Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #16321
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: Guardian of Night by Tony Daniel. One from the March Baen Bundle. It's started off well.
And it went on that way. An enjoyable alien invasion space opera/mil sf.

Next up: House of Steel by David Weber.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #16322
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Meanwhile, I'll still slogging through The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky. I'm enjoying the story and I'm taking notes as I go, but my pure reading time is a little less lately, so it's a pretty slow process.
I did read that. It was a hassle. It's heavy and dull and just feels old.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #16323
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
The paperback is 1104! Of course that's not very unusual for Hamilton.
So who has the largest output? Is is Robert Jordan, Stephen King, Diana Gabaldon or Peter F. Hamilton?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #16324
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did read that. It was a hassle. It's heavy and dull and just feels old.
A totally surprising assessment from you Jon.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #16325
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
A totally surprising assessment from you Jon.
It's a good book for kids in school to read if you want to get kids to not be reading.

There are a lot more good modern books where the kids can relate to. Why have them read these old books that they won't relate to?
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #16326
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's a good book for kids in school to read if you want to get kids to not be reading.

There are a lot more good modern books where the kids can relate to. Why have them read these old books that they won't relate to?
I take it you read this in school then? I didn't, but I did study Crime and Punishment in school and loved that novel. However it was only selected reading for those who had chosen English Literature as a subject for final year. I can't imagine it being chosen for general English studies.

I'm glad to have finally come back to Dostoyevsky after all these years. About 80% through now and I still can't stop taking notes on my Kindle. I'll have a lot of quotes to pour through after I've finished to increase my understanding of the author's literary soul searching. I was thinking that this story would either cement my appreciation of this author or destroy it. I'm happy that it's the former.

Still - it's been a bit of a journey.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:13 AM   #16327
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And it went on that way. An enjoyable alien invasion space opera/mil sf.

Next up: House of Steel by David Weber.
Yup, I enjoyed it quite a bit. A pleasant surprise, read only because it was part of the monthly bundle.

And I'm now about 2/3rds of the way through House of Steel.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #16328
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
So who has the largest output? Is is Robert Jordan, Stephen King, Diana Gabaldon or Peter F. Hamilton?
Not sure. Based on number of pages I'd think Jordan and Hamilton would be on par.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #16329
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I started reading Hawk Quest by Robert Lyndon. I picked it up at Amazon UK for £4.49. That is almost half the price of Amazon US, which wants $11.04. I have just started it and am enjoying it a lot.
http://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Quest-Rob.../dp/1847444970
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #16330
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Echoes of Honor on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	echos.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	104632  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #16331
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I'm glad to have finally come back to Dostoyevsky after all these years.
You mean you didn't read The Eternal Husband after nominating it for the Lit Club last year?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #16332
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You mean you didn't read The Eternal Husband after nominating it for the Lit Club last year?
Hahaha - yes I did. I decided not to count it in my estimation given that it wasn't one of his more famous novels. I enjoyed The Eternal Husband as a study of the male psyche if you remember...or are you just teasing me.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #16333
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
SO, I Started _Marsbound_ by Haldeman
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #16334
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Decided to read SPQR by John Maddox Roberts next. I got my Latin dictionary ready. Should be fun
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #16335
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
After last week, I had to abandon 1Q84 for The Double Comfort Safari Club.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote