Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Disney has a new ebook subscription plan

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/29/bu...3&ref=business
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Interesting! I've been wondering how anyone was going to attempt to do children's books in eformat. In my opinion, none of the ereaders are conducive to this. Children's books are usually graphic heavy, and the lack of color and small screen size of ereaders mean it's not a good substitute.

Using a laptop/desktop would work well for this if you want to read with your child, or let the child read (or be read to) on his/her own. I'm fairly impressed by the video demo on Disney's page. Not sure it's worth $80/year though. I guess that's the equivalent of purchasing a pbook every other month (last time I bought a kid's book it was about $12), but I tend to rely on the local library for that sort of thing.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I've actually been reading "The Chronicles of Narnia" to my 6 year old a little each night (approximately a chapter at a time), on my iLiad. It's gone over pretty well. I obviously won't let her handle/play with the device, but she's been happy just listening and does a pretty good job of paying attention. She likes the small pictures that are thrown in every couple of pages, even though they're not color. My 4 year old, on the other hand, does have some attention problems, but he likes to come over every time there's a picture and take a peek. I think he's a little young yet for concentrating on a story that long.

IMO, spending time reading a story with her parents is probably more important to her than whether it's in color or has video.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote