Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Calibre Conversion - Same Formating, Different Header Classification

I have two Word files, identical stylesheet and formating. Calibre converts one heading to <h5 class="calibre7"> and the other <h5 class="calibre6">

Problem is when I use my master Sytlesheet in Sigil and apply it to the two ePubs, I now get different results. <h5 class="calibre7"> comes out bold; <h5 class="calibre6"> does not.

I desire Calibre to use <h5 class="calibre6"> for those headings and I would think it would since it the exact same formatting and the Word styles are exactly the same used in each Word file. The second Word file was the same as the first until I deleted the first month's writing to begin the second. Trying to keep the Word files from being too big, so I am breaking them up by month.

Took me awhile to figure out what was happening. I am hoping I don't have to edit in Sigil each styesheet depending on what Calibre does with the file.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themus View Post
I have two Word files, identical stylesheet and formating. Calibre converts one heading to <h5 class="calibre7"> and the other <h5 class="calibre6">

Problem is when I use my master Sytlesheet in Sigil and apply it to the two ePubs, I now get different results. <h5 class="calibre7"> comes out bold; <h5 class="calibre6"> does not.

I desire Calibre to use <h5 class="calibre6"> for those headings and I would think it would since it the exact same formatting and the Word styles are exactly the same used in each Word file. The second Word file was the same as the first until I deleted the first month's writing to begin the second. Trying to keep the Word files from being too big, so I am breaking them up by month.

Took me awhile to figure out what was happening. I am hoping I don't have to edit in Sigil each styesheet depending on what Calibre does with the file.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Calibre will do what is needed to convert the document.

There is no guarantee the same (calibre#) styles will be used for different documents.
You can't always use a 'master' sheet.

In your case, use Sigil to S&R the errant style code to be uniform (if that is the goal)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Thank you for your response.

Alas this is a problem. When my original Word file is converted in Calibre, I get different results. First time that file may have a paragraph as Calibre6; bring it back in later and now that same paragraph is Calibre7. So making this work in Sigil is difficult to pin down.

I am sure there is logic to this, but I am not sure why it cannot be consistent when the variables are exactly the same. Given time maybe I'll figure this out.

Thanks again for your insights.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for your response.

Alas this is a problem. When my original Word file is converted in Calibre, I get different results. First time that file may have a paragraph as Calibre6; bring it back in later and now that same paragraph is Calibre7. So making this work in Sigil is difficult to pin down.

I am sure there is logic to this, but I am not sure why it cannot be consistent when the variables are exactly the same. Given time maybe I'll figure this out.

Thanks again for your insights.
You probably changed a style or a new attribute in the document. Calibre assigns numbers as it needs them.

Why can't you make the changes in Sigil (and never go back to word)?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Themus
Zealot

I am pretty sure I haven't made a style change in the same file, but I did spend an extended period of time in Sigil and have a better idea what changes I have to make to adjust to the Calibre variations in code. The reason I've kept going back into Word is that I am reading in Aldiko what I write, but I am writing as I go month by month. So as I make significant additions, I re-import it into Calbire, convert it again, and bring it back into aldiko. That way I can verify the changes as I re-read what I wrote and formated.
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I can't address your work flow style... What works
Why not just add a new chapter to the existing Sigil book? Each chapter can (not really desirable from a style-edit point of view) have it's own stylesheet. If they match.. re-link to the first used sheet and delete the 'extra'
Old 11-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Themus
Zealot

Two steps forward, now three back. Would you have idea why in Sigil, where I import a stylesheet and then adjust it to make for example, Calibre6 bold and Calibre7 normal when it was originally the opposite, why it works sometimes and other times it doesn't. Seems if I keep "jingling" around in the stylesheet it eventually applies the changes. But if I go back and do it again from scratch just to verify it works, it doesn't ... until I keep trying to change them back and forth.

It's almost like Sigil doesn't know when to apply the style changes to the text until it feels like it. It is really odd. It won't be right and then suddenly it will be right.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Themus
Zealot

I think I have it. Opening Sigil thru Calibre may have some affect. All I know is if I quit Sigil, and go back into Calibre, it comes out fine when transported over to my device.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Lightbulb

Quote:
I think I have it. Opening Sigil thru Calibre may have some affect. All I know is if I quit Sigil, and go back into Calibre, it comes out fine when transported over to my device.
Do you have the file open in calibre and Sigil at the same time?
Neither applies a 'file lock', thus changes not being applied.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Themus
Zealot

I believe I sorta did. I had Calibre open, opened file location of ePub, and then from there made the changes in Sigil. I have sort of too taken "theducks" advice and gone back to making one long Word document. It keeps me from having to edit multiple stylesheets in Sigil. There are 365 chapters so as long as Word 2010 doesn't pass out, I'll be ok.

Thanks for all your help.