Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-08-2022, 02:19 AM   #1
abrogard
Zealot
abrogard began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How Best Get My DRM Out !

I blundered and did an update and broke my dedrm.
Before I knew it I had imported over 300 Kindles including an unknown number of DRM'd.
Now I've got dedrm installed again and I'm apparently looking at deleting all those DRM'd and reinstalling.
Well that's going to be hard.
How'm I going to know which is which?
And how do I do a 'select and bulk remove' thing?
Is there an optimised work routine for this task?
abrogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:41 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
I blundered and did an update and broke my dedrm.
Before I knew it I had imported over 300 Kindles including an unknown number of DRM'd.
Now I've got dedrm installed again and I'm apparently looking at deleting all those DRM'd and reinstalling.
Well that's going to be hard.
How'm I going to know which is which?
And how do I do a 'select and bulk remove' thing?
Is there an optimised work routine for this task?
Easy.
  1. Create a new library based on your current library.
  2. Go into your existing library and search for all of your eBooks by file extension.
  3. Drag/drop all of those files to the new library

If you have any edited metadata, you'll need to copy the Metadata.opf files from the old library to the new library. Once that's done, you can do a rebuild of the library to read the new data.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2022, 04:55 AM   #3
abrogard
Zealot

okay. 'based on current library' ? does that mean something to do with user configuration? just copying a library configuration rather than copying the whole library, is that it?

if so I can just create a blank new library. There's no user configuration at all in my existing libraries.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:57 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
okay. 'based on current library' ? does that mean something to do with user configuration? just copying a library configuration rather than copying the whole library, is that it?

if so I can just create a blank new library. There's no user configuration at all in my existing libraries.
When you are in your existing library and you go to create a new library, you will get the option to create the new library based on the format of the old libarry.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:30 PM   #5
abrogard
Zealot

How do I drag/drop to the new library?
I just created the new empty library.
went back to my main library
I searched on MOBI and got a thousand hits.
Now how to move them to this new library
Advert
Old 02-09-2022, 04:16 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
How do I drag/drop to the new library?
I just created the new empty library.
went back to my main library
I searched on MOBI and got a thousand hits.
Now how to move them to this new library
If you are using Windows, just use Windows explorer to search for *.azw, *.azw3, and *.epub. For each set of files, select them all and just drag/drop to the new library.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:41 AM   #7
abrogard
Zealot

You've lost me. I thought I knew what I was doing. But searching in windows explorer? That's not what I was doing.

I searched in Calibre on MOBI. Then I posted here - what to do? - then I experimented and found I could select all those files in Calibre and just drag and drop them out of Calibre into a folder in Explorer that I created for that.

That's where I'm at now.

Sounds like the wrong place.

I should be searching in Explorer? Where? In the Calibre library folder? And drag them away from there?
Old 02-09-2022, 11:47 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
DRM removal tools ONLY work when adding to a Library. Never on the Library contents (Borrowed books should never have DRM removed).

The instruction (and we are very close to breaking MR rules) is why you need to do it that way
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:17 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Yes you should be searching in the Calibre library directory. In search (upper right), search for name: *.azw3, name: *.azw, name: *.epub, and name: *.pdf and after each search if you have any results, you can drag/drop to the new library.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:34 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Please ignore JSWolf's weird and incorrect advice. There's no need to abandon your old library.

Just remove the DRMed format (usually will be "AZW" format), and re-import the book into the calibre entry for the book. There's no need to delete the entire record.

As for finding them, you should be able to sort your library by import date, and so find the books that were imported when the DRM removal was broken.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:00 PM   #11
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quality Check plugin has option to scan for DRM'd books, but I don't know if it's only for ePub or not.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:19 PM   #12
abrogard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Please ignore JSWolf's weird and incorrect advice. There's no need to abandon your old library.

Just remove the DRMed format (usually will be "AZW" format), and re-import the book into the calibre entry for the book. There's no need to delete the entire record.

As for finding them, you should be able to sort your library by import date, and so find the books that were imported when the DRM removal was broken.
that sounds like a good option. as soon as I can I'll give it a try.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:23 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Quality Check plugin has option to scan for DRM'd books, but I don't know if it's only for ePub or not.
ePub only.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:24 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Doing it the way I described will give you a library with all of the eBooks instead of two libraries neither complete.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:52 AM   #15
abrogard
Zealot

I'm going to try both. Have done neither yet. Currently involved in too many hassles... the book thing is pleasurable downtime for me, when I get some...
(not to crack on too hard, I'm not that busy, but you know... you turn to your pleasures when the mood etc. is right... when there seems to be a lull.... )

Tags
dedrm, remove