Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-05-2022, 12:46 PM   #16
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Richard Kadrey and his Sandman Slim books had the same vibe for me as well (though not London-based). I only read the first few, though. So I have no idea what direction they may have gone.
Another good series. For me it peaked with the adventures in hell and has been good, but not great since then.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:15 PM   #17
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I agree that the previous one was a dud. But this seems like the usual problem for me where a series just doesn't maintain its enjoyment factor, although this one has been somewhat better than many others.

I've gotten to the point where I'll read the first book of a series and not worry about whether the series will hold up and if the first one was great but the second one is a dud I just figure, oh well at least I enjoyed the first one.

Looking through my calibre library I'm surprised that there are many series that I've finished which means that I liked them.

Fantasy series that have been generally good throughout for me are the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix, Akken Chronicles by Cy Tidd, Dragons of Esternes by Steve Turnbull, King's Blades by Dave Duncan (the first three, each is about a different character), Necromancer's Key by Mitchell Hogan, Queen's Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (minimal fantasy), Sinister Sydney by Aldred Chase, and Temeraire by Naomi Novik.

For non-fantasy, Herbie Kruger by John Gardner, Hornblower by C. S. Forester, Injun and Whitey by William S. Hart (here on mobileread), Lt. Peter Harding by Anthony Melville-Ross, and Nathaniel Drinkwater by Richard Woodman.

For gay series, almost all of the series by Gregory Ashe, for me being Hazard and Somerset, Lamb and the Lion, and Sophistries of June, and the Wyandot County series by Marshall Thornton is looking good so far. (If you like gay romances be sure and read Thornton's Never Rest novel.)

Last edited by hobnail; 05-05-2022 at 03:23 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote