Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Cybook
Kobos terms of service

Here's something I found at the end of their terms of service:
"With respect to Registered Users who utilize a Kobo eReader device, Kobo reserves the right to display advertisements and offers on your device. These advertisements and offers may be displayed when the device is powered off or in sleep mode, at the bottom of the home screen, as a screensaver, or through other areas in the user interface as Kobo may choose.

Kobo reserves the right to alter the software of any Kobo eReader device, including enhancements, bug fixes, etc., at any time and in Kobo's sole discretion."

Does the Kobo show ads when powered off? If not it looks like they have the right to update the firmware to do that.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
No, most of them don't. There is a Kobo Touch version with "special offers" concept sold only in the U.S. that does have and I suspect this is in the T.O.S. to cover that. There would be a rather huge revolt/lawsuits if they ever tried to add it to any of the other firmware updates, so I wouldn't be too worried about that happening.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
No, most of them don't. There is a Kobo Touch version with "special offers" concept sold only in the U.S. that does have and I suspect this is in the T.O.S. to cover that.
Also covers the advertisements at the bottom of the screen - euphemistically called "recommendations".
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Also covers the advertisements at the bottom of the screen - euphemistically called "recommendations".
Do you have to keep doing this?

The bar can be turned into a list of the books in your library, they aren't forcing book recommendations on you.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Do you have to keep doing this?

The bar can be turned into a list of the books in your library, they aren't forcing book recommendations on you.
I have the US KT with ads and yes they show up when the device is powered off.

I also see the recommendations at the bottom of the screen when I power up along with the books I am reading displayed above them.

So I would liketo know how to change those recommendations into a list of my library books if this is possible as you say.

Thanks for reading.
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
missjane
missjane began at the beginning.

Device: (kobo touch) (kobo glo) kobo aura 2nd ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonDan1 View Post
So I would liketo know how to change those recommendations into a list of my library books if this is possible as you say.
On my kobo touch, on the home screen, touch and hold on the words 'recommended for you' and a pop up box appears giving me four options of what to display here: Recommended for you, Featured, New Releases, Shortlist. Choose 'Shortlist' and you will see any books in your library which you have heart-ed. If you have heart-ed none, you see a line of empty book icons.

Hope this helps.
missjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
No, most of them don't. There is a Kobo Touch version with "special offers" concept sold only in the U.S. that does have and I suspect this is in the T.O.S. to cover that. There would be a rather huge revolt/lawsuits if they ever tried to add it to any of the other firmware updates, so I wouldn't be too worried about that happening.
That's probably true. Still, I wouldn't want to own a device with such term.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
That's probably true. Still, I wouldn't want to own a device with such term.
That's a fair comment, but most terms of service have weasel words that allow them to changes the terms of service, even if it's not there now, so I think you're likely relying on public pressure to avoid it being added retroactively any way you look at it.

Last edited by robko; 04-22-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Wow, thanks for the recommendations alternative.
Was tired of looking at them.

Note: If you have purchased a recommendation, and it's still under recommended, it links to the purchased book.

But, I still wonder how I managed to buy the same book twice!?!
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald07 View Post
But, I still wonder how I managed to buy the same book twice!?!
Perhaps different editions? I've seen the same book from two different publishers several times. I have a horrible feeling that I will likely follow in your footsteps one day for just that reason.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
Perhaps different editions? I've seen the same book from two different publishers several times. I have a horrible feeling that I will likely follow in your footsteps one day for just that reason.
I agree, I've seen a few editions @ different price points!

But, it turns out it was exactly the same?
I was told, it was listed @ 0.99c @ X-mas, then pulled by the publisher,
and THEN relisted @ a HIGHER price? AND I bought it AGAIN @ $2.99
I think the issue was a diferrent ISBN#?
I was assured this is a VERY rare incident, Sqdancer, so I hope you don't have to go thru the frustration.
Or it happens on a free book!

Oh well. I finally rec'd a store credit. Prolly wouldn't have happened if it wouldn't have still been on my reccomended list!
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote