Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
RainIntoRainbows
RainIntoRainbows began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini, NOOK Color, NOOK Classic, Kobo WiFi
Unhappy Kobo WiFi not being detected by Windows 7 64-bit

I've read about others having this issue but no solution. I'm relatively computer savvy & have tried various functional USB ports, USB cords, etc. to no avail. The Kobo does work properly because my husband's Windows 7 32-bit machine detects it with no issues.

Any ideas for me? I detect nothing amiss in Device Manager.
RainIntoRainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
RainIntoRainbows

Oops, meant to add that Calibre does not detect the Kobo either, although it detects both my NOOK Color & my NOOK Classic with no issues.
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Do you even see a device appear in Device Manager? When I plug my WiFi in after I select the "Manage Library" option I see a new disk drive appear "Kobo eReader USB Device"
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
RainIntoRainbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Do you even see a device appear in Device Manager? When I plug my WiFi in after I select the "Manage Library" option I see a new disk drive appear "Kobo eReader USB Device"
Nope -- nada. It changes over to say "Connected -- YOUR EREADER IS CHARGING" but that's it. Nothing pops up on my computer, and I have it set to auto-detect. Odd, huh?
Old 07-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any errors in EventViewer?

No sign of any devices missing a driver (yellow question marks in Device Manager) ?

Have you installed Kobo Desktop on your machine (you can get it from http://www.kobobooks.com/desktop ).
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
RainIntoRainbows

Quote:
Any errors in EventViewer?
Actually, yes, first I've seen of it. It's a DHCP error, though, which wouldn't be related, would it?

Quote:
No sign of any devices missing a driver (yellow question marks in Device Manager) ?
None.

Quote:
Have you installed Kobo Desktop on your machine (you can get it from http://www.kobobooks.com/desktop ).
Yes.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
It's not much help as I can't suggest anything more than what PeterT has but my old Kobo Wifi (I now have a KT) and my wife's Kobo Wifi work perfectly fine with Win7 x64. I would certainly re-install the Kobo Desktop software, really sounds like the driver for your K2 didn't install properly.

Things to try when installing, run the setup program as Admin, turn UAC off (temporarily) if you haven't already turned it off.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

The DHCP error should have nothing at all to do with the Kobo WiFi.

Any chance you have any programs installed (security for instance) that might be stopping the installation of a USB storage device?

Do you have any other USB devices you could plug in and make sure they are recognized?

(And remember... that until it is seen as a disk by Windows, neither Calibre or Kobo Desktop will see it.)
Old 07-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Things to try when installing, run the setup program as Admin, turn UAC off (temporarily) if you haven't already turned it off.
Not sure I'd agree with that at all. I have always run with UAC on under Windows 7 (64 bit) and have had no issues at all.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Not sure I'd agree with that at all. I have always run with UAC on under Windows 7 (64 bit) and have had no issues at all.
Yeah I wasn't sure if that would affect it or not. Just thinking of things off the top of my head that might interfere.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
RainIntoRainbows

Thanks, all! While not resolved, I ended up just sideloading books onto an SD card and it's fine for me, since this Kobo is just for pool/beach reading & not my main reader.