Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 09-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
stualden
stualden began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Gen 3
Question Wall Street Journal (WSJ) recipe - "stuck on 9/5"

I noticed a peculiar problem with the WSJ (paid) EPUB downloads. The cover page (the image at the beginning of the file) is the 9/5/2018 front page, for all editions (so far) from 9/5/2018 onward. The rest of the content in the EPUB is correct.

Is this something that could be fixed with a modification in the recipe? As of today, all my editions before 9/5 have been removed from my library, so I will see if the problem goes away when the actual 9/5 edition is removed tomorrow.

Thanks,

--Stu
stualden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Presumably the URL the recipe uses to download the ocver no longer works. If you can find an updated URL that resolves to the current cover, I'll be happy to update the recipe.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:35 AM   #3
stualden

Thank you - now I understand. I see the URL, and I'll try to figure out if they've changed the naming convention. More likely (I'm guessing), someone has been on vacation since 9/5 and it will suddenly get fixed once they're back...
Old 09-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No problem, hopefully you are correct about the vacation
Old 09-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #5
stualden

Looks like I was wrong - or perhaps the person is taking a long leave of absence?! But I did find another link which appears to provide a fairly high-quality PDF front page. The format is

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...1-YYYYMMDD.pdf

So, for example, today's cover is

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...1-20180917.pdf

I'll bet this file is substantially bigger than the old, and (unfortunately) the name needs updating each day, but at least it is a much sharper image than the old jpeg. Would you still be able to fit it into the ebook?

For your reference, the old URL is

https://vir.wsj.net/fp/cdn/fp/assets/images/WSJ_A1.jpg

As you'll see, it's stuck on the 9/5/2018 edition. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This should take care of it:

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...5c2f1241899784
Old 09-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
bobbysteel
Big Poppa
bobbysteel began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Kovid - I'd probably choose the Newseum image versus the Kiosko.
http://cdn.newseum.org/dfp/jpg17/lg/WSJ.jpg
That should update daily automatically.
bobbysteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Feel free to send a PR, the recipe already had kiosko asa fallback, so I ddin't change it.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #9
stualden

FWIW, the Kiosko link seems to work, and you've fixed the problem - thank you so much!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #10
bobbysteel
Big Poppa
bobbysteel began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
i checked the past few days and kiosko is more reliable than their own site. hah. so will leave as is.
bobbysteel is offline   Reply With Quote