metadata for a Book via the Edit Metadata screen
  • the settings I used in Polish Book
  • the metadata embedded in the book after Polish Book
  • the settings i used in Modify Book
  • the metadata embedded in the book after Modify Book

You may be able to use a plugboard to achieve the same results and use calibres email facility, but I cant tell you how to do that.

What I have outlined is how a number of colleagues and myself have been sharing epubs via regular email on a daily basis for nearly 3 years. We don't use calbre's email facility because we exchange data other than ebooks - spreadsheets, audio/video interviews, lecture notes, photographs of pets and happy birthday wishes etc. We avoid sharing metadata other than the dc:elements because we ran into ereader hiccups when we did, some of my colleagues don't use calibre and those that do want to manage their calibre libraries in their own way.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture!.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	123594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture0.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	123595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	123596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	123597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	123598  

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-02-2014 at 06:22 AM. Reason: grammar
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
Bobioden
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Bobioden - First my understanding of your requirement
  • You want to use your regular email client to send an epub to your sister.
  • You do NOT want to share your rating with your sister and/or you sister would prefer not to see your rating - perhaps she uses the presence of a rating to indicate she has finished reading the book.
If my understanding is wrong - then read no further

BR
You are correct in your understanding.
The setting in Modify epub, when I check, remove non dc: metadata elements seems to have done the trick.

When I need to just send a book with no Star Rating the Polish Book works fine, but if I had added a rating and want it removed before sending, I will do the Modify epub.

Thanks all for your responses.