Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
macshanemike
macshanemike began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Puzzle Books

Hi All

Does anyone know where to get good Puzzle books?

I have a Kobo Aura One and want a few good puzzle books until they either give in and add puzzles on the E reader or add better books to the store
macshanemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Stuff like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Puzz...e+books+kindle

I searched for "puzzle book kindle" at Amazon.com.
Perhaps a similar search on Kobo or other epub site might help.
(You won't find this exact one, though.)

If not... well, CALIBRE can convert most (but not all) Kindle ebooks to epub.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
What do you mean by "puzzle book"? To me, that would be a book full of crosswords and acrostics and similar pencil puzzles.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Searching "puzzle books" on Google Play Books resulted in The Cat in the Hat, Alice in Wonderland, and no books of puzzles. Puzzling.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
What do you mean by "puzzle book"? To me, that would be a book full of crosswords and acrostics and similar pencil puzzles.
Riddles and logic puzzles count.
Check the one linked above. Might even try the sample.

Or, this:
http://www.newser.com/story/253686/t...ch-deeper.html

Or these:

https://www.riddles.com

There's plenty of casual games and apps in the field, too.

Some are text, some are graphical.

It's one area where interactive ebooks could thrive.

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-27-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Advert
Old 06-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Amazon used to offer Active Content...interactive games that could be used on an e-ink Kindle. They were dropped as the models improved. There were several. Like word games, and there was a solitaire game that was ok. I believed they were dropped with the 3rd gen Paperwhite, as I remember using them on my gen 2 Paperwhite.

I did like Thread Words, and have never been able to find any word game like it, on iOS or android.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Amazon used to offer Active Content...interactive games that could be used on an e-ink Kindle. They were dropped as the models improved. There were several. Like word games, and there was a solitaire game that was ok. I believed they were dropped with the 3rd gen Paperwhite, as I remember using them on my gen 2 Paperwhite.

I did like Thread Words, and have never been able to find any word game like it, on iOS or android.
Some people miss them.
Many don't.

https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...ps-on-kindles/
Old 06-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
macshanemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Stuff like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Puzz...e+books+kindle

I searched for "puzzle book kindle" at Amazon.com.
Perhaps a similar search on Kobo or other epub site might help.
(You won't find this exact one, though.)

If not... well, CALIBRE can convert most (but not all) Kindle ebooks to epub.
This is the idea of what I am trying to find but it's very hard to get something for an e reader. It is rather stupid that publishers of puzzle books don't add books for e readers for us to enjoy, there is a market there just need them to catch up

These guys are huge:
https://www.puzzler.com

If we could those kinds of puzzles on e readers we would be happy
Old 06-28-2018, 07:48 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
You might want to look for ebooks by Martin Gardner. He wrote a lot of books of really delicious puzzles back in his day. There are a number of these available for the Kindle.

Even better, in my rarely humble opinion, were H E Dudeney's books. Unfortunately I didn't find any e versions of those but they're all available as paperbacks. His puzzles are more interactive than Gardners and for those of you with a computer programming bent, a lot of them are best solved with programs. I've had hours and hours of fun based on his puzzles and learned a lot.

As I recall these guys were the puzzlers in Scientific American, Gardner first and then Dudeney, after Gardner died. But that's from memory and I'm not 100% sure I recall it correctly. I was never really a reader of that magazine (or any other) except occasionally.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macshanemike View Post
This is the idea of what I am trying to find but it's very hard to get something for an e reader. It is rather stupid that publishers of puzzle books don't add books for e readers for us to enjoy, there is a market there just need them to catch up

These guys are huge:
https://www.puzzler.com

If we could those kinds of puzzles on e readers we would be happy
But they wouldn't be interactive. You could see them, but not fill them in. What would be the point?

Amazon did have "apps" called Active Content, on their early readers. They dropped support some years ago.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #11
jselby
Zealot
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage | Samsug GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Even better, in my rarely humble opinion, were H E Dudeney's books. Unfortunately I didn't find any e versions of those but they're all available as paperbacks.
I located this one:

536 Puzzles and Curious Problems
https://smile.amazon.com/Puzzles-Cur.../dp/B074G9ZG62
jselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:29 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Amazon does have apps for puzzles. One I play is WBCW (World's Biggest Cross Word). You can find it here.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:05 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Amazon does have apps for puzzles. One I play is WBCW (World's Biggest Cross Word). You can find it here.
That's not going to work on an Aura One, though.

To the OP: Do you have a tablet or phone? E-ink readers are generally geared toward text reading. Where interactive games are possible, the processing is generally slow, because they're also geared for very long battery life.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jselby View Post
I located this one:

536 Puzzles and Curious Problems
https://smile.amazon.com/Puzzles-Cur.../dp/B074G9ZG62
It's not interactive according to reviews.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #15
macshanemike

When it comes to being interactive it does not need to be fast just something to do. If you want to be fast then yeah use a phone or tablet. I like to the puzzles when I am going to bed or for something to do. Also is handy if you travel as an e reader is lighter than a book and often a tablet or phone can be distracting when you want to relax