Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-07-2022, 04:22 AM   #31
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The problem is Tapatalk, but it’s readily resolved by attaching all images. Not by continuing to do what wasn’t working.
Is attaching something Tapatalk allows? I suppose I've always embedded and didn't know there was a difference. I haven't continued doing what wasn't working. You may noticed that I haven't posted in here since you moved the thread. I wasn't sure how to proceed, and just wandered away. I'll look into attaching photos since Tapatalk's smallest size still violates the TOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Why differentiate between what is read on Kobos and what is read on other devices? There was a time here of Jukes and Kallikaks; let’s not revisit. In any case, I repeat: posts about books belong in this forum. Making posts about books somehow about the device seems bizarre to me, but I’ll change the header. And don’t start over; thanks.
Good question! The reason to differentiate was to promote fan love for Kobo devices, not foment contention.

I'm not familiar with the Jukes and Kallikaks reference (I'll have to look that one up later), but my intention was to encourage artistic shots of Kobos being read in the wild with bookcovers or such on the screen. I hadn't intended for it to be a parade of book covers, which is very device agnostic. I own a Kindle, too. I just thought it would be fun to see photos of people's Kobo eReaders.

Thanks for fixing the thread header!

Last edited by Cootey; 05-07-2022 at 04:26 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:56 PM   #32
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In a manga mood with my Elipsa today. Here’s “When Will Ayumu Make His Move?” It’s about a kid who won’t ask out his upperclassman until he beats her at shogi (a game like chess). Unfortunately for him, she’s much better at it than he is. Click image for larger version

Name:	HipstamaticPhoto-673660187.388849.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	193706

Also, testing attaching photos via Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Advert
Old 05-07-2022, 07:58 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This one is for @Sirtel - what better way to celebrate starting a new (for me) series than with a "safe" screenshot
What is a safe screenshot?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 09:08 PM   #34
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is a safe screenshot?
It is using protection.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:57 AM   #35
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This one is for @Sirtel - what better way to celebrate starting a new (for me) series than with a "safe" screenshot

I like that logo. But that file name! It’s looking a little exposed.

Advert
Old 05-08-2022, 10:46 PM   #36
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post

I'm not familiar with the Jukes and Kallikaks reference (I'll have to look that one up later)
I was also unaware of this reference and looked it up. Apparently it’s to do with case studies in genetics in the last bit of the 19th century. I won’t go into particulars here save to say one was determining criminality the other was focused on things that would fall under what we call neurodivergence today and if these traits were genetic or (I believe) sociological in nature. The studies themselves were probably fairly harmless though they would be used later in history for all sorts of horrors.

I don’t really see the connection to posting a thread like this in a specific device forum. Note I am not questioning the mod decision nor do I mean to talk about it. I simply don’t understand how the two are connected but perhaps you have to have both known the reference without Googling and been here when whatever event alluded to was happening to appreciate the comments.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:52 PM   #37
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

I’ve decided to stop buying manga until I’ve read what I’ve already bought! I’ll start with my Kobo collection since there are only a handful left unread (not including all the Humble Bundle collections which can be read on anything.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2309.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	193903

This is Kakushigoto volume 2, a satirical manga about the manga industry and fatherhood. This volume was brilliant. ★★★★★
Perfect to read on my Kobo Elipsa on an unusually cold May evening. (It even snowed today. So much for Spring!)

Last edited by Cootey; 05-20-2022 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:52 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Your Kobo in front of a fire is making me nervous!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:46 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Melted Plastic
Melanie Martinez

Such a Mary Sue
With her sparkly eyes so blue
She doesn't understand what I would do...
She's a real daydream
Her eyes so bright like a moonbeam
Oh, I could just scream!

Mommy, mommy
I made a, ooey gooey mess
I stuck Barbie in the oven
Now her hair's stuck to her dress

She's just melted plastic
She's so elastic
She's such a bore but thinks she's so fantastic
Oh, oh, oh, oh, ay
Don't be so drastic
She's such a whore but acts so dynastic
Meltеd plastic, melted plastic
Such a being of pеrfection
She don't deserve your affection
She'll just add you to her collection...
She's always without you gettin' real high
I don't know how you let her get by
Oh, I could just die!

Mommy, mommy

She's just a faker
Why'd you even take her?
She's just a faker
Soon, I'm gonna take her

She's so elastic
Oh, oh, oh, oh, ay
Don't be so drastic
Melted plastic, melted plastic
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:54 PM   #40
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I don't have a photo but Kobo has a nice photo on their site. I enjoyed this and looking forward to more from this author and this genre.

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/onc...illman-western
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:43 PM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I don't have a photo but Kobo has a nice photo on their site. I enjoyed this and looking forward to more from this author and this genre.

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/onc...illman-western
Hey, I like Peter Brandvold quite a bit. He also wrote under the pen name Frank Leslie, though I think those are now being republished under his name.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:18 AM   #42
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Melted Plastic
Melanie Martinez

Such a Mary Sue
With her sparkly eyes so blue
She doesn't understand what I would do...
She's a real daydream
Her eyes so bright like a moonbeam
Oh, I could just scream!

Mommy, mommy

She's so elastic
Oh, oh, oh, oh, ay
Don't be so drastic
Meltеd plastic, melted plastic
Such a being of pеrfection
She don't deserve your affection
She'll just add you to her collection...
She's always without you gettin' real high
I don't know how you let her get by
Oh, I could just die!

Mommy, mommy

She's just a faker
Why'd you even take her?
She's just a faker
Soon, I'm gonna take her

She's so elastic
Oh, oh, oh, oh, ay
Don't be so drastic
Melted plastic, melted plastic
First time I see you mocking a Kobo.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:44 PM   #43
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hahaha! It was just a photo op. Gaslit fire. Glass pane. Soon I was comfortably curled up reading it instead of putting its toes to the fire.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:27 PM   #44
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
This is my current read. I enjoyed the first one, and am liking this second one so far. I tried the first 2-3 of his "bones" series, but couldn't warm to the protagonist. This one feels less Neanderthal, and I'm loving the info on art history and restoration.

Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:52 AM   #45
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

What are you reading on your Kobo? Share a photo!

Last night’s mood. The ghost stories are hilarious, which is probably NOT what the author was going for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13E0E555-7D9D-4E8C-97F4-2959C3913F7B.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	194211

Last edited by Cootey; 06-08-2022 at 03:47 AM.